Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Old 2005-08-17, 11:37am

Kimberly, I have to try this colors. Thank´s for sharing!
Old 2005-08-17, 11:51am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

So many options - sometimes I just become decision paralyzed!! Guess that's similar to another state I visit frequently - analysis paralysis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-18, 6:52am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Oh, POOP!!! I tried it.....and didn't get the effect - back to the drawing board - obviously user error = I HATE that!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-25, 8:55pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Oh wow! I just did this and I feel like I've discovered the coolest thing ever! So pretty! I didn't get a lot of the turquoise color, but it's still very pretty. This was my first time using foil though, and I'm wondering how people handle it?

Teague
Old 2005-09-01, 8:12am
Born on date: 11/3/09!

Default Blue Bead

I just have to say--I tried the "blue bead" last night. I did not get a full blue bead like the picture, but WOW-- what I did get was a really pretty mixture of aqua blues-- almost opal looking. I am so very excited to try this again!

Why does it do this? What does the stringing on of clear do to make such interesting color changes?

I read that striking yellow and striking red does something similar with silver. Are there any other colors? I hate to waste my silver because it is expensive!

Oops-- found my answer! "Some other colors this will work well with are the transparent ambers, transparent purples (dark is best) cobalt, black, intense black, ink blue."

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by NorLigh; 2005-09-01 at 8:15am.
Old 2005-09-18, 8:16pm

Very cool, and I especially like the bead in water tip to show the encasing - fascinating!

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2005-12-04, 6:13pm
oxygen deprived

does it matter if you use effetre or vetrofond clear?
Old 2005-12-05, 12:21pm
holy crap on a cracker

Gorgeous bead, and thanks for the helpful pictures! Just beautiful. =D
Old 2005-12-05, 3:59pm
oxygen deprived

Okay, so I tried making one using vet clear. I got some of the reaction to happen with the silver turning blue but the stringered areas sort of disappeared. However, the blueish reaction looked green in some parts! Really cool. I figured it might do something like that since it turns silver yellow normally...

Thanks for the tut!
Old 2005-12-09, 12:42am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Sara, this is a wonderful tutorial! Nice job!

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2005-12-23, 8:44pm
phrit phreak

great tutorial! I can't wait to try this! Beautiful beads!
thanks
lori

Old 2005-12-24, 6:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alissa
However, the blueish reaction looked green in some parts! Really cool. I figured it might do something like that since it turns silver yellow normally...

Thanks for the tut!
Well, I have to admit that my recent blue beads are green, but that's cool, too. I'm using a different clear (vetrofond) now.

Old 2005-12-24, 10:04pm

Going to try now..

Old 2007-02-05, 11:59pm
Hopeless glass addict!

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarakay View Post
Here are some pictures how I made the blue bead...

http://www.petemacko.org/PICORAMA/Album.aspx?a=38
Awww! The link doesn't work any more!

~Mendy

Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2007-02-18, 5:11pm

Default I am getting the wrong site?

Hi Sarahkay, this site doesnt come up what am I doing wrong?
Wendy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarakay View Post
Here are some pictures how I made the blue bead...

http://www.petemacko.org/PICORAMA/Album.aspx?a=38
Old 2007-02-19, 11:18am

I was also wondering, but didn't want to ask. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Irish Girl View Post
A question about threaded clear.....what is it? Clear stringer pulled extremely thin? Clear that is silvered similar to the silvered ivory process??? Inquiring minds want to know....thanks for a GREAT tutorial and a FABULOUS blue bead!
Old 2007-02-19, 11:55am
Glass Addict

I gave it a try, but I don't think I made my stringer thin enough. Here are the two I made. One with striking red and one blue

Name:  c9a3_1.jpg
Views: 3189
Size:  9.6 KB
Name:  e299_1.jpg
Views: 3196
Size:  10.0 KB

Doesn't look as nice as yours though.

Last edited by madnesssr; 2007-02-19 at 11:57am.
Old 2007-02-19, 1:51pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Every time this thread pops to the top I feel compelled to try yet again to make a "Blue Bead." And yet again I have another failure... I'm either very stubborn or eternally hopeful.
Old 2007-02-23, 7:45am

I am working on a hothead using moretti transparent cobalt blue and clear. I have tried this bead several times, and get a beautiful sparkly, cosmic looking bead, but I do not get the color change that alot of people experience. Can this be achieved on a hothead or do I need to do this bead on a better torch (maybe someday, I'll get lucky and get one). Also, does the moretti glass work on this technique or do I need a different glass/coe? I see references to Vetrofond and still learning, I do not know how this differs from moretti. Your input would be appreciated.

Old 2007-03-01, 9:25pm

I have done this on a HH, not as strong, but in some spots... I used Moretti, I believe.
Sara told me it had everything to do with the phase of the moon, the way I was sitting, hot I was breathing... One of those tricky techniques that works when it wants to - I only achieved it once.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2007-03-31, 1:23pm

Sorry about the link. That was on my exbf's site and it doesn't exist anymore.

I made that bead a long time ago. I had been making beads with cobalt and silver, and started noticing a pretty blue reaction in places on the beads. I wanted to try to get that reaction all over a bead.

It was done with moretti clear. I've been using vetrofond clear, and I get a green bead now.

It's a reduction/fuming technique. Since a lot of silver-heavy glass is on the market now, I understand a little bit more about how it works. Double Helix has good information on their site about how to strike silver.

Make your base bead, roll in silver.

To apply threaded stringer, heat a small gather of glass and, out of the flame, touch the gather down on the bead. Spin your bead to pull out thin strings of glass.

Adjust your flame so that it is slightly reducing (if you're on a hot head, you've already got a reducing flame). Just brush the surface of the bead in your flame to melt in the stringer threads and the silver. Watch for the color change. I do this under the flame. At this point, you are reducing the silver on the bead and also fuming.

And sit right in your chair and hope the planets are aligned.

When you case the bead, only apply heat to the casing, not the core of the bead. If you overheat the base bead, you'll end up with grey.

And please use good ventilation when you work with silver on your beads.

Old 2007-03-31, 2:08pm
Covered in glitter

Dumb question here...not the first and not the last! LOL
After you burnish your foil on, you aren't burning it in, are you? Just leaving it on top of the bead, right?

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-04-02, 7:10pm

Adjust your flame so that it is slightly reducing (if you're on a hot head, you've already got a reducing flame). Just brush the surface of the bead in your flame to melt in the stringer threads and the silver. Watch for the color change. I do this under the flame. At this point, you are reducing the silver on the bead and also fuming.

And sit right in your chair and hope the planets are aligned.

Old 2007-04-02, 7:11pm

Cross your toes, too.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2007-04-02, 7:50pm
Covered in glitter

I can't WAIT to try this. I'll cross everything I can think of to cross if I can get a bead anywhere close to that gorgeous thing!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-04-02, 9:50pm

This is not an easy reaction to get. And quit asking me what threaded stringer is. I think I've explained it several times now.

Old 2007-04-03, 3:23am
Frit frit and more frit!

I was playing with this technique yesterday with both moretti and vetro clear. The vetro brings out sooooo many more colours for me, it is really, really special. I love the moretti effect too, but the vetro is my fave.

Thanks for this tut, its simple and fun!
Old 2007-04-03, 5:59pm

Sorry about being a grump about threaded stringer last night. I have some pictures of it somewhere. I'll try to dig them up this weekend. Threaded stringer can really be your friend. It's not hard to do, once you understand what it is.

I like vetrofond glass alot, too, beadysam.

Old 2007-04-06, 9:26pm
Covered in glitter

Hummm....I thought I knew what threaded stringer was but I'll be interested to see the pics.
I made a couple of these beads today and I didn't get a lot of the robin's egg blue but I got some of the coolest reactions. I can't wait to see the beads out of the kiln. I have to wait for Mari to send them to me unless I can get her to take a pic. Great tut!!! Thanks so much for sharing.

Old 2007-04-07, 12:02pm

I added pictures of threaded stringer to the first post in this thread.

Deb, I'd love to see what you made!