No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-19, 7:45pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks for the pics, Jim and Bubby.

Jim, did you get that sampler Express mailed? Did it cost much for Express?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-19, 7:49pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks for the pictures!

I like the way a couple of the greens look. And, the pink does look good!
I might look at the auctions to see if there are any BINS to try some. I don't bid on glass.

Old 2009-01-19, 7:50pm
Wahwahbabypants

The pink is yummmmmmy.....

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-01-19, 8:00pm
Just me

Here's a pic of their color chart. I saw it when I picked up the glass but didn't get a chance to look at it as well as I'd like. Jim was nice enough to send me a copy.
There are some colors there I wouldn't mind trying. Especially the pinks.

Old 2009-01-19, 8:12pm
Wahwahbabypants

...at least 1/2 dozen pretty pinks there. I am cautiously hopeful that this is legit. Bubby what is your gut feeling? (don't mean to put pressure on you!)

Old 2009-01-19, 8:22pm

Jim,
Thanks for posting your assesment of this glass alot of us appreciate your efforts. We aren't all so quick to be acusatory or nasty so please don't give up on the rest of us.
Old 2009-01-19, 8:32pm

I think in the furture people may want to wait for proof BEFORE accusing people. Jim didn't start this thread, and was nastily attacked for doing what was asked of him.

I don't know who is right but my gut is with Jim.

Even if he was what you believe for the good of the forum all you had to do was not buy the stinking glass, wait for someone on your safe list to try it, or be the guinea pig and try it yourself. Attacking like this without solid proof is wrong and it makes this forum small and very mean.

Now you can roast me over hot coals instead of Jim.
Old 2009-01-19, 8:32pm
I'm a lilac!

I don't think anyone was being nasty, Alison! Honestly, remember the Monique scandal? it sucks, but some of us HAVE been taken in, and it makes us less trusting and more questioning than if we hadn't. I'm perfectly willing to try this glass, personally, especially the pinks... I just kind of want to hear from someone I know for sure isn't affiliated with the seller in any way, before I shell out for it. It shouldn't be more than a few more days before other people get theirs and have a chance to try it.

Old 2009-01-19, 8:35pm

She wasn't even civil.
Old 2009-01-19, 8:38pm

Is "she" me? What did I say that was nasty or uncivil?

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-19, 8:38pm

Thank you Alison. I should have introduced myself when I joined LE. I, in no way, am associated with the sellers of this glass. I finally had time to place my order tonight. They are sold out of the dark rose transparent and I had to take 8mm size in the butterscotch. He said they had packed and shipped all day, with orders up to 25 lbs. of glass goiing out. They said they will have more in, including every color on the chart. They plan to order in two weeks, and it takes about two months to receive it. Someone else will have to post when it arrives, as I will just order and keep my big mouth shut.
My wife and I have worked too hard over the years to obtain the reputation we have. We do not play such games. I am looking forward to reading others opinion on the glass. I mean the ones that actually try it.
I hope to remain on the board, as I have learned much from a lot of you and I "Thank you." If I can ever be of any assistance, please let me know. You will find out, as time passes, I do not own Devardi Glass, or I would have a ton of that dark rose transparent glass.
Have a good evening.
Jim
Old 2009-01-19, 8:42pm

Ha! Anyone who *doesn't* remember the Monique scandal, we'd be happy to give you some links ...I believe those threads are locked for all eternity over @ WC, so they're still searchable & you can find where she trips herself up & accidentally posts as herself under the wrong account (or was it as the lawyer under her account? who knows )

Those pinks look ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! (and that white/pink bead is yummy...)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-19, 8:42pm
offically down under

Thanks for the photos. I does look nice fingers crossed there are no compatibility issues.

Old 2009-01-19, 8:44pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_hornik View Post
Is "she" me? What did I say that was nasty or uncivil?
It could be me LOL

Old 2009-01-19, 8:45pm

I'm gonna stalk for that pink....two months huh?....hmm....I think even if it *does* have compatability issues, I still want some of that dark pink...just for hearts & spacers & such!! It's too pretty a color not to have!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-19, 8:53pm
Just me

I'm pretty bummed I didn't get that dark rose transparent in my sampler. If my testing goes well I'll have to see about getting some when they get more in.

My gut feeling about this glass is mixed. It's clean and it all looks good, with the exception of the bubbles in the clear but the description of splintering and foaming kind of concerns me a little.
I won't really be able to form a real opinion until I get to melt it. I am hoping to get to the torch tomorrow evening and will post what I can the following day. Best I could do for now.

Old 2009-01-19, 8:57pm
Wahwahbabypants

oooooo luna we're gonna have a smack down for that pink glass!

Old 2009-01-19, 8:58pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
Thank you Alison. I should have introduced myself when I joined LE. I, in no way, am associated with the sellers of this glass. I finally had time to place my order tonight. They are sold out of the dark rose transparent and I had to take 8mm size in the butterscotch. He said they had packed and shipped all day, with orders up to 25 lbs. of glass goiing out. They said they will have more in, including every color on the chart. They plan to order in two weeks, and it takes about two months to receive it. Someone else will have to post when it arrives, as I will just order and keep my big mouth shut.
My wife and I have worked too hard over the years to obtain the reputation we have. We do not play such games. I am looking forward to reading others opinion on the glass. I mean the ones that actually try it.
I hope to remain on the board, as I have learned much from a lot of you and I "Thank you." If I can ever be of any assistance, please let me know. You will find out, as time passes, I do not own Devardi Glass, or I would have a ton of that dark rose transparent glass.
Have a good evening.
Jim
I believe you when you say you don't own it... it's just that you seem very intertwined with them, and know a lot about them, seem to talk to them a lot and know a lot about their business, have the color chart, and got your order in two days from Washington to Virginia, as well as being the only person who's testimonials appear in their auctions, so it makes me wonder if you know them personally or are related to them in any way?

Please don't be offended by my asking, I'm just curious because of all the things I've mentioned. I'm interested in the glass, and I'll most likely be buying when some other reports roll in. It's just that I don't know you from Adam so I'm reserving judgment for now.

Old 2009-01-19, 9:18pm

Barb, I found a few of the colors slightly shocky. I then introduced them into the flame very slowly with no problems. There was no problems when I warmed the glass in the kiln. I really want to disclose everything, as I have already, and let you know. I received, as a gift, the last three dark rose rods they had. But, I think they are the size of a log. I think he said 10-12 mm. My total finally went to thirty pounds. The shipping was not bad, especially from Washington to Virginia.
We are all looking forward to your glass tests. Thanks for taking the time you have with this.
You are the only one that has met and viewed this operation, could we count on you to stalk it near the time it's shipment is supposed to arrive?
Later, Jim
Old 2009-01-19, 9:28pm
Creatrixie

Thanks for sharing your testing and pics through Bubby, Jim.

I was just speaking to a friend tonight who said she had ordered some of the Devardi glass. Now I'm excited to try it out with her when I visit in February. She and I will have a good time exploring a new glass.

Cheers,
~Mary.

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2009-01-19, 9:32pm

Kalera, No, I do not know them and I definately am not related to them. I have never talked with them over the phone, only by email. I ask a lot of questions. I even had to ask him to email me the chart. I only found out tonight when they planned to reorder the glass. I'm sorry I relayed so much information to all of you. I guess I was excited about the glass and it was overload. Less and maybe I would not be on here defending myself. Some of you are not worth my time. I would take a lie detector test, if it was possible. I do not think some on this board would believe me after that. But, you know what, I don't think this board is worthy of someone that has tried to help them and do exactly as they asked one to do.
You know what you can do with your "reserved judgment." I will be the gentleman I am and not tell you. Don't buy the glass - I could care less. No money out of my pocket.
Sarah - Do them a favor and "Don't buy the glass!"
Barb lives ten minutes from them. She is the only one that has met them I know of.
If you have further questions, maybe she could answer them. I'm through with all of this Bullshit! Not worth it.
Jim
Old 2009-01-19, 9:53pm
Just me

Can I just say I posted the color chart on my own. I didn't talk to Jim about it at all.
I did it so you could all see the colors they have in their line. I didn't mean for it to be used as another piece of proof that maybe Jim isn't what he says he is.

Jim and I have PM'd and emailed each other a few times over the last few days. He asked a lot of questions about my experience with the owners, the glass I bought and what my cost was buying directly as well as what kinds of colors if any they had that were unique or odd before he got his glass chart emailed to him. I don't know him from Adam but the feeling I get is he doesn't know them and isn't the owner either. My impression is he's just excited by a new inexpensive glass and was glad to be able to share his experience with it.

In all honesty I was wondering about him at first too, I told him so today. Not to mention I had more at stake here by dealing with the owners directly at their home. Being almost 7 months pregnant I'm cautious.
I had decided to wait and see Jim's bead pictures, hear about his experiences and see what happens, benefit of the doubt so to speak. I was hoping every one else would do that too. At the same time I just knew this was going to happen. I do understand your concerns and suspicions. I just think it could've been handled more carefully.

A big part of the reason I bought the glass is it's close by and I didn't have a lot to lose besides $30 and figured you guys here know me and would trust my opinion since I've been here so long.
I also want to say, I'm not directing this post to anyone specifically and am not trying to make anyone feel bad. I'm just saying what I've experienced the past several days and hope it sheds some light on the situation too.

ETA: Jim you posted while I was typing mine out and now we sound like we've been comparing notes. Lol. Not the case I can assure everyone.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2009-01-19 at 11:18pm. Reason: Adding and ETA
Old 2009-01-19, 10:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbyanne View Post
Not to mention I had more at stake here by dealing with the owners directly at their home. Being almost 7 months pregnant I'm cautious.
You are Barb, right? Are you aware that you are being referred to in the seller's auctions this week?

Quote:
I talked with Barb and she said she bought an assortment and picked it up. She said she was coming back, as she wanted some of the light rose.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1lb-Devardi-Glas...1%7C240%3A1318

This might not bother you - maybe it shouldn't, but I don't think I would like my past and future actions being made public on eBay without my permission. Just wondering.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-19, 10:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
Sarah - Do them a favor and "Don't buy the glass!"
How would that be doing them a favor?

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-19, 10:06pm
Just me

Thanks Sarah, I hadn't seen that until now.
I need to digest it a bit before know how to feel about it.
I appreciate you sharing the information with me.
Quote:
You are Barb, right? Are you aware that you are being referred to in the seller's auctions this week?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1lb-Devardi-Glas...1%7C240%3A1318

This might not bother you - maybe it shouldn't, but I don't think I would like my past and future actions being made public on eBay without my permission. Just wondering.

Old 2009-01-19, 10:28pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbyanne View Post
I'm pretty bummed I didn't get that dark rose transparent in my sampler. If my testing goes well I'll have to see about getting some when they get more in.

My gut feeling about this glass is mixed. It's clean and it all looks good, with the exception of the bubbles in the clear but the description of splintering and foaming kind of concerns me a little.
I won't really be able to form a real opinion until I get to melt it. I am hoping to get to the torch tomorrow evening and will post what I can the following day. Best I could do for now.
Thanks for posting that pic Bubby.
I went ahead and bough some too so I'll get to play a bit when it gets here.
Looking forward to seeing your results!

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-01-19, 10:52pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Maybe we can try to keep this thread on track and not have come backs and negative jabs, sigh.

Old 2009-01-19, 11:00pm

That was posted on the auction without my permission too. I am emailing them about that tomorrow.
I was working on my order and had to email them concerning some colors. Barb had mentioned she had not received the light rose in her sampler. I wanted to make them aware they had left it out and she was planning to pick it up. No problem here. I will ask them to remove it from the auction. Permission should have been given.
One can go through my posts, cut and paste, and make a lot of things look out of context. I do not resort to that. You know, there are some bored individuals out there.
Jim
Old 2009-01-19, 11:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
Maybe we can try to keep this thread on track and not have come backs and negative jabs, sigh.
This post is self-contradictory.

|
|
|
Old 2009-01-19, 11:03pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Quote:
This post is self-contradictory.
Why is that? I didn't point fingers, like you just did. Also, there is more than one person that is making jabs.

ugggh, Where's the white flag

Tags
devardi, missing posts?