Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-07-20, 2:18pm

Cool Exhaust and makeup air ?

I only have one wall above ground in my basement studio to use for exhaust and makeup air. #1 How far do they need to be from each other and how big should the venting be? I have a zephyr tempest 2 hood 30"W x 24" D it has 3 speeds 290 cfm, 600 cfm, 1000 cfm. the duct opening is 8".
I also have a downdraft vent to use for my soldering area it is 600cfm and uses a 6" duct .

#2 Would it be possible to vent these out one hole using duct and blast gates like a dust collection system? I prefer as few holes in the side of my house as possible. I have no windows in this room. I will be using natural gas.

TIA
Kelli in AK
Old 2013-07-23, 10:05pm
TJ

Hi Kelli,

I am just in the process of setting up my first studio, so I am no expert, but I do know the answer to one of your questions without a doubt: the exhaust and make-up air need to be a minimum of 10 feet apart.

In my case, I have one small bsmt window, and the exhaust and makeup ducting are both going out that window. However, I am running the ducting from the makeup air an extra 10 feet out to the side to ensure I am getting clean air.

I am not familiar with your torch, but for my Lucio torch I was told that 600cfm would not likely be enough, generally speaking.

Look up posts by Dale and Mike A. in the Safety forum for lots of excellent info on ventilation.

Isn't this ventilation stuff FUN???! (sarcasm!) I cannot wait til it is done...

I wish you luck with your design!

Tami
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.