Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-05, 6:21pm
Slogan Challenged...

Question How long should a bulk propane tank last?

I upgraded from a hothead to an alpha burner. I am using BBQ size bulk propane tank. I had read that some lampworkers change out tanks every two or three months, torching full time. One even mentioned six months. I find myself changing out tanks about every three weeks. There are no leaks. I was running it at 5, now adjusted to 2-3. Is this normal?

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2013-10-05, 6:32pm

I figure 3-4 K tanks per 20 lbs of propane. Others may be using 40, 60 or 100 lb tanks...

Old 2013-10-05, 6:52pm
Slogan Challenged...

Thanks, Raimond. I should edit to mean, changing out the propane tanks if that wasn't clear. I can see how you would ratio that, but I am on an oxycon. You are saying that a propane tank lasts about 30-40 hours for you? What kind of torch?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-10-05, 6:57pm

That seems fast to me. I only torch on weekends, but mine last almost a year. GTT Bobcat, at 5. I do small soft glass.
Old 2013-10-05, 7:00pm

I use up a tank every three weeks.. I torch on the weekends, but for at least 5 hours per session. I am on a hothead.
Old 2013-10-05, 7:03pm
Slogan Challenged...

The weather here has been VERY hot, and I wonder if that has to do with it. However, when it was cooler it still surprised me how fast I seemed to go through them. I torch on average 30 hours a week, give or take.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-10-05, 7:04pm
Slogan Challenged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherri View Post
I use up a tank every three weeks.. I torch on the weekends, but for at least 5 hours per session. I am on a hothead.
With a hothead, I went through tanks fast too. I couldn't see how the tank time would be close to the same as what I used before but it is similar.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2013-10-06 at 11:21am.
Old 2013-10-05, 7:25pm

My useage is based on a Bravo and a Phantom.
I melt boro so I use the outer ring which will burn more money, I mean propane...

Old 2013-10-05, 7:35pm
Slogan Challenged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimond View Post
My useage is based on a Bravo and a Phantom.
I melt boro so I use the outer ring which will burn more money, I mean propane...

LOL. I'm hearing that!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-10-05, 7:35pm

I run a Lynx w/2 oxycons about 40 - 50 per week. Propane set to 4 and a bbq size tank lasts 3 - 4 weeks. Soft glass beads.

Old 2013-10-06, 2:12am
offically down under

I torch about 30+hours a week and my 20 lb BBQ bottle lasts about 3 + months with a cricket and an 8lpm oxy con.

Old 2013-10-06, 8:07am
Gentleman of Leisure

Another issue may be where you are getting a tank.... IF you are using exchange tanks they may not be as full as you expect.... Have heard rumors that some exchange tanks are not being filled to max volume to keep pricing in the $20 per exchange range.... To see how much propane you are actually getting, weigh tank, subtract "Tare" weigh of tank (usually stamped on tank safety collar) and resulting weight will be amount of propane in tank... Propane weights about 4.2 pounds to the gallon... ... BBQ sized tanks (five gallon/#20 pound) with OPD valve should be able to be filled to approximate 4.7 gallons ... You should have a resulting weight of about 19.7 lbs for 4.7 gallons of propane after tare weight of tank is subtracted (usually about 20 pounds)...

Also try to actually log hours of use, days or week or months of use is too ambiguous as all people spend different amounts of time (hours) on torch over days weeks and months...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-10-06, 11:02am
Slogan Challenged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjBeads View Post
I run a Lynx w/2 oxycons about 40 - 50 per week. Propane set to 4 and a bbq size tank lasts 3 - 4 weeks. Soft glass beads.
This is basically what I am doing....although a Lynx is bigger. So this is a similar use pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
That seems fast to me. I only torch on weekends, but mine last almost a year. GTT Bobcat, at 5. I do small soft glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
I torch about 30+hours a week and my 20 lb BBQ bottle lasts about 3 + months with a cricket and an 8lpm oxy con.
See, it's accounts like this that make me question my use rate. That is wonderful, I wish mine worked that way!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2013-10-06 at 11:08am.
Old 2013-10-06, 11:07am
Slogan Challenged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Another issue may be where you are getting a tank.... IF you are using exchange tanks they may not be as full as you expect.... Have heard rumors that some exchange tanks are not being filled to max volume to keep pricing in the $20 per exchange range.... To see how much propane you are actually getting, weigh tank, subtract "Tare" weigh of tank (usually stamped on tank safety collar) and resulting weight will be amount of propane in tank... Propane weights about 4.2 pounds to the gallon... ... BBQ sized tanks (five gallon/#20 pound) with OPD valve should be able to be filled to approximate 4.7 gallons ... You should have a resulting weight of about 19.7 lbs for 4.7 gallons of propane after tare weight of tank is subtracted (usually about 20 pounds)...

Also try to actually log hours of use, days or week or months of use is too ambiguous as all people spend different amounts of time (hours) on torch over days weeks and months...

Dale
Thanks for the details on how to weigh the tank. You are right, I exchange those. Their tanks are not always the best, either.

So, this sounds like a normal use rate to you, that I am falling within an average zone? I shouldn't worry, as long as there are no leaks?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2013-10-06 at 11:20am.
Old 2013-10-06, 1:37pm

Also, the quality of propane in the exchange tanks has been discussed and many believe it is not as clean as what you get at your local propane vendor. I always get mine refilled at my local welding shop...

Old 2013-10-06, 1:52pm
I'm meeeeelting

I use exchange tanks and have never had a problem with the propane quality.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-10-06, 2:04pm

I didn't imply there is a problem with the quality, only that many feel that there is.

I use the local welding shop as I support the small business owners and I do not like leaving my tank unguarded outside of the big retail stores while I wait in line to pay for an exchange.

Old 2013-10-06, 3:03pm
Artistically Absorbed

I have an alpha too. I would say it is good for about 7-10 long torch sessions...10 if they are 6-8 hours, and 7 or so if they are 10 hour. I guess what I'm saying is probably 70-80 hours on average for me per 20lb tank.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-10-06, 4:17pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimond View Post
Also, the quality of propane in the exchange tanks has been discussed and many believe it is not as clean as what you get at your local propane vendor. I always get mine refilled at my local welding shop...

Quite frankly I think that is a myth..... OR old wives tail not backed up from any credible source.... All propane comes from refining petroleum products...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-10-06, 4:21pm

Could be, I have not had an issue with propane myself. However, gasoline comes from the same crude oil and there are stations that do not maintain their systems as well as others thus the quality of the end product is compromised.

Last edited by Raimond; 2013-10-07 at 7:12am.
Old 2013-10-06, 10:15pm
Slogan Challenged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
I have an alpha too. I would say it is good for about 7-10 long torch sessions...10 if they are 6-8 hours, and 7 or so if they are 10 hour. I guess what I'm saying is probably 70-80 hours on average for me per 20lb tank.
That sounds a lot more like my experience. Not a bad average, just not expected. Thanks!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Tags
bulk propane, duration, propane tank