Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-06-18, 11:57pm

Default Chinese white from ABR?

is this white the chinese white that doesnt boil and is a great white? or should i get a diff white?
Old 2010-06-19, 4:56am

I would assume if it says Chinese white ~ that's what it is. I love it, very dense white.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-19, 5:40am
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

are you talking about this? http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...&products_id=4 if so , i love this white smooth and creamy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-06-19, 5:43am

boro bars/stix are not the same as Chinese white. A good white but not the same

Old 2010-06-20, 6:46am
Harold Williams Cooney

I just picked up a case of 25-ish tubing at B&B, have not yet fired up the studio after the show, but will let you know.

Will be my first experience with it.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-06-20, 8:22pm

we sell a lot of the white chinese rod 6 /7mm lots of return customers..Its smooth as butter and I haven't seen any boiling.. the 25mm tubing some love it some hate it.
The shopkeeper at Trev's
Old 2010-06-20, 9:00pm
product of the universe

I would go with the white from sunray, the 6-7mm is the best in my opinion, same goes for china black.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-06-20, 9:38pm
Harold Williams Cooney

Who or what is sunray?

Old 2010-06-20, 10:15pm

see above. Trevs.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-06-21, 4:54am
Pyromaniac

Sunray needs a link to Trev's glass in their signature

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-06-21, 6:24am

I just used the Chinese white yesterday. It is fantastic. Not a bubble to be found.
Cheap too.
Old 2010-06-21, 6:56am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Chinese black? Is that the same as Asian black that ABR sells? The other day I made 3 barrel beads using a base of Asian black. All 3 cracked. The other beads that I used a different base for came out fine. This really surprised me because I've used Asian black before without a problem.

Just like here in the US we have many different brands of boro, are there many different brands of 'oriental' boro? Is chinese black the same as ABR's Asian black? Incidently I love using ABR's Asian amber and haven't had any problems with it.

Old 2010-06-24, 1:08pm

the batch of white we have here at ABR is great. we have the 6-7mm as well. we have seen some beautiful stuff made with it. it's the same, if not better, than all the white i've seen so far.

i saw some pieces the other day that were so bright white, felt i should put shades on

call us!!

Old 2010-06-24, 1:09pm

the facts as far as i know it, is that there are different grades/qualities of chinese glass.

we have our own exclusive batches, highest quality we can get. thus, why we get good reviews on our asian glass more than most.

i don't run the factories over there though, so who really knows. i know the stuff i see here all the time is pretty top notch compared to some of the wompy stuff i see sometimes

Old 2010-06-24, 1:11pm

I have used the new Paramore glass white. It is really nice and creamy and best of all it does not boil.
Old 2010-06-24, 1:15pm

Anyone who wants to try our white, I am going to give you LE members a shot at it for $5 a lb.

mention this thread! i will be posting on the sale rack in a few

Old 2010-06-24, 4:57pm

I know it's very hard to make a nice creamy white without lead in it, do you know if the chinese stuff contains lead?

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2010-06-25, 12:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post
I know it's very hard to make a nice creamy white without lead in it, do you know if the chinese stuff contains lead?
Im going to take a shot in the dark and say 99% sure yes because most colours from china probably contain lead... hell shot glasses from china contain lead.
Old 2010-06-25, 8:09pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Well, Dave. Since you have a frit sale on now, it would be a good time to try a pound of the white, especially for $5. And, I wonder if you ever got the brass reamer in that I ordered last month?

gmkcpa - Gerald Kappel

Old 2010-06-27, 6:41pm

Default $5/lb Chinese white

Hey Dave - gotta let the staff know when you make these special offers. Tried to order 2 lbs Saturday, but your phone staffer didn't know anything about it being less than the regular $15/lb. Hope to hear from you tomorrow....
Old 2010-07-06, 8:57am

Our office is open 8-5 Mon-Fri

weekends we have an answering service. if you must use them on the weekends, just tell them to note on the order that you are requesting a special sale. we can make the adjustment monday morning.

Gerald ---- we have not got them yet, but they are on the way. sorry for the delay.

just getting back to you guys now, due to being on vacation last week! thanks!

Old 2010-07-07, 6:49am

Does anyone have an answer to the lead question?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-07-07, 7:55am
Harold Williams Cooney

I can say that the 25HW I got from them at Bead and Button is good to go. This is my first run at China White and I have to say, I'm impressed.

Buy some.

Old 2010-07-07, 7:41pm

I already bought a few pounds from ABR and it is nice.
But could it have lead?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-07-11, 2:28pm
Angie09

Wonder why there's no one that can tell us if the china white has lead? I'd be very interested in knowing as well.
Old 2010-07-11, 3:01pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I do not want to be political here, but I would assume that it has lead because I read the newspaper daily and it seems like pretty much everything from China has some type of pollutant in it. Shreck glasses-cadmium. Kids jewelry-cadmium. Many rubber type products from China have a disgusting chemical odor that does not go away, like these car mats that my neighbor (who sells after-market auto stuff) gave me. Odor was so bad I had to throw them out. Really colorful bead necklaces that Chili's was giving out last year-smell was so obnoxious I hung them on some of bushes outside-weeks later they still smelled. If you are a conspiracy theorist, could China be getting rid of its industrial pollutants by incorporating them in products destined for America?

But, I want a really good white, so I ordered a pound of Chinese White from ABR. And I love the Asian Amber and Asian Green from ABR. I've been using them as a base color for beads and am real happy with them. (The asian/chinese glass from ABR smells fine - actually it has NO odor.)

Last edited by gmkcpa; 2010-07-11 at 3:02pm. Reason: added last five words
Old 2010-07-13, 4:11am

no glass should have an odor, Gerald.

I'm almost sorry to have brought up the lead question, I was just curious. To all you who have health concerns about flameworking lead glass, yes it can be a problem in certain circumstances (working in a small room with no extraction and prolonged exposure would eventually be hazardous). But I would venture to say that glass like the exotics or any of the other fumy glasses everyone is using also raise health questions (yes, amber purple fumes off, too). The only way to be 100% safe from those concerns is to not blow glass. Bah, who ever heard of that!!!?? The next best thing is to have a fume/extractor hood installed, which most of us have. My main concern wasn't this.
My next question after "does it contain lead" would have been "what percentage lead does it contain?". The food safe quantity of lead in glass is deemed to be 33% and below if using, for example, a wine glass. Storing food or beverages in lead glass (lead crystal) for long periods of time is not recommended, as the lead will leach (so if you have a cut crystal decanter which has been filled with your grandfather's port wine for the last 50 years, the likelihood of it being contaminated with unsafe levels of lead is very very high). The only difference between borosilicate which contains lead and lead crystal is that the lead boro contains a different flux ie borax or boric acid as opposed to sodium carbonate. Obviously the lower the % of lead, the less of a problem this poses.
That's why I wanted to know.

I just got my shipment of china white from ABR (thanks Dave and Tim for sending it out so promptly ) and if I am making goblet tops I will be sure to have a casing of clear at least on the inside of the cup. Casing the colour in clear will alleviate any problems with leaching lead which may or may not exist in this glass.

The white works very nicely, btw, and it's the least boily white I've ever had the pleasure to work with (although I did eventually get it to boil).

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2010-07-13, 8:59am

glad you got your order so promptly, and were satisfied with the color.

as far as the lead, i've seen no bleeding of lead in the glass worked with this white. it does not seem to fume off at all.

unfortunately, the chinese aren't necessarily held to supplying that info to us. from my experience, and seeing the way this stuff burns, i presume it to be totally safe.

Old 2010-07-16, 9:47am
Fire and Fluidity

I'm a little puzzled by this "lead in boro" idea. Mostly because in a previous career I was a stoneware potter and designed all my own glazes, which required intimate knowledge of glaze chemistry. In glazes, lead was used as a flux in "ceramics" and other low fire clay work because it made a very fluid, glossy glaze. In stoneware pottery, lead could not be used as a flux because stoneware glazing temperatures burned it out of the glaze. I always assumed that boro is made and worked at temperatures where lead is not necessary and does not work as a flux. Am i wrong about this? Is there any use of lead in colored boro at all? Doesn't seem likely.
-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2010-07-21, 12:08am

Is the $5 a lb still valid? I would like to make an order tomorrow if it is.