No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-01, 2:50am
all for the love of glass

Default flat lap machine

I'd put this in the bathroom for quick opinions but by the time most numbers are in the br I am in bed fast asleep.
I want to start doing some cold working on the beads but don't want to spend tooooo much.
I found this today and need some expert opinions..I know some of you do this work. This is a 6" for 260.00 ..[click on pic to go to the site] What do you think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2013-08-01, 4:02am
Unmedicated since '62

Pretty cool! We would pay way more than that here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-08-01, 5:19am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Don't do it - I have one and HATE.IT. Unless they have improved a ton, I wouldn't want it even if it were free.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2013-08-01, 5:29am
Growing Edge Glass

I don't have a flat lap but this one seems to be popular...

http://www.ameritool-inc.com/store/i...sories-kit.cfm

Ameritool also sells diamond discs that can be used on any grinding machine motor that uses flat discs..supposedly. I haven't tried these yet but will probably gets some discs to try on my Diamond Max.

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~

Last edited by Truewealth; 2013-08-01 at 5:32am.
Old 2013-08-01, 6:03am

Looks like a pretty good deal... Just keep in mind that those things are smaller than they sound: between the center spike and the cover over the back half of the disc, you don't have a huge amount of room to play... How big are the beads you'll be cold working? Will you have enough room to move them around on the front (slightly-less-than-) half of the disc? (one of the good things about this system is that if you *do* outgrow the 6", you can upgrade it to an 8" without having to buy an entire new machine; and you can also turn it into a saw, if you ever want a one of those)

[disclaimer: i haven't played with these; i mostly cold work paperweights and larger blown stuff, and 8" was too small... i've got a crystalmaster pro, which i mostly <3]

Last edited by dsglass; 2013-08-01 at 6:09am.
Old 2013-08-01, 6:10am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The water supply contraption for it is beyond ridiculous - seriously, it's a piece of shit.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2013-08-01, 6:19am

What do you hate about it Suid? The ameritool is quite a bit more although of course it's worth it in the long run sometimes..
I never noticed that potential upgrade in size feature..very nice.
However, the one who has it HATES it..that's not good.
I don't know if I want to spend 600 on something that may outlast my interest. Such an expensive toy.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2013-08-01, 6:20am

it doesn't supply enough water? or any..??

Old 2013-08-01, 6:21am

sell me yours Squid

Old 2013-08-01, 6:26am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It's hard to take apart - VERY hard at times
It shakes like crazy
It won't stay drained of water - I have to stop about every 15 minutes and manually drain it, which requires taking it apart
The water feed feature is the stupidest thing I have ever seen - incredibly hard to adjust, has to be refilled about every minutes and just a general POS.

I seriously can't emphasize enough how much I hate using mine. The only reason I haven't gotten rid of it is I haven't used it in two years - because I hate it. It's a catch-22.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2013-08-01, 6:29am

well thats not a good review..I guess its a case of getting what I pay for..thanks Linda. I will sit on it til the next time I look at one of those beauties and want to do one!

Old 2013-08-01, 8:13am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I have this one & it's easy to use. I'm not very knowledgeable about how to use one, but it's user friendly. I still have a lot to learn about the different discs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truewealth View Post
I don't have a flat lap but this one seems to be popular...

http://www.ameritool-inc.com/store/i...sories-kit.cfm

Ameritool also sells diamond discs that can be used on any grinding machine motor that uses flat discs..supposedly. I haven't tried these yet but will probably gets some discs to try on my Diamond Max.

Vivian

-

Old 2013-08-01, 8:38am

thanks Vivian..2 for ameritools.

Old 2013-08-01, 3:51pm
too many rods in the fire

Three for the Ameritool!! I love, love, love mine. Super easy to use, does a very nice job and well worth the money, IMO.

And here's the thing - if you end up buying one and down the road realize you really aren't into using it enough to keep it, there will ALWAYS be people here on LE that would be interested in buying it from you. And they are like torches - very little depreciation.

Old 2013-08-01, 4:47pm

I have an Ameritool as well but if I had a "do over" on the buy, I would get the other one... oh, crud, what's its name? It'll come to me.... that one has magnetic discs that change easily. The Ameritool disc's don't seem as good to me as the .... --- ... , yeah, that one I can't remember. Give me a minute... brb, gonna run a quick search.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-08-01, 4:55pm
Playing with Fire!

Sue, I think you are referring to the Crystal Master Pro 12 ... that's the one we have in the studio. Just bought a new one to add to the shop.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2013-08-01, 5:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Slawson View Post
Sue, I think you are referring to the Crystal Master Pro 12 ... that's the one we have in the studio. Just bought a new one to add to the shop.
Yes, one like you have at the studio but what's its brand name? I can't think of it... this getting old stuff is for the birds!

I think the discs last better on the flat lap you have than the 8" Ameritool that I bought. Yours was pricier though but I think ya get what you pay for. The Ameritool is good but yours is better.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-08-02, 5:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
Yes, one like you have at the studio but what's its brand name? I can't think of it... this getting old stuff is for the birds!

Sue
I believe the brand name is Crystalite. This is the lap that came highly recomended to me, but it will probably take awhile before I splurge on this. They suggested the 12 inch was the way to go.

Darrell
Old 2013-08-02, 8:18am

Does anyone use a Diamond Max? I have one from my stained glass days and I bought the kit to turn it into a flat lap, I have not used it yet. have had it for years.

Old 2013-08-02, 8:54am
Hello?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Don't do it - I have one and HATE.IT. Unless they have improved a ton, I wouldn't want it even if it were free.
What she said.

Mine lasted maybe a year. The set screw strips easily and the motor will burn out quickly.

Old 2013-08-02, 9:54am
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena View Post
Does anyone use a Diamond Max? I have one from my stained glass days and I bought the kit to turn it into a flat lap, I have not used it yet. have had it for years.
I have the diamond max and have been looking at purchasing the set of lap discs from ameritool so that I can do lapidary and glass on it.

Open that thing up and give it a whirl...then report back!!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2013-08-02, 2:33pm
Wyoming Silvers

I have a diamond max , been using it abt 5 years. I use it a lot. Have to purchase replacement steel discs about once a year,, I like that I use sandpaper discs on it w different grits for different results. It is messy, water shield is necessary. It works for me, would love to be able to afford one of the nicer ones, but this will do until the time comes.

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2013-08-02, 5:50pm
Senior Moment

I have the inland and have really had no problems with it, other than the motor, but they replaced it. I have no issues with the water, but you need to be sure the machine is level. Its a great lap for small items. If you are planning on using it for larger or heavy items, like fused plates, I would buy one with more power. Look around, they go on sale often.

Old 2013-08-03, 3:09am
Unmedicated since '62

I'm going to make one, all you need is an old washing machine motor

http://www.hisglassworks.com/files/lapplans.pdf

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-08-03, 7:30am
Lover of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
I'm going to make one, all you need is an old washing machine motor

http://www.hisglassworks.com/files/lapplans.pdf
Now that looks interesting! I might have to try, but probably won't get around to it for ages. Deb, if you get yours built, please show and share!!

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2013-08-03, 7:53am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

The best hands down, not cheap though http://www.aswdiamond.com/

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2013-08-06, 11:19pm

Ameritool wins out..I just broke down and ordered this one
now I can't wait for it to get here!

Thank you everyone!! ..you were a big help♥♥

Old 2013-08-06, 11:20pm

I'd like to order the biggest and the best glassfreek, that one looks amazing..someday when I have my own studio maybe

Old 2013-08-07, 7:30am
Growing Edge Glass

congrats on ordering!

I'm going to have to get this one too as I just found out that I can't retro-fit my Diamond Max Deluxe with Ameritool's diamond discs...different sized arbor. It's just as well though because I'll be doing lots of work on it.

I'll order the same one you did...hope you'll post some pics of what you do on the machine!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2013-08-07, 8:22am

hey thats great Mikelene..I'll post if you will! Let me know when you start playing!