No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-09-01, 8:05am
Ellyloo-YAH!

Default Book Reviews?

I apologize if this is RIGHT under my nose, but I've done a couple of searches and become discouraged...

is there a thread with a compiled list of books that people have found useful ?
I'm taking a workshop, but would really appreciate a book with good photos of different techniques that I can soak up to pass time in the month before I start lampwork.

thanks in advance!
Old 2006-09-01, 2:16pm

There are a few here: http://sgb-midatlantic.org/book_reviews.html

JanMD
Old 2006-09-01, 8:05pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Great!
It's one thing to read titles on a list, another to know whether they're a help or not, ya know?

Thanks, that's a great resource.
Old 2006-09-01, 9:14pm
product of the universe

Contemperary lampworking is a great book. Its a Two book set with Lots of info and lots of pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2006-09-02, 10:43am
Butterfly Rancher

Here are brief reviews for the books I've looked at in the past year:

Kimberly Adams -- The Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking: I think this is an excellent first book because it's a solid overview of equipment, basic techniques and then it progresses to other topics like enameling, silver, etc. The instructions could be more detailed but if you're in a class and reading LE, you can always get more details on topics that you're interested in. Rating: Good Newbie book.

Cindy Jenkins -- Making Glass Beads: good basic book. She's working with a Hot Head but gives good directions for all basic techniques. I think there was a recent updating but the copy I had from the library was a bit dated in places. Rating: Good Newbie book.

Kervin's -- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Glass Beadmaking: The first few chapters are excellent if you decide to set-up a studio. Gives information on different torches, oxycons, etc. The rest of the book is extremely detailed and covers everything from lampworking to fusing and beyond. I use this book as a reference when I want to answer obscure questions like the chemistry of various glasses but I don't use if very much for lampworking techniques. Rating: essential for studio set-up.

Cindy Jenkins -- Beads of Glass: 1st half is bio's of lots of different artists. The 2nd half gives techniques for making various signature beads. Sometimes when I feel stuck, I'll open to a technique at random and see what kind of variations I can make. Rating: better with some basic skills under your belt.

Then, of course, is Corina's Passing the Flame. The sections with instructions for various beads is excellent -- I wish more writers would copy her step-by-step tutorial style. Most everything else in PTF has been updated in other books and/or available on LE. I definitely don't think it's worth the retail price.

I've acquired other booklets on specific techniques, but I'd go with either Adams or Jenkins for a first book -- the price is right and both are very good overviews.

Good luck.
Old 2006-09-02, 3:50pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Yes!
This is what I needed.
Old 2006-09-02, 4:43pm

hi really depends on what you want to start with ? if its beads I suggest cindy's books. I do love the contempary lampworker set it is wonderful and includes diffrent kinds of glass work. good luck
Old 2006-09-06, 3:27pm
It's time to sparkle

I second Kimberly Adam's book as highly recommended. My good friend is getting into torching and that was the book I got for her for when I'm not there.