No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-22, 12:49pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Default The best clear?

I need some opinions here please. What is your favorite clear 104 glass besides DH Aether and why? Thanks.

Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-22, 1:45pm
Duchess of Dichro

Doesn't Davardi make a clear ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-22, 4:31pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thank you Kimberly for an actual answer to my question. I've heard some good things about Moretti Super Clear. Which do you prefer between Super Clear and Vetrofond?

No one else has an opinion on their favorite 104 clear? I've hunted for other older threads on this subject, but I can't seem to find them.

Thanks, Jack

Old 2010-07-22, 4:33pm

I have used Devardi clear with great success. I also use the effetre super clear, and this last batch I got is working very well.

Old 2010-07-22, 4:34pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thank you Sonja.

Jack

Old 2010-07-22, 4:46pm
Peerless Thread Killer

I've been using Effetre Super Clear and loving it, but lately, it's been scumming on me and I'm not sure why. I don't know if it's a different batch or what.
Diamond clear is wonderful, but stiffer and I had it crack with a few colors.
CIM clear scums for me.
I am so perplexed as to why all of the colored transparents are so scum-free, but many times the clears are crapola.

Old 2010-07-22, 4:52pm

I used Vetrofond crystal clear for a couple years with no problem. Last batch I got was horrible. Bubbles galore! Effetre super clear has been ok-I have to pull of the first part.
Old 2010-07-22, 5:16pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thanks for your opinions Nina and Bethany. I'm with you Nina, I'm perplexed too.

Jack

Old 2010-07-22, 5:47pm
Newfoundland lover!

Diamond clear. I have had the greatest success with encasing and little or no problems.

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2010-07-22, 6:00pm
Did someone say SALE?

Lauscha is very clear, but so crack prone. Gotta park those beads HOT HOT HOT to avoid cracks. I would like to try the soft clear.

Kugler- didn't like it.

TAG Clarity - Generally pretty good.

Vetro- I have only gotten the problem batches lately.

Messy - Haven't tried it

Super Clear Effetre - Varies but current batch good.

Diamond Clear- Seems "ok" but haven't used it enough to tell. Lots of people complain about the new batches.

Effetre pale aqua- Nice cheap encasing glass that doesn't get so yellow with silver foil and silver glass.

Nothing quite as good as Aether....imho. Sorry! I wish there were!
Old 2010-07-22, 6:37pm
PyronamixK

Aether is a nice clear, but it has its limitations (that can also be special features with the right glass). It is a very soft clear, so plan accordingly.

I like Effetre and Vetrofond clears. If the rod is thick and scratched up. I can peel it down and get very nice clean clear. It isn't too stiff and it isn't too soupy.

I liked the first batch of CIM special tissue-wrapped clear that I had, but the batch that I just bought isn't so hot - insta-scum. Maybe I am working hotter now than I used to work.
Old 2010-07-22, 7:29pm

I like Super Clear, but it seems a little scummy lately.

Old 2010-07-22, 8:38pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thank you everyone for your opinions on clears and their working properties. I really appreciate it.

Maybe I'll start encasing with pale aqua or pale blue, or I could get a rod of each, then just try them out and go from there. Now I wonder where I could get a rod of each clear to try.

Oh Reenie...

Thanks again, Jack

Old 2010-07-23, 6:01am
Bead Crone

The latest batch of Effetre Super Clear is faboo. No scumming for me, and it's soft and buttery.
Old 2010-07-23, 6:21am
Formerly FishBulb

Nobody has mentioned Reichenbach Crystal 104. Delicious and incredibly clear. The only problem is that it is very, very stiff so it's difficult to use for encasing.

I love Reichenbach 104 *anything* and this clear is fabulous.

I'm glad to hear Effetre has a good batch again. I used to have good luck with it, and now I'm finding it scummy. Maybe I'll have to try a new batch and keep this other stuff for filler glass.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-07-23, 6:48am
Did someone say SALE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
Nobody has mentioned Reichenbach Crystal 104. Delicious and incredibly clear. The only problem is that it is very, very stiff so it's difficult to use for encasing.

I love Reichenbach 104 *anything* and this clear is fabulous.

I'm glad to hear Effetre has a good batch again. I used to have good luck with it, and now I'm finding it scummy. Maybe I'll have to try a new batch and keep this other stuff for filler glass.
I knew I forgot one! Yes, I agree.
Old 2010-07-23, 7:44am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I don't care for Moretti Super Clear, Vetrofond or CIM clear. They all get scummy for me. Aether is very nice, but expensive and it does tend to turn some silver colors over to the greenish side. So my favorite clear is Lauscha. I've used it with silver glass and have not had any problems with cracks. I think Reichenbach and Kugler clears are ok too.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2010-07-23, 8:02am

Exactly. And I use Vetrofond or Effetre clears. I don't find too much difference between the two. The super clear is nice too. I cut about 1 1/2" pieces of a 10mm rod and put them into my kiln. I heat a clear rod and grab one, clean or peal if necessary but not always, and blob encase for my last encasement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post

I like Effetre and Vetrofond clears. If the rod is thick and scratched up. I can peel it down and get very nice clean clear. It isn't too stiff and it isn't too soupy.

Old 2010-07-23, 8:23am
To bead Yeah! ;)

I use the Moretti super and crystal clear, but can't say that they are without flaws. when you heat the rod you see the imperfections. I have NO cracking issues with Moretti this is my main reason for using it, no problems with encasing silverglass. It is a nice soft glass. The thick rods need so much heating if you have hard rods, and I don't have the patients for that,
I do wipe my rods before I use them and don't have greasy hands( hand lotions etc)

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2010-07-23, 8:25am
Lampworkaholic!

R104 crystal is great but stiff. There is a R104 soft crystal out that I plan to try soon.

Aether is a pleasure to use but does react with some silver reducing glass, luckily not with the striking silvers which I favor.

I also like to encase in pale transparent colors if I want to play up a pink, lavender, blue or green tonality.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-07-23, 8:28am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Only one "smart-a**" out of everyone who chimed in! I knew there were helpful artists here who would want to help a fellow artisan with a decision!!! Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to give their honest opinions. It's much appreciated.

Jack

Last edited by J&M; 2010-07-23 at 8:42am.
Old 2010-07-23, 1:30pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliedana1 View Post
Doesn't Davardi make a clear ?
Yes, Devardi DOES make a clear.

Speaking of Devardi, isn't it great to see Daniel and Natasha doing so well now Leslie?!! After all those immature and nasty people raked them over the coals for no good reason.

I guess sometimes the "nice guys" DO win, huh!

Jack

Old 2010-07-23, 4:47pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I use Reichenbach Crystal 104 for encasement all the time. I love it for silver glass, but it will test your heat control due to its stiffness.

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-07-23, 5:03pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I'm gonna try the Reichenbach as well as the Moretti, Vetrofond and TAG Clarity.

Jack

Old 2010-07-24, 8:29am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Jack, would you like a couple of rods of the clarity, reichenback, super clear moretti and vetrofond? I could spare a couple of each, although my clarity is seconds, but then you wouldn't be stuck with a 1/4 lb of each.

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-07-24, 11:26am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Joy, that's sooooo kind of you to offer!! I really appreciate it, but I already have a rod of each on their way to me as I write this.

What a GREAT idea Kimberly! I've been using the Lauscha reformulated for a while now. I've often wondered about the clarity compared to others. I will definately give your idea a try when my rods arrive. Thank you very much!

Jack

Old 2010-07-24, 2:13pm

I just found this thread lol.
Hopefully you'll have your glass by Monday Jack. I hope one of them will work for you. I also have some Lauscha stored here for you if you decide you want some of that.
Still haven't tested it to see if it was the reform or the soft clear. I'll get on that before then

Old 2010-07-24, 3:02pm
I'm meeeeelting

I've had pretty good luck with thick rods of Effetre clear that have been soaked in vinegar to clean out the scratches.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2010-07-24, 6:51pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thank you Reenie and Felicia!

Jack

Old 2010-07-24, 8:24pm
Puddy Cat Lover

I use different clear glass for different things. The best for me was lauscha for it's clarity. But I've also had great success with melting a big glob of effetre and picking out any scum or inclusions and then pulling slowly into a thick stringer. Then I know it's a clean clear glass that will work great for encasing any 104 glass that I have.