Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-27, 8:13am
Just Plain

Oh Jamie, I was typing as you were posting. My Effetre clear/purple sparkles didn't even make it to the cleaning stage before they cracked. They were still on the mandrels. The blue sparkley/Effetre clear ones were all fine. You were using the new Zephyr on the one that survived?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-27, 8:17am
Tweedle Dumb

I don't know how new the batch is, but it's new to me. This batch of seconds came with my speckle colors last week. I don't think it had a date on them.

I think the only reason it is still alive is because I used a thin core of Zephyr under it. I don't know why I did it, because even if it survives, I'll never trust it enough to be sold.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-08-27, 8:19am
sunscreen me baby

Ok, I'll test with my Zephyr. Not sure on the date but I'll let you know.

~

Old 2012-08-27, 8:22am
Just Plain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
even if it survives, I'll never trust it enough to be sold.
Same here. I guess I just wasted 40 bucks plus some shipping. And it was so beautiful

Old 2012-08-27, 8:25am
Just Plain

Cool, Suzy! Can't wait for your results. Maybe there's hope...

Old 2012-08-27, 8:30am
Tweedle Dumb

I can try Aether and Reich clear today to see if it will fit with one of them. I think that is the extent of my clear collection.

Old 2012-08-27, 8:41am
Just Plain

By the time you're done testing, you'll have run out of glass! Thanks for trying. If there's one that does work, I'll buy it just to be able to use the purple sparkley.

Old 2012-08-27, 8:45am
Tweedle Dumb

Probably.

Old 2012-08-27, 10:14am
A True Woofer

I would email Jed and let him know this is happening to you, too. He knows which zephyr is going to work the best with the purple speckled.

Old 2012-08-27, 11:58am
Color Outside The Lines!

Default OP-507

Every pot of glass we make, including test batches and clears, are tested for compatibility against Effetre clear. Our tolerances are +/- 350 PSI, well below the safe limit of +/- 500 PSI. This means that any two of our glasses, even at opposite ends of our limits, could have a total strain of 700 PSI which is below the breaking point of 1,000 PSI.

The OP-507 (dark purple speckled luster test batch) tested at -215 PSI, which is within our standards. When Ellen let us know that her beads had cracked using Zephyr we re-tested the OP-507 against a worst case scenario batch of Zephyr. This means we selected a batch of Zephyr with the highest positive PSI in order to test against a test batch with a negative PSI. The OP-507 and Zephyr (5.26.12) strain was -441 PSI, well within our combined tolerances of 700 PSI and below the breaking point of 1,000 PSI.

For whatever reason, despite all of our testing, the OP-507 at -215 PSI is causing problems anyway. There are multiple solutions we can offer for this problem.

1. Contact us for a refund or replacement for the OP-507.
2. We can help you determine the best fitting Zephyr or Aether for OP-507 that is likely already in your studio. If you bought Zephyr or Aether from us, contact us to review the PSI of each of the batch dates you have and we can recommend the best fit. We keep records of what batch date we ship to you so, as long as you haven’t mixed multiple orders together, we know what batch date(s) you have.
3. If you don’t already have the best fitting Zephyr or Aether, put in an order requesting a batch date that is the best fit for OP-507.

Thanks
Jed and Julie at Double Helix Glassworks
Old 2012-08-27, 12:20pm
da General

Jayne and Jaime, Do you have Aether?

This is OP507 Purple Sparkly encased in Aether with no problem and Aether doesn't turn it green:

Name:  _MG_4102web.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  15.9 KB

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-08-27, 3:47pm
Lampworkaholic!

Am I the only one who has had a cracking issue with TL 478?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-08-27, 6:03pm
Just Plain

I don't have any Aether, Hayley; but I'm going to put in an order for some Zephyr on Friday (payday)!

Old 2012-08-27, 6:27pm
sunscreen me baby

Well using Aether sounds like a better plan. I'm lazy

~

Old 2012-08-27, 6:42pm
Naysayer

I love that they keep records.

I really really want some of this glass, I hope it's sorted. I also want the blue, is that sold out or did it never make it to the site yet?
Old 2012-08-28, 5:41am

I have encased a bunch of OP-507 beads 2 weeks ago with Zephyr. Some were my test bead pictures earlier in the thread. They are all still fine. I used Zephyr and effetre clear. No cracks..... Still watching them but they look fine..... Not sure of the batches I have. I have put them aside so I can check them again in a month. I don't want them going out the door if they are fragile due to compatibility problems... but they sure look fine...
Can you post pictures of the broken beads?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2012-08-28, 6:45am
A True Woofer

Here's a quick and dirty picture of my cracked beads. The first ones I made were large-hole beads and fell apart. These are the ones I made with another batch of zephyr that I had that I thought would work. It didn't. I believe the ones that aren't cracked are made with the batch of zephyr that Jed sent me.

Old 2012-08-28, 7:04am
Lampworkaholic!

My OP 507 bead encased with TAG Clarity still is looking good.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-08-28, 8:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
My OP 507 bead encased with TAG Clarity still is looking good.

I've been using all three sparklies (alone, together, mixed with random other colors) with Clarity too, with no problems at all...

--d
Old 2012-08-28, 11:10am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Am I the only one who has had a cracking issue with TL 478?

All of my TL 478 beads (encased with Aether and/or Zephyr) look fine. I believe they all had a core of effetre clear, if that matters at all.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-08-28, 8:22pm
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks Lori. Guess I'll have to take the plunge and make a second bead and see what happens.

Old 2012-08-29, 7:42am
Tweedle Dumb

My purple speckle with Aether encasement beads are cracking, too. So bummed. This is beautiful glass.

Old 2012-08-29, 8:43am
A True Woofer

Shoot! I'm sorry that the aether beads are cracking too.

I tried one OP-507 bead with clarity today. We'll see what happens.

Old 2012-08-29, 12:12pm
Just Plain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
My purple speckle with Aether encasement beads are cracking, too. So bummed. This is beautiful glass.
Rats. I'm hoping the Zephyr will work. The purple speckled is so pretty I don't want to give up yet!

Old 2012-08-30, 12:11am

IL 436 stringer over dark ivory not encased
I love this glass the oil slick colors are fantastic!

#C-151
Old 2012-08-30, 8:43am
A True Woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
I tried one OP-507 bead with clarity today. We'll see what happens.
The TAG Clarity and OP-507 bead came out of the kiln with no cracks. I'll monitor it for a few weeks.

Old 2012-08-30, 1:11pm
...displaced ocean lover

What is that super silvery one???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
I made a dozen beads the other night using the 2 dark speckled colors.
3 of them cracked - they were the purple speckled.
The only other glass I used was plain old Effetre clear

Here are some of the beads that survived.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-08-30, 2:18pm
Just Plain

The super silvery one is the speckled blue, reduced.

Old 2012-08-30, 2:29pm
...displaced ocean lover

Oh my...oh.my.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-08-30, 3:26pm

I did a couple OP-507 purple speckle today, no other glass, reduced. My test one was awesome, there are a couple others in the kiln now.
They OP-511 look great Jayne.

Last edited by Three Muses Glass; 2012-08-30 at 3:27pm. Reason: Awesome overuse