LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-08-07, 2:45pm
Glass my new Obsession

Default Horse tutorial

Anyone know where I can find a horse head tutorial?I love horses and so do most of my family and want to make some for some family members for X-mas.
Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-08-08, 4:11pm
Glass my new Obsession

60 views and no tut I tried to figure it out last night and I ended up swirling it!

Old 2007-08-08, 4:41pm
yukue fumei

I'm not the best at these but I will try something out for ya and post(it may take a bit of time)
There is also a linkie here to someone's tutorial:
http://www.nightingalegallery.com/ma...horse_bead.htm

nagi

Old 2007-08-08, 4:58pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
I'm not the best at these but I will try something out for ya and post(it may take a bit of time)
There is also a linkie here to someone's tutorial:
http://www.nightingalegallery.com/ma...horse_bead.htm
Denise! I peeked at your website the other day! You do incredible work - why don't you ever post anything - or do I just miss it all of the time

Old 2007-08-08, 5:03pm
Glass my new Obsession

Thanks

Old 2007-08-09, 3:24pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
Denise! I peeked at your website the other day! You do incredible work - why don't you ever post anything - or do I just miss it all of the time
Thanks Mary Beth! WOW! You totally made my day with your comment--YAY! Thank you so much, and I am so very pleased you like my work!
I recently started posting in the boro room, but haven't gotten around to posting in the soft glass section. I am still PPPing my soft glass beadies

I just finished a Goddess Exchange and learned that I really like making clothed figures, so maybe I will be brave soon and post in the Show and Tell

nagi

Old 2007-08-09, 3:27pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONEYBUNNY72_99 View Post
Thanks
I will try something out this weekend--maybe with some silver glass....I don't guarantee my results will be good, but I will try my darnedest for ya!!
oh, and you are very welcome

nagi

Old 2007-08-09, 3:28pm
yukue fumei

BTW-do you want one sided or two sided?
Flat or 3D?

nagi

Old 2007-08-09, 7:42pm

Nagi,
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I have always wanted to do a 3-d horse but it has never come out right. My sculpting skills leave something to be desired. LOL.
Peace,
Grady
Old 2007-08-09, 9:13pm
A Splash o' Glass

Denise's (Nagibeads) work is absolutely incredibly gorgeous! She brought her boro horse sculpture to the last So. Cal. Flame Surfers meeting. I'm still in awe each time I think of it. Not only unbelievable in beauty with the glass, she was so perfect with the anatomy of the horse. Truly a gifted artist!

Old 2007-08-09, 9:30pm
yukue fumei

Awww, thanks Barbara and Grady!

Barbara, it was so nice meeting you at the last meeting! Thank you so much for your kind and very generous words--they really mean alot to me! thank you thank you!! You made my day too!! Woohoo! I am floating on air

nagi

Old 2007-08-09, 10:28pm
Glass my new Obsession

Quote:
BTW-do you want one sided or two sided?
Flat or 3D?
Sculptural 3D type would be good

Old 2007-08-10, 6:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbbeads View Post
Denise's (Nagibeads) work is absolutely incredibly gorgeous! She brought her boro horse sculpture to the last So. Cal. Flame Surfers meeting. I'm still in awe each time I think of it. Not only unbelievable in beauty with the glass, she was so perfect with the anatomy of the horse. Truly a gifted artist!
OMG what a treat to check out your horses!!! They are incredible!!!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2007-08-11, 6:43am
yukue fumei

3-D it is! thanks Tina!

and thank you so much Debbie! Oh my, I'm floating on air!

nagi

Old 2007-08-12, 8:09pm
Glass my new Obsession

Quote:
3-D it is! thanks Tina!

and thank you so much Debbie! Oh my, I'm floating on air!
Yay I am so excited!
Tina

Old 2007-08-18, 7:48pm
FreeAssociatesVeryFreely

' heres some of mine....is the resolution really poor, or is my monitor suddenly goofy!

www.niveditasarts.biz

Last edited by nivedita; 2007-08-18 at 7:59pm.
Old 2007-08-18, 8:33pm

It must be your monitor, because they look great! Beautiful detail and colors.

Bob

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

Old 2007-08-19, 6:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivedita View Post
' heres some of mine....is the resolution really poor, or is my monitor suddenly goofy!

www.niveditasarts.biz
Wow!!! Looks pretty amazing to me!!!!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2007-08-19, 8:34am
FreeAssociatesVeryFreely

Thanks for your kind words.. i cannot figure out what is going on.. my monitor displays everything else fine, could it be just here? the button, avatars and pics are all fuzzy, but the printing is all clear and sharp... must go troubleshoot... any guidance on how?
I do have some horseheads on my Glassartists.org site, will try to do a tut on those...horses are really one of my favorites to do, too nagibeads, yours are gorgeous, too... boro really sings, doesnt it!!Moreti , tho, with its crayon colors is great fun. I am so excited to be getting back to the torches after a couple of months of Doing Other Things.

Old 2007-08-30, 8:36pm
Glass my new Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivedita View Post

www.niveditasarts.biz
Those are beautiful!
Tina

Old 2007-09-27, 10:03pm
Glass my new Obsession

Any tutorials yet?

Old 2007-09-28, 7:57am

Oh my gosh, your pegasus horses are JUST BEAUTIFUL!! I hope you make a tut, GORGEOUS
Old 2007-09-29, 7:12pm
If I could set the Sun...

beautiful
Old 2007-10-16, 12:40pm
Glass my new Obsession

I am gonna try to make a horse today without a tutorial and see what happens LOL! If it sucks I will just swirl it up into a freeform focal
Tina

Old 2007-10-16, 1:28pm
yukue fumei

omg--I am so sorry Tina--
I totally forgot about this
if you still want one, I will try and work on a quick one this weekend!
EEk! Sorry sorry!

nagi

Old 2007-10-16, 6:20pm
Glass my new Obsession

No hurry I know how hectic life can be!

Old 2007-10-22, 12:08am
yukue fumei

OK-here we go! Sorry, some of the pics are blurry. I needed both hands to sculpt so I took pics after each step and tried to draw my actions. Hopefully it is easy to figure out Oh, and I am only explaining on one side but you can do both sides
This is my first soft glass horse bead in a long time. I tried to make horse heads when I was first starting out and found it very difficult to balance things when I made the entire head and neck as one piece. That's why I decided to make the head first and then attach it to the neck. There are many things I would do different after making this horse, so please bear with me, I'll try and explain why. Thanks and I hope this helps you!

Flame-soft and wide. (FYI, I am on a GTT Cheetah--it has a nice wide flame. I am using a concentrator)
Do alot of insurance heat, especially when you put the head and neck together! If you are making a wearable bead, you don't have to do both sides. If you want to do colors like blazes or eyes, you need to incorporate those in as you go....

Head:
you will need a graphite paddle and marver
a poker
non serrated blunt end tweezers
thin pointed end tweezers
shears
punty

First, heat up a good sized gather. Here I have Moretti clear, about 16mm since I am making a fairly large head. You can use a smaller amount if you want a smaller bead. Use Clear as a base to save some money and stabilize the glass in case you choose a color that tends to be soft.
(

Add the color you like on top. Here, I am using Double Helix T-78

Marver it smooth

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2007-10-22 at 6:26am.
Old 2007-10-22, 12:15am
yukue fumei

Now, attach a punty on the other side and melt off the colored gather from the moretti clear rod. I had some extra glass in the gather adn as I burned off the Moretti end, I pulled some stringer from it to use later....

I used a vetro clear rod as a punty since it was handy, but you can use whatever works for you

Marver into a cylinder shape

take your graphite paddle and Gently mash the gather at an angle to create a cheese wedge shape

Turn the wedge so it is narrow side up(like an upright cake slice). Take your blunt end tweezers and pinch a nose bridge on the to of the wedge...

from the top looking down, it should look like this

nagi

Old 2007-10-22, 12:24am
yukue fumei

With the wedge facing up like an upright cake slice again, put dots for eyes. I eyeballed the placement for this horse, but if you want it to be more perfect, use peter tweezers to mark each side before placing dots.

add a down facing "D" shape for the Cheek muscle and bone

now, flip the wedge so the top faces you and tweeze right behind the eye dots.

Flip the wedge back upright.

Now, using a small pointed end tweezer, sculpt the eye dot in a triangular fashion. My process is first push in the top lid, then the front half of the top lid, and then the curvy bottom part of the eyeball.

nagi

Old 2007-10-22, 12:28am
yukue fumei

Now with the blunt end tweezer, flatten the nose tip just a bit, to get it ready for the nostrils and chin.

then add nose dots(oops, don't make that tiny dot--it is a mistake....unless you want to give your horse a wart LOL!

add a chin dot underneath

Now have fun and poke your horsie's nose LOL! First poke and then rock the poker around to flare the nostrils

nagi