No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-21, 1:29pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Default I need real purple!!

I need a real purple opaque - not lavender - not ink blue - not amethyst - just grapey grape dark hubba bubba purple. I have glass daddy purple and hawaiian purple and they are really more blue than purple.

I need purple for a team bracelet and encasing with dk amethyst just isn't looking right. I think Bullseye might have a better purple but I don't do bullseye - just 104.

Why can't there be a crayola box grape purple??

Let me know if you know of any.....

Thanks
Audra
Old 2006-11-21, 1:32pm

Have you tried mixing your own with periwinkle and black? Makes a delicious purple, imho. Just remember how much you used... I'm not scientific so say 1 inch of periwinkle and 1/4 inch of black, mix it in and pull it out into stringer or just use the blob if you're after a base bead. Someone else may have better proportions... I just experiment.

Good luck.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2006-11-21, 1:33pm

If you want some BE purple and enough of the other colors you need to make the bracelet let me know
that way you could try some bullseye too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-21, 1:33pm

hey where in central IL are you? I am from galesburg area
so if you need the colors quick it could be there in about 1-2 days

Old 2006-11-21, 1:36pm

check grape is really purple.

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
Old 2006-11-21, 1:48pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

I'll check the "check grape" Who sell that? I've never really looked into the check glass because I read once there were compatibilty issues?

Thanks for the offer medowesky - I'll definately keep it in mind. I've never plunged into Bullseye because of the big investment. The colors are really nice though. I debate whever to jump into a bunch of bullseye glass or boro.

And I will try to mix perriwinkle and black - but I am lousy at color mixing and don't seem to get a consistent color.

Off to search! Thanks!
Audra

Oh - I'm between Decatur and Champaign to answer that question!
Old 2006-11-21, 2:08pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

OK - I just checked the violet at checkglass.com (duh I looked all over for who sold check glass- sometimes the easiest answer is the simplest!) It looks a lot like the "new violet" I have. Can anyone post pics so I can see if it is really purple or another funny lavender? I know some glass looks different after it is worked.

Still on the hunt...
Audra
Old 2006-11-21, 2:22pm

Go to http://jodelglass.com. They have this color, Purple Paradise (LT272), that is absolutely beautiful. You want purple - you couldn't ask for anything more purple. It is lauscha and is sold in different quantities ranging from $7.00 to $27.50. I buy my rods from Jodel - quick service and great packaging.
Old 2006-11-21, 4:46pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Thanks - I think I have that transparent purple - at least the early batch of it and it is a nice purple - but I need opaque. I tried encasing periwinkle with the trans purple and it just didn't work well. I wish they had that shade in an opaque.
Old 2006-11-21, 4:52pm

Could you use the transparent purple over a base of white to make it look opaque?
I know it would lighten the purple a little bit depending on how thick your encasing is but it might work

Old 2006-11-21, 4:58pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Encasing over white really lightened the purple. I then encased over periwinkle and it was better. If I can't find anything else, this may have to do. By the way, is the Bullseye Gold Purple really purpley? I can't find a pic of it.

Thanks!
Old 2006-11-21, 5:32pm

uhhh huh! that and some of the odd lots!! like purpleishious (sp.?)
and gonzo grape. the torch tips are here just click on the color and it will take you to a picture of the glass in beads!

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/connect...ips/index.html

Old 2006-11-21, 5:47pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

The gold purple is the exact purple I need! Now if they only had that in 104 coe!
Old 2006-11-22, 12:35am
Corgi Cult Member

Hey Audra, you must only live a little over an hour away from me!
Kathy

Old 2006-11-22, 4:20am

The quest for a nice, true purple is one I’ve been on since I started lampworking! Thankfully, there’s a lot more available now than there was a few years ago. Have you tried encasing EDP with a thin layer of cobalt? It makes a terrific purple! Unfortunately, this method isn’t an easy one – EDP doesn’t encase very well and you have to be very careful about how much cobalt encasing you use. Effetre’s new dark blue might be easier in this regard, but I haven’t tried it yet.

I have a frit blend called Timeless Purple that makes a great shade of purple when used over Periwinkle.

One of my new blends that I’ll be offering next week, Mystic, is a great purple. Here it is on Uroboros white. If you have Uroboros white, you could get an even richer purple by double dipping it.

If you aren’t looking for any color variance in your beads, then frit probably isn’t an option. I just thought I’d throw that out there! I too wish here was a nice, true purple in rod form. It’s my FAVORITE color!!!

Candy

Old 2006-11-22, 6:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwhite View Post
The gold purple is the exact purple I need! Now if they only had that in 104 coe!
Yep. It's the purples and pinks that make me think the same thing. So why do I stay with 104?
Old 2006-11-22, 7:22am

If you can live with large dark purple dots, then here is a solution: use Moretti 014 medium amber as a base bead; make the base fairly big. Add dots that meet each other of Dark Ivory, Moretti 276. Dk Ivory spreads out big easily. Staggered dots work well. Then add small dots of edp (Moretti 254 purple). They should spread to nearly the edge of the ivory dots. Don't let the edp dots meet each other, or all is lost, the purple is pale and blurry.
When this works, as it almost always does, the dots will nearly cover the bead and be a rich dark purple.

I don't know why this works; it will not work with a base bead of amethyst, strangely. The Med. Amber is the only base bead I know of that works. I just found this all out by accident.
Mary
Old 2006-11-22, 8:23am

Mary,
That sounds interesting. What an accident to find. I'll be checking to see if I have medium amber. My daughter is always looking for purple beads (and is of course drawn to opaque ones .)

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 2006-11-22, 9:04am
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
Hey Audra, you must only live a little over an hour away from me!
Kathy
HA! Where in cornfield purgatory are you?
Old 2006-11-22, 9:10am
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Candy - your frits are absolutely gorgeous - I will definately keep them in mind. Unfortunatly I need a solid purple.

And Kim - thanks for the weight tip. I never thought of weighing the glass. My mixes are always inconsistent if I have to do a set. I've also found some glasses just don't play well together and end up streaky. I guess I need a scale now!

I think we need to form a glass lobby to tell glass manufacturers to get on the ball. We need a decent crayola box purple and pink THAT IS CONSISTENT FROM BATCH TO BATCH. I am assuming purple has gold in it and that may be a factor in why we don't have a 104 color - but I don't really know-chemistry eludes me. Maybe Creation is Messy or AIM will come out with that color. But please no more lavenders.

Thank you everyone for your input!
Audra

Last edited by ajwhite; 2006-11-22 at 9:18am.
Old 2006-11-22, 10:54am

I just got some of the new ASK violet nights. I don't know how it looks after torching, but on the rod it's the closest COE 104 glass to the BE gold purple that I've seen.
Carol

Old 2006-11-22, 6:43pm
It's time to sparkle

If you have time and inclination, there is a color out there that really looks purple in a lot of ways.
It's VP246 Vetrofond/ Murano - Pastel Cobalt Lapis Blue
http://jodelglass.com/shopsite_sc/st...ml/page17.html

The pic makes it look blue and that's what the name says, but it really comes off as a dark purple, especially when next to another color. Sometimes it comes off as navy blue, but I swear I've seen the purple. I would compare it to Minnesota Vikings purple-lots of blue, but still very dark and rich.

Maybe that would help? Good luck on your quest. And yes, Bullseye has the right purple no doubt!

Old 2006-11-22, 7:19pm
Still makin' flowers...

Try PMing Brent (Mr. Smiley). He got some sort of Reichenbach rod from Olympic Color rods which was the best purple. But I can't remember the color number now... Anyhow, it was pretty compatible with moretti if used in small amounts...

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2006-11-23 at 11:30am.
Old 2006-11-22, 7:25pm
boro color bender

Z-99 is the color...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-11-22, 7:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwhite View Post
Encasing over white really lightened the purple. I then encased over periwinkle and it was better. If I can't find anything else, this may have to do. By the way, is the Bullseye Gold Purple really purpley? I can't find a pic of it.

Thanks!
I was trying a base of lavender and encasing with the violet ink blue.. it was a great purple.
Old 2006-11-23, 6:01am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Just a quick note - Z-99 (Zimmerman 99) is NOT compatable with Effetre or any other 104 glass. It is furnace glass - 96 (?) coe. You can use it in SMALL amounts with Effetre, but if you use it large amounts you may have trouble. It is a really lovely purple.
Ditto to what Kimberly said. In small amounts, it seems to be fine. It also seems to spread out and cover a lot of area. I prefer to use it with other furnace glass, so compatability isn't an issue.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-11-23, 8:58am
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Hey Jude - thanks for the tip for the pastel colbalt blue. I have lots of blues but I don't think this one. It does look kinda purpley in her test beads. It is worth a try!

Brent - how do I order from Olympic Color Rods? Are they big honkin rods or are they smaller workable rods? I love furnace glass.

I have a sneeky feeling I'm going to delve into Bullseye. Sigh...I can't keep glass straight the way it is! That will truly be a test of my feeble organizational skills.

Thanks again
Audra
Old 2006-11-23, 10:07am

I love Olympic Color. Here is the link to the Z-99 Purple Rose:

http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...D=106&pID=1215

or you could order the frit. There is a 1/2 kilo minimum on frits though. Personally I find the Purple Rose to be a pain. It tends to devit on me much like EDP. If you want an easy purple I would say go for the BE. They have such beautiful colors.

Old 2006-11-23, 1:50pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

I just remembered I got some of the purple rose from Val Cox a while ago. It devits every single time I use it. Regardless of how cool I work it, how neutral etc - it just devits so it is now sitting in a drawer being punished along with a bunch of EDP. It is pretty glass though .

Where is the best place to buy Bullseye if one were crazy enough to add another line of glass to the sick collection of glass she already has?

Audra
Old 2006-11-23, 2:27pm

Kalera sells by the rod!

www.bridgetownglass.com