Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-01-13, 11:14am

Question Any Idea On How This Was Made?

Any Idea On How This Was Made? Im tring to recreate the Arkenstone from the movie The Hobbit. i feel like its jus dichroic glass in there but not shure how they got it all jagged and sharp like that. also does anyone have any tips on faceting? can it be done with a torch and sculpting? or do u need a special device. any thoughts shared would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 2015-01-13, 12:55pm

I think this is way beyond my abilities however I would try DH shards as oppose to dichoric. Faceting would not be something you can do on a torch or with sculpting. For that you would need a flat lap machine
Liz R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2015-01-13, 1:31pm

what are DH shards? never herd that term before. and okay thanks!
Old 2015-01-13, 1:55pm
Shelarious

Their site says that those are not made from glass. I did not think that the interior looked like glass. I think dichroic glass would not give you that effect. It's more like a prism.

Here's the site I referenced: http://www.dreamspheres.co.uk/index.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bshelle; 2015-01-14 at 8:10am. Reason: added link
Old 2015-01-13, 1:58pm
Loving learning

It looks like a clear plastic ball to me with pieces of plastic with a coating on them possibly glues into place? Or maybe glued into place then the pieces put into a mold that is filled with clear resin?
Old 2015-01-13, 2:03pm
Phill

To do that in glass would require lots of shards melted in to chunks that were then lapped to get the edges and the corners sharp then melted and lapped yet again with even more shards and lapping.

Maybe lots of latticino (sp) ( wrong word even ) chunks broken up and re-melted and broken again adinfinitum?

ETA: It would really be a challenge to even try it and I would need to have a flat lapping capability as well.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-01-13 at 2:06pm.
Old 2015-01-13, 2:35pm
lurking on LE since 2005

what about glass opals? it's boro, but wow
http://www.profoundglass.com/store/p...&idcategory=23

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2015-01-13, 2:45pm

yea i was also thinking opals as well, i wasent shure if it was glass or not, just wanted to make somthing similar to this, my brother is a huge lord of the rings fan. thanks for the tips guys
Old 2015-01-13, 3:05pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I agree with Eileen... looks like lucite pieces coated with a refractive film, glued together and a ball built around it. Maybe fancy 3-D printing?

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2015-01-13, 3:07pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Or maybe John Foster made it? Check out his website:

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/...cocktail-table

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2015-01-13, 3:15pm

I thought it looks like mylar film coated with coating to give prism effect -long strip folded up ( remember gum wrapper bracelets?) and embedded in a resin ball. It's very cool and would be awesome in glass but sheesh.....I don't think I could do it - at least not on the first try hahahahaha - good thing I couldn't - OMG - I would have them plastered all over the place and be trying to figure out how to wear them LMAO

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-01-13 at 3:17pm.
Old 2015-01-13, 4:07pm

Also check out work by Jack Storms. He has some YouTube videos showing his process
Old 2015-01-15, 10:31pm
Glass-aholic

BORO dichro does look like that if you got an inch of scrap dichro. Worked really cool and fast-ish you could get that effect. Yes. Basically the dichro would have to never hit the flame directly.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2015-01-16, 4:14am
Now part of the Dark Side

Boro in a furnace could get that effect too. In fact a furnace marble was my first thought.
Old 2015-01-16, 3:55pm
Naysayer

I found the same site bshelle posted, "The materials used and the various processes involved in creating Dreamspheres are a closely guarded secret.
The spheres are not made from glass as might be expected, but are many times stronger than glass.
They are made from a combination of materials that are unique to the Dreamsphere."

I say lucite, they're only like 50.00, I looked it up and he had a sale for 30.00, not sure he would do that with glass, it just looks like plastic too. I think glass would be even more dynamic.

I've seen cellophane fantasy film in these exact colors. Grab some sample sheets and throw them into a plastic globe If you want it to look closer to that I would adhere the film to plastic sheet, slice them up and add it that way.
Old 2015-01-18, 4:05am

I need to hire his marketing writer, if I had copy like that my glass would fly out the door.
Old 2015-01-18, 9:18am
Glass-aholic

Now that you mention this, I do remember reading this. I had forgot all sbout this! Great digging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
I found the same site bshelle posted, "The materials used and the various processes involved in creating Dreamspheres are a closely guarded secret.
The spheres are not made from glass as might be expected, but are many times stronger than glass.
They are made from a combination of materials that are unique to the Dreamsphere."

I say lucite, they're only like 50.00, I looked it up and he had a sale for 30.00, not sure he would do that with glass, it just looks like plastic too. I think glass would be even more dynamic.

I've seen cellophane fantasy film in these exact colors. Grab some sample sheets and throw them into a plastic globe If you want it to look closer to that I would adhere the film to plastic sheet, slice them up and add it that way.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2015-01-18, 10:09am
Wonder-wench

I would try opal frit in a boro marble to approximate the ArkenStone look

Old 2015-01-18, 12:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
I need to hire his marketing writer, if I had copy like that my glass would fly out the door.
I dunno, the drama almost made my lunch fly out of my stomach--a bit much for me.

Old 2015-01-18, 1:07pm

To bad there is no tongue in cheek smiley, the psuedo science B.S. had me choking from the start. Not to belittle the art form, it is a beatiful creation and concept. That's why i'm into glass, I love what it does to light.
Old 2015-01-31, 2:33pm

Did you manage to make an arkenstone then? It's such an awesome idea! Excited to see lol!

HH on bulk propane.
Old 2015-01-31, 7:45pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
I know right?

Seriously, look up fantasy film, or angelina film (that usually brings up jolie movies lol) but that stuff looks just like the OP's link, very flashy.
http://www.artglitter.com/retail/fantasyfilm.htm

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2015-01-31 at 7:47pm.
Old 2015-01-31, 10:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
I know right?

Seriously, look up fantasy film, or angelina film (that usually brings up jolie movies lol) but that stuff looks just like the OP's link, very flashy.
http://www.artglitter.com/retail/fantasyfilm.htm
google:
Code:
angelina film -jolie

Tags
arkenstone, dichro, dichroic, faceting, hobbit, how was this made