Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-08-01, 2:56pm
PyronamixK

Default GTT Scorpion on Regalia melting glass (video)

Just a little bit about the torch: The GTT Scorpion, first introduced in 2009, is the first in the line-up of two-stage standard surface mix torches (non-triple mix) made by GTT. The centerfire is the Cricket and the outerfire is a ring of specially designed jets that optimize fuel and oxygen. The Scorpion can run on low pressure settings, and it also uses a low volume of fuel and oxygen to generate quite a bit of heat. The Scorpion employs GTT's cooling system, so the barrel and valve body remain cool to the touch from about an inch from the face on back.

This is a quick little video my husband (Willy of GTT) and I made of the GTT Scorpion running on a single 10 LPM oxygen concentrator (the Regalia) using very low pressure fuel gas (in this run, propane with my regulator set as low as it could go). This is just a preliminary video. I am also making one with flow meters and whatnot attached to the lines to give a more accurate idea of what this torch consumes in oxygen and fuel.

My previous videos of the GTT Scorpion show the flame sizes available on the Scorpion (I have a few different ones on YouTube, check them out). This video shows how quickly the Scorpion can cut a 1" boro rod while on a 10 LPM oxygen concentrator and low pressure fuel. Willy is a little slow when he does his circular burn-off, but it still only takes just over two minutes (about 2:07 if you time it from the moment the rod is on the roller and in the flame to the moment the last little string of glass is burned off). And keep in mind that this is with a single 10 LPM oxygen concentrator, not two.

The Scorpion can also be run on tanked oxygen, naturally, and it's low fuel and oxygen consumption make it a great torch to run that way, as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgJALkWOBQ8

I also took a video of a run using the Scorpion and two 10 LPM machines. I am excited to share the result of that, as well! I've been away from the Scorpion for too long (I normally use a Phantom). I forgot what a hot flame it throws!
Old 2013-08-01, 3:56pm

I think you could have done that much faster.

Now I need to buy some one inch to try. I use 22 mm for marbles and cut it in around a minute. I use 2 five lpm cons.

How fast was it with 2 10 lpm units? I am wanting to add another con in the near future for a little more oomph.

Chuck
Old 2013-08-01, 4:20pm
PyronamixK

Yes, he could have done it a lot faster. He wasn't pulling it apart, just letting it go pretty much until he had to wrap it off.

What psi are you running for your fuel?
Old 2013-08-01, 4:44pm

Generally around 3. I make it fluctuate and then crank it up til it barely stops. Watching it fluctuate makes me crazy.

I tried 5 psi but it tends to get reducing to easily and messes with my boro. At 3 I still get a decent oxydising flame for working amber purples. I probably need to go a little lighter on fuel for luster colors as they turn to crap to easily.

Then again I am still pretty new to it and it could just be me.

Chuck
Old 2013-08-02, 5:58am
PyronamixK

You should really run your propane to wherever it needs to be for your regulator and adjust your flame chemistry with the torch valves. I set my regulator as low as it could go here just for the sake of a little experiment - to see how hot the Scorpion is while using very low pressure fuel and 10 LPM oxygen.

The glass started to go at 1:32 and was moving quite a bit by 1:39. If Willy had pulled, it would have been cut very shortly thereafter.
Old 2013-08-07, 12:24pm
Missing presumed fed

Kimberly, do you have any comments on running the Scorpion on an Airsep Intensity 10 LPM? Will it do both the inner and outer fires?
Old 2013-08-10, 5:51pm
PyronamixK

Hi Emily, I have not yet tried the AirSep 10 LPM machine on the Scorpion, but I am sure it would run it similarly to the Regalia. The biggest difference would be the breathing.
Old 2013-08-10, 5:58pm
PyronamixK

We ran the melt test again, this time with the flow meters in line. Willy adjusted the flame to a more neutral flame (we used less fuel) and we measured the flow rates as follows:

fuel gas (propane) set at 0 psi on regulator: 4 SCFH (1.9 LPM)
oxygen set to 10 LPM on Regalia: 23 SCFH (10.8 LPM)

The flame was 16" long and the candles were 0.450" long. We forgot to measure the length on the video, but it was about an inch wide at the shoulder.

The Scorpion cut through the 1" rod of boro in 1 min. 38 sec..
Old 2013-08-10, 7:57pm

for reference about 30 seconds on my lynx with tanked. i use 1 inch when i make my larger marbles.
Old 2013-08-11, 4:29pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
for reference about 30 seconds on my lynx with tanked. i use 1 inch when i make my larger marbles.
We'll be doing tests to show what the Scorpion can do on tanked oxygen, as well as on different concentrator set-ups (e.g., 15 LPM and 20 LPM).

When a torch can perform well on a concentrator, that usually means that it makes better use of tanked oxygen, as well. The Scorpion was designed to get more heat out of less fuel and oxygen than other similarly-sized torches. Of course you can get even more heat when increasing the fuel and oxygen available.

The main reason the Scorpion was built was to give people who want/need to use concentrators a torch that could make the most of them. Not everyone wants to use tanked oxygen. Not everyone can use tanked oxygen. For these people, knowing what a torch can do on a concentrator is helpful.
Old 2013-08-11, 7:08pm
PyronamixK

PS, Larry: And another thing to keep in mind... this test was using 10 LPM to feed 13 jets. When you take your oxygen and spread it over that many jets, you will not have the same heat density that you would if you were to confine even that same amount of oxygen to only 5 jets (for the Cricket centerfire, or 7 jets, as in the case of the Lynx you reference).

A narrow, heat-dense flame can cut through a rod faster than a wide flame with less heat density. If my task were only to cut a rod, like for prepping, then I would likely use the centerfire and run longer candles with that 10 LPM. My task here wasn't to cut the rod; I cut the rod to give a picture of the heat the torch has on the oxygen given to it, mainly to compare it to any similarly sized torches run on the same oxygen source.