Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-07-21, 5:14am
Angie09

I ordered some and it melts like butter ... best melting white I've tried HOWEVER ... all of my beads that I had used Asian White as a base CRACKED regardless of the color of glass I used on top or whether I encased or not. The other beads I made the same day with the same colors but with GA Sno did not crack. I even tried a second time with totally different colors ... same result. I was soooo bummed I contacted Ross at ABR and it seems as though I am the only one that has had this problem. Any body else have cracking issues??

Luckily I only bought a pound!!!
Old 2010-07-21, 5:50am

Maybe it is the batch. I bought a LB as well. I agree that it melts very well, doesn't boil and is easy to work wtih. I've not had the cracking problems that you've experienced.
Old 2010-07-21, 12:18pm
Mandrel Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
I ordered some and it melts like butter ... best melting white I've tried HOWEVER ... all of my beads that I had used Asian White as a base CRACKED regardless of the color of glass I used on top or whether I encased or not. The other beads I made the same day with the same colors but with GA Sno did not crack. I even tried a second time with totally different colors ... same result. I was soooo bummed I contacted Ross at ABR and it seems as though I am the only one that has had this problem. Any body else have cracking issues??

Luckily I only bought a pound!!!
I had the ame problem but from a different vendor. I think its just bad batches. Good thing it's cheap.

Bonny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2010-07-21, 1:08pm
product of the universe

I hear there are two grades of the stuff. One might be led wonder why it is so cheap at certain places.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-07-21, 4:12pm

I got 18lbs from abr and haven't had any problems with it thus far ... But then I don't work on a mandrel.

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2010-07-21, 4:44pm

Angie, some whites don't like to be next to the mandrel. Make your first wrap a very small wrap of clear. That should help.
Old 2010-07-22, 7:34am

whites typically don't like to be a core, especially on a mandrel.

speaking of white, we are offering Boro Bar White for $15 per lb. today and tomorrow! call me today!

Old 2010-08-11, 1:51pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I made a handful of beads using a clear core, wrap of white, wrap of color, frit, encase.

So far, all but 3 have cracked.

Old 2010-08-12, 6:29pm
Harold Williams Cooney

I have made . . . some things (100 or so) with the white.

no cracks so far.

knock on wood; hope the customers are not the ones to find them.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-08-12, 6:52pm

I mix it with clear for my flowers... crossing fingers... but no problems so far

Old 2010-08-13, 9:13am
Lampworker

i did a lead check test from lowes on the china white in powder form and it was negative.

so that sounds like a good indication that it does not have lead in it.

there is also a fuming test with a reducing flame, but have not tried it yet.
Old 2010-08-13, 6:30pm
Glassy Broad :-)

I've been using the hell out of it and have had Zero problems! In my pendants, ON my pendants, full strength on mandrel etc. etc. and as I said, zero problems. I love this white!
Hugs and good luck,
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-08-14, 7:17am
Lampworker

the only problem i am having is healing up the punty marks

i know you have to keep this color hot when working it, but when you let this color cool and have to go back and reheat it to remove the punty....it likes to form a nasty crusty texture. i have tried every soft flame i can.???
Old 2010-08-14, 7:41am
Lampworker

the only problem i am having is healing up the punty marks

i know you have to keep this color hot when working it, but when you let this color cool and have to go back and reheat it to remove the punty....it likes to form a nasty crusty texture. i have tried every soft flame i can.???
Old 2010-08-14, 8:17am
Harold Williams Cooney

^^^ use the same white for punty.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-08-16, 9:20am

interesting on all the different takes. for the most part, we've had an overwhelming positive response to it. hopefully everyone can get this one figured out, because when it comes out right, it looks really great.

Old 2010-08-19, 6:33am

I used 2 rods of this white. I really like it. I put the finished pieces aside and 6 weeks out I do not see any cracks. Looks good to me and I purchased from ABR back when it was on sale.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-08-26, 7:27am
Lampworker

update: got word from an importer who knows the manufacturer in china, and he said no lead.
Old 2010-08-26, 12:21pm

Thank you!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-08-30, 12:22pm
Somebody's watching me!

newbie question here. what would the problem be with lead? just all around poisonous problems or something with compatibility or what?

ive been using this white for a while and i love love love it! my first order was with chris hayes and i think he got it from abr. the next was with winship because i was on vacation and passing though. great success, no cracking, boiling, ect. with either. i have about 3 lbs left so when it's gone ill be ordering about 5-10 lbs so it will last me a while.

Old 2010-08-30, 1:40pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I used it for cores on beads and they all cracked. So I used it for the 'white of the eye' on Wickedglass's "Dragon's Eye" tutorial from the new Flow magazine. So far I've made 11 eyes and none cracked. And the white is smooth and creamy and does not boil.

Old 2010-08-30, 2:35pm
product of the universe

Quote:
my first order was with chris hayes and i think he got it from abr.
I got mine from a direct importer not abr. I ordered 880 lbs of it in hopes that i will never need to order white again. I didn't buy it to sell but have sold some. The rods i have are the 6-7mm which seems to be the higher quality. As with the tubing the bigger the diameter the glass quality changes as the size goes up. Out of over 100 lbs that i've used, i've only found one rod that had a huge knot in it. China white is a really great quality white and i hope they continue to make it in the future.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-08-30, 3:46pm
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayes View Post
I got mine from a direct importer not abr. I ordered 880 lbs of it in hopes that i will never need to order white again. I didn't buy it to sell but have sold some. The rods i have are the 6-7mm which seems to be the higher quality. As with the tubing the bigger the diameter the glass quality changes as the size goes up. Out of over 100 lbs that i've used, i've only found one rod that had a huge knot in it. China white is a really great quality white and i hope they continue to make it in the future.
oh sorry chris. i didn't realize. but yes, the white you sold me has been wonderful!

Old 2010-08-31, 7:53am
Lampworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerman44 View Post
newbie question here. what would the problem be with lead? just all around poisonous problems or something with compatibility or what?

yea its not great to use leaded glass for the glassblower
+
there is a california lead law that prohibits lead content in most jewelry.
http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/leadinjewelry.cfm

its pretty rare that boro has lead, but coming from china, who knows what they put in it.