LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2011-03-18, 5:55am
Queen Tut ;)

Default Glass on my torch, oops..

Ok, I was torching last night and some glass flew and stuck to the front of my torch (Nortel Minor). I managed to get most of it off but there's still some stuck inside one of the holes...and it makes the flame on one side burn orange. Is there a way to get the glass out of the hole?

I'm not very handy, so if it involves taking anything apart...it might not be such a good idea.

Help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-18, 6:46am
Nikki Haverstock

I did the same this this week. I let to torch cool then the glass easily chipped of. But I am getting a lot of discoloration on my turquoise. I am not sure if that is the result of my accident or just to hotter torch in general.
Old 2011-03-18, 8:41am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I have done this and here is the fix: light your torch, let it heat up really well. Have a bowl of clean water standing by. Turn off torch, put hot torch head down into water. and then pull it back out. The glass inside should shatter and come out. Let your torch dry out with the nozzle hanging down.

Mine came out first try and has been good as new ever since.
Old 2011-03-18, 9:05am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
I have done this and here is the fix: light your torch, let it heat up really well. Have a bowl of clean water standing by. Turn off torch, put hot torch head down into water. and then pull it back out. The glass inside should shatter and come out. Let your torch dry out with the nozzle hanging down.

If this doesn't work the first time, repeat as necessary. Also, leave the oxy running when you dunk - the pressure might help push the glass out.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-03-18, 10:03am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Any time you 'clean' a torch leave the oxy on to blow out the debris. I hook up air to the fuel and oxy side to blow the crap out.
Old 2011-03-18, 2:04pm
Queen Tut ;)

Thanks, I'll give this a try!

Old 2013-09-26, 12:57pm
Slogan Challenged...

Glad you posted this, having the same problem with my alpha last night. Off to take a look now. It's good to know I might fix it myself!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-09-30, 9:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post

This doesn't warp the metal or anything?? I'm just picturing ruining a hot pan when you put it in cold water after you cook.. =/

"Good judgment comes from experience.. Which, unfortunately, comes from bad judgment."

“Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.”
Old 2013-10-12, 11:33am

it's very hard for a contained circle to deform - not so with a flat plane. as long as the metal wont get brittle/shatter (which SS won't) it shouldn't be a big deal. Restaurant's clean their oven surfaces with this principle just about every night - steam formation releases a lot of energy not to mention the contraction rate difference that is cracking the glass here.

LE members enjoy a 10% discount with coupon code "LEmember"