The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-10, 10:03am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMaven View Post
Those specific posts were directed towards you since you were the one who came in and gave the info you did. I pushed the issue. The rest of my posts were not and yet you seem to think I am blaming all this on you and I am not.
Those were the specific posts I replied to. I even quoted them before making my reply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-10, 11:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad hatter View Post
ah yes we as americans are the only ones capable of doing the right thing. This is exactly why other country's dislike us.
We, as Ameicans, are the only ones that I am aware of that are being offered the opportunity to purchase this glass.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-02-10, 11:11am
Bead maker and bead buyer

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to those who liked my post, and mentioned it either in public or private. It may have been a long one, but I had to speak my mind. I appreciate your responses. It's encouraging to know without question that i wasn't the only one to see things in that kind of light.
Old 2009-02-10, 11:13am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
ah yes we as americans are the only ones capable of doing the right thing. This is exactly why other country's dislike us.
whut???? Did you just actually say that only americans can make a difference in the world and that this is the reason other country's dislike you???

This really kinda rubs me the wrong way. It's exactly that kind of attitude of thinking you are the only nation that can make a difference that makes others go hummm.....

I kinda take offense by this comment, and maybe I read it completely wrong ( beeing a non US person ) but heck we dutch people, german people, norwegian people, french people, belgian people, spanish people, italian people, UK people , danish people ( I could go on like forever) can make a difference too. At least that is what I think if I hear what kind of money is spent on projects in other countries, and I am talking billions of dollars wich are spent in these countries to make life better.

Edit to add: If I did read this the wrong way I truly appologize for my knee-jerk reaction.

Old 2009-02-10, 11:16am
Bead maker and bead buyer

I believe that mad hatter was being sarcastic, and was actually alluding to what you said, Suzanne.
Old 2009-02-10, 11:18am
traumaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damselfly View Post
I believe that mad hatter was being sarcastic, and was actually alluding to what you said, Suzanne.

Lol I sure hope so!!! That's why I appologized in advance for my reaction, cause if this is really what some people think, they might want to think again.

Old 2009-02-10, 11:30am

No I am saying that some Americans feel that we are the only ones that can manage companies coming into the 21 st century with regulations. It makes enemies when we feel that we are the only ones that can come in and "make things right." I find this a pompous and egotistical attitude.

Old 2009-02-10, 12:31pm
I'm a lilac!

I think people who happen to be American are just talking about what they CAN do to improve a situation.

Old 2009-02-10, 12:31pm
traumaqueen

Thank you for clearing this up, and I appologize again for jumping on it like I did

Old 2009-02-10, 12:48pm
disco granola punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
Thank you for clearing this up, and I appologize again for jumping on it like I did
yeah, dunno why my post was quoted for the snide reply. I'm american, but I'm not making my country responsible for change. when I say "we", I mean we as a market, not we as a country. we're all on this planet together.

and actually, boycotting even single companies does change things, although the jury is out on whether dev overseas deserves to be boycotted. if they treat their workers better than average, pay them better than average, give them safety equipment and health benefits, then they likely treat them better than most Indian companies. we just don't know, all we have at this point is that conditions are typical for Indian glass companies, which doesn't make me want to go buy the glass.

(retired from lampworking due to ill health)
Old 2009-02-10, 2:00pm

Quote:
No I am saying that some Americans feel that we are the only ones that can manage companies coming into the 21 st century with regulations. It makes enemies when we feel that we are the only ones that can come in and "make things right." I find this a pompous and egotistical attitude.
I agree completely. As an American, I think sometimes it's in Americas best interests to mind it's own business.
Red

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon
Old 2009-02-20, 10:49am

I find it soooooo hypocriticial of those that are wondering about the working conditions of those in India producing this glass.
How many of these same hypocrits ask about the conditions of the work place where your cell phones, TV's, cars, rugs, video games, kids clothes, kids shoes,sport shoes, new couch you had to have, pesticides, cleaners, etc etc etc. are being produced while we rush to the store to buy the latest item at the lowest cost we can find? How many of these people are donating their money to these countries that they appear to be concerned over? Hypcorites - I tell you I have no patience for them.
The price of any product is often dictated by the labor costs - which is why you will NEVER see competitive prices from 'made in the USA'. I've also spent big $$$$ on the newest Italy clear glass over the years to realize the higher costs does NOT always dictate quality.

If this glass is decent and I can save money - I am all over it.

Nancy

Last edited by glasscove; 2009-02-20 at 11:44am.
Old 2009-02-20, 10:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic License View Post
I agree completely. As an American, I think sometimes it's in Americas best interests to mind it's own business.
Red

Wiser words have never been written!

Nancy
Old 2009-02-20, 11:20am
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscove View Post

I just got 5 lbs of mixed colors...some I'd already tried and some I wanted to try that didn't come in my first assortment. I'll be playing this afternoon, woohoo! So far, I've made some very nice beads with this glass and I'm pretty pleased with the overall quality. I'll be posting pix in the other Devardi thread this weekend.

Old 2009-02-20, 12:34pm
disco granola punk

Quote:
I find it soooooo hypocriticial of those that are wondering about the working conditions of those in India producing this glass.
How many of these same hypocrits ask about the conditions of the work place where your cell phones, TV's, cars, rugs, video games, kids clothes, kids shoes,sport shoes, new couch you had to have, pesticides, cleaners, etc etc etc. are being produced while we rush to the store to buy the latest item at the lowest cost we can find? How many of these people are donating their money to these countries that they appear to be concerned over? Hypcorites - I tell you I have no patience for them.
The price of any product is often dictated by the labor costs - which is why you will NEVER see competitive prices from 'made in the USA'. I've also spent big $$$$ on the newest Italy clear glass over the years to realize the higher costs does NOT always dictate quality.

obviously you don't know me if you lump me into the "hypocrite" camp just because I questioned the factory working conditions. really, you can only speak for yourself regarding your buying decisions.

(retired from lampworking due to ill health)
Old 2009-02-20, 12:50pm

Oh, that reminds me. I'm off to my other computer to post pics of my beads using the metalic black. I think I'm in love with it. I'll wait to see your too! Hurry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
I just got 5 lbs of mixed colors...some I'd already tried and some I wanted to try that didn't come in my first assortment. I'll be playing this afternoon, woohoo! So far, I've made some very nice beads with this glass and I'm pretty pleased with the overall quality. I'll be posting pix in the other Devardi thread this weekend.

Old 2009-02-20, 2:06pm

Virginia made me a few shards out of the black last weekend--I don't have the beads from those back yet--but OMG, WHAT FUN!!! I LOVE the black for shards!!! just FANTASTIC!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-02-20, 2:08pm

Ok Luna, spill the pics over at the other thread when you get them. I wanna seeeee!!!

Old 2009-02-20, 2:10pm
moth to the flame

I wanna see too!

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-02-20, 7:43pm

"pix" are in my other jacket @ work...ha! I just went to photo that bead & whoops! I'll bring it home tomorrow night (it's been getting abused by 3 other beads & my keys all week!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-02-21, 9:01am

So are we all concerned about the workers in this country ? Just because something is made in the USA does not mean that the conditions are all hunky dorry hence the peanut butter problem. A few years ago there was a fire in a chix factory and a number of people were burned to death beacuse the "bosses" locked the workers in during their shifts. The migrant workers in this country have terrible conditions as do many factory workers in larger cities because they hire undocumented workers who don't complain. If you want to fix conditions lets start in our own backyards before we export our moral indignation.

Old 2009-02-21, 9:31am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
So are we all concerned about the workers in this country ? Just because something is made in the USA does not mean that the conditions are all hunky dorry hence the peanut butter problem. A few years ago there was a fire in a chix factory and a number of people were burned to death beacuse the "bosses" locked the workers in during their shifts. The migrant workers in this country have terrible conditions as do many factory workers in larger cities because they hire undocumented workers who don't complain. If you want to fix conditions lets start in our own backyards before we export our moral indignation.
I don't think things have to be perfect in the US before we start advocating for humane conditions in other countries.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-02-23, 2:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by miahawk View Post
obviously you don't know me if you lump me into the "hypocrite" camp just because I questioned the factory working conditions. really, you can only speak for yourself regarding your buying decisions.
So long as you are checking into the 'factory' conditions of where you buy your latest 'must have' needs such as your cell phone, TV, sport shoes etc etc etc etc - then nope you're not a hypocrite!

Nancy
Old 2009-02-23, 2:53pm

Quote:
Very true. And the 'own backyard' goes far beyond workers conditions.

Nancy
Old 2009-02-23, 4:32pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Quote:
So long as you are checking into the 'factory' conditions of where you buy your latest 'must have' needs such as your cell phone, TV, sport shoes etc etc etc etc - then nope you're not a hypocrite!
You know, there is no way to get around the fact that we can't get away from buying anything that doesn't have components that may have been made in terrible factory conditions. But in instances where people CAN make that decision not to buy, I believe they have every right to do so without being called a hypocrite.

There's nothing hypocritical about it. At least they are making an effort where they can.

And I'd like to mention that the factory working conditions regarding this glass is not the only concern.

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2009-02-23, 5:13pm

Quote:
Yes, but those are not direct inputs to the product people are selling. Some customers are concerned abut these things so the information is needed so that it can be passed on.

Also it needs to be remembered that any beads that are made with this glass cannot be called "Made in America" or "Made in the USA". This isn't such a big deal with soft glass since most is made in Europe anyway so most soft glass beads cannot carry those labels anyway.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-02-23, 5:25pm
da General

Quote:
I beg to differ. What you use personally is very different from what you use for products that you are going to sell. It's not at all hypocritical to want to find out more about the products (in this case glass that will be turned into our beads) we are going to resell so we can make an informed decision about whether or not we want to purchase them.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-02-23, 8:48pm
I speak Murrini!

Interesting! But while we're using words such as "American", "our own back yards", "hypocrites" and such, allow me to share a brief personal-experience story spanning the last few days...

I had an "issue" with my American Express card...I called Customer Service/Support and where do you suppose it ended up taking me? India...

If that ain't just the cherry on the sundae, I don't know what is! I sure love the "protection" and all that comes with my American Express Gold Card membership, but sheesh, the irony of the experience was pitiful!

I think it's time we all start viewing this as Planet Earth, and encourage equality and fairness in every living element we can. I, for one, am ready to "invest" in my fellow man...and although it may be a mistake to send some of my American money overseas, in essence, by buying Devardi glass, I'll be praying this will somehow, someway, help to improve the conditions in a country my father called home!

I'm willing to take the chance...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-02-24, 12:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I beg to differ. What you use personally is very different from what you use for products that you are going to sell. It's not at all hypocritical to want to find out more about the products (in this case glass that will be turned into our beads) we are going to resell so we can make an informed decision about whether or not we want to purchase them.

When I can worry about the conditions of the factory where my glass is produced - yet tie up my latest sport shoes, zipping up my latest 'must have' coat that was made in Taiwan, while walking with my newest Chinese cell phone, to hurry home to my foreign built TV, stereo, IPod, etc and not give too hoots about those factory conditions because these are things I 'need/use personally' - that's hypocritical.

Seriously - my point is if the glass is decent quality and the price is less - who gives a crap where it comes from. Competition is good for everyone.

Nancy
Old 2009-02-24, 1:23pm
da General

We have to agree to disagree on this one, Nancy. To me, being in business of reselling something means the responsibility of at least try to find out what and where your products originate. That has nothing to do with hypocrisy.

In addition, I do NOT think that the glass is of decent quality (since most of my beads made with them and silver glass cracked) and the price isn't that much less than a lot of the regular line of machined pulled Effetre.

|
|
|
|

Tags
devardi, missing posts?