Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-24, 6:51am

Chris H.,
When you get your lot would you mind seeing how it coilpots and blows. The thicker viscosity is very appealing. I blow 2-3 inch ornaments and love some of these colors. I am ready to sell off alll of my 104 because I love the 96 for blowing. I need to get off my butt and order some, but I am trying to avoid buying any more 104 that I'll probably want to sell off anyway.

Thanks everyone for all the info.
Old 2009-01-24, 7:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn h View Post
Question? Do you think the postage is steep or fair?
Average.
5# glass, plus postage, came in just change under $40. I think averaged out, that's cheap enough to try it & see if you like it, hate it, whatever. I just picked colors I could use as plain pressed spacers, or lightly fritted spacers, or as hearts & be fairly sure they'd either sell, or in the case of the purple, head right out to beads-of-courage.
~luna
still regretting one of those colors wasn't semi-opaque marine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-24, 9:09am

Just ordered 5 1/2 lbs.

On the color chart it didn't have names. Is there a chart that has this?

I ordered some by number and some by name off of ebay.

Anxious to hear and recieve.

Marilyn
Old 2009-01-24, 9:12am

Is there a color chart with names? I just ordered some with names and some with numbers on the color chart. Hope it isn't confusing.

Just updated my email to you.

Last edited by marilyn h; 2009-01-24 at 9:22am. Reason: addition
Old 2009-01-24, 9:39am
yukue fumei

thanks Natasha--
I know you are busy, but when you order, can you ask the factory to send information about themselves, their history, and perhaps include some photos of their factory. I would love to know more about this company.
thank you!

nagi

Old 2009-01-24, 10:42am
Just me

In one of Natasha's previous posts she stated that the names given to the glass was done by them and not the factory.
The factory uses the numbers and it looks like the chart is from them so I doubt there is one with the names.
Natasha please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll see if I can find that post. Found it. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...&postcount=277

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn h View Post
Is there a color chart with names? I just ordered some with names and some with numbers on the color chart. Hope it isn't confusing.

Just updated my email to you.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2009-01-24 at 10:45am.
Old 2009-01-24, 10:50am
It's not easy being green

Natashia can you order some of the 40, 41, and 42? They look like tans on the color chart and I would like them in a really really bad way.

If it was easy then everybody would do it!
Old 2009-01-24, 12:38pm
Trying to Hope!

free glass is always a good bet Will you please announce as soon as you get the new shipment in with the pinks and other colors

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2009-01-24, 12:39pm
Devardi Glass

You bet Wendy, Thanks.
Old 2009-01-24, 2:36pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

I got my glass today! The purple is wonderful.....rich, royal purple. Haven't put any in the flame yet but very happy with the colors. 8# of glass for $10 shipping is a VERY fair price IMHO. And yes, the glass colors need to be named in addition to numbers....and availability made clear. Isn't it great to once again have affordable glass???!! Kathleen (KAS)

My ETSY STORE:

Old 2009-01-24, 3:08pm
Virginia.

hey, they are in Kennewick, someone run over and take a look!! - V

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2009-01-24, 3:27pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Smile

I personally would just love to see your beads to see your beads. I love seeing other people's beads. For that matter I would be happy to see your fused pieces too. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
MaryBeth, I unloaded the kiln after annealing last night. I have never uploaded pics. and really, I don't see any reason to. You guys just let the "oldtime" members try and post. Being the "newbie" I am, what do I know.
After all, I have mixed, melted, poured, and rolled stained glass. This was the same soda/lime glass rods are pulled from. I can look at a glass rod and tell you every element, including what colorants are used. I also know most rods which rods have gold and silver in them.
Have fun testing and posting negative replies.
Jim

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2009-01-24, 3:48pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Cool

I had some Richenbach Lead crystal and white go silver on my HH a couple of years ago. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
Zimmerman White's do. Bullseye Whites will go gray. My studio is torn up right now (DH decided to paint it yesterday) else I would go get my test books out and tell you for certain which brands will and won't - but the 2 I mentioned I'm certain of.

I am very tempted to test this glass out, and probably will at some point, but right now I've got so many to test I don't want to really add more to the list till I get more done.

Have a Terrific Tuesday all!

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2009-01-24, 4:08pm
Just me

What about youtube.com?
I've got videos I've uploaded there of my kids and then have pasted a link in my post here so people could watch.
I don't know what youtube's mb limit is I just know the video has to be under 10 minutes long.

Oh and having a contest to name the glass with a prize is a great idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyangel View Post
Instructions on how to bring out the metallic finish in the Metallic black Devardi glass rods.
I made a video of the process, but when I got done, the video was over 200mb. I have to try to figure out how to make it smaller so it can be viewed. I have the camera on the lowest quality setting.
Anyway, once you make a bead with the Devardi Metallic black, allow the bead to cool until it turns fully black. This is very important and maybe where some are failing. Turn your flame way down with high oxygen. My flame is only about 1/2 long and the oxygen is turned up to the point that if you add more oxygen, the flame would go out. The silvery color comes to the surface immediately under these conditions when you apply the flame to the bead. Brush the entire bead with this flame.
Have fun! I'll try to get that video working. Natasha

Old 2009-01-24, 4:09pm
Just me

I've been there. Lol.
I live in Richland. Anything you want to know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
hey, they are in Kennewick, someone run over and take a look!! - V

Old 2009-01-24, 6:11pm

Default Watching out for new Devardi colors

Yes Barb, We all want you to camp out there and notify us when they bring the shipment of new colors in!
Jim
Old 2009-01-24, 8:01pm
Trying to Hope!

I got my glass today very well packaged and wonderfull assortment rods like like decent handpulled rods to me I will try ato play with them tomorrow

Natasha you should consider selling this on etsy or artfire should be cheaper then ebay L( Or even in the classified section here thats only 10.00 a month

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

Old 2009-01-24, 9:51pm
Trying to Hope!

black mettalic kicks butt Its a tad shocky in the larger rods especially the ones you can see the wider parts where you know is air however its like a black cheap version of dark silver plum

Tends to swallow silver glass but reacts nicely You can Burn the shine off and I was not successfull in getting it back I tend to torch hotlittle bubbling but so does dark silver plum deffinite diffrent consistancy then effetre and vetro

got lazy and didnt test the rest I did really abuse a bead that was mettalic and black and opal yellow amongst others finlly just smooshed it all up and pulled stringer from the rod it stayed straight and is still intact on my bench not very brittle like a regular stringer

Hopefully as you order more glass from them they will pull smaller rods

Overall vry happy with the price and the glass qaulity for the price

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

Old 2009-01-24, 10:10pm
Devardi Glass

Thanks again, Wendy. Natasha
Old 2009-01-24, 10:13pm
moth to the flame

I made it out to pay a bit more today.

I used Trans Burgundy and the Salmon.

I used mystic beige for a base and applied light stringer of the Tr Burgandy and raked it, and then made some raised flowers too. Its a really dark color and very pretty.

I did notice the stringer is stiffer than Moretti or Vetrofond glass. I can usually just break my stringers in half with my fingers but after trying to do that one handed half, I had to use nippers. It surprsed me and made me lol literally.

I combined the TR Burgandy and Salmon with Lauscha, CIM, Reichenbach 104 and Effetre.
No pics yet but I'll post them as soon as I anneal the beads.
I batch anneal so this will be a test with that too.

So far I really like it...

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-01-24, 10:22pm
Devardi Glass

Great, BeadMaven! Thanks very much. Hope you have great fun! Natasha
Old 2009-01-24, 10:24pm
Trying to Hope!

yeah i really like the glass so far as well will definitly be placeing a larger order for more and the luster glass is adventurine nice and sparkly the rods a little more of a wtered down version nice for some glitz

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

Old 2009-01-24, 10:52pm
Just me

Thanks for the video guys, good job!

Old 2009-01-24, 10:53pm
moth to the flame

I'm already making a list for more colors Natasha!

And thanks Kimberly I had Buckhorn and tried that with silver
Your seahorse tut in The Flow was awesome too!

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-01-25, 7:07am
Logan's mommy

Yay!! Looks like there is success! New Glass!! Woohoo!!!

Old 2009-01-26, 11:05am

Default Impending surgery for LE member

Kym, from Australia, is going into the hospital for surgery Wed.. I know all of LE wishes her the best and a speedy recovery.
Kim, hurry back so we can enjoy your posts.
Best Regards, Jim Clark
Old 2009-01-26, 12:26pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

Rcvd my glass today. It looks like really beautiful glass and I love the look of the semi opaques. Can't wait to get on the torch and try them out.
Old 2009-01-26, 2:25pm
Entropy increasing....

So far I have seen a few spacers made out of this glass and I see it's going for upwards of $20 a lb on Ebay, very few people have actually used it, some of the colors seem nice.

Why is it going for that much when almost no one has used it?

I'm not against buying glass from India. India is a democracy.

Does anyone have anything to show with it using it with other glass? Is it better than the Italian glass? If not why is it suddenly going for more when no one has used it?

It's all very odd to me. I want to see it and get more reviews before I buy it.
Old 2009-01-26, 3:23pm
Logan's mommy

Yay. Got my glass today. I had a couple whose tips broke off in the box but no biggee. I'm dying to try these. Then again. I'm dying to try anything at this point. C'mon big tax refund so mama can buy a kiln!

Old 2009-01-26, 4:20pm
Master Procrastinator

Got my glass, super fast shipping too! Thanks Natasha! AFA color options, I'd love to try more of the semi opaque colors, salmon, sapphron & I can't remember what else. Of course some were colors I just forgot to order or had no more funds for.

And I love the idea of having a naming contest.

Tags
devardi, missing posts?