LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2005-07-13, 12:19pm

Default Making Glass Pens

Making Glass Pens

This Tutorial contains many embedded step by step photos and I don't know how to get it to display properly in this format. I have tried to attached it as a Microsoft Word document and a PDF file, but it is too large, sorry.

You can view it on our website at: http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/making_glass_pens.html.

Arrow Springs - Everything You Need For Flameworking
www.arrowsprings.com
Flameworking Tools, Glass, Ovens, Supplies, Books, Videos and all the help you need.

Last edited by arrowsprings; 2005-07-13 at 12:30pm.
Old 2005-07-13, 12:40pm

Thank you Arrowsprings for contributing to this thread.

Laurie
Old 2005-08-08, 11:05pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I'm teaching a class on making glass pens at the Toledo Museum of Art in October, and was really disappointed to find out that Arrow Springs is no longer carrying the reeded cane for making the nibs. Bummer...

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-09, 6:08am

Do you know who is carrying it now?
Old 2007-04-24, 6:42am
Bitten by the travel bug

I got some while I was in Lauscha from the faberglasschutte..Im not sure if its a regular line or not - it was a gift .

Old 2007-04-24, 7:53am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Krista, I just got five pounds of it in, and it took a year and a half to get from "I need this glass" to "Yay! It's finally here!"

PaulaD of Tin City is going to start carrying it, along with the gorgeous candy canes you can use for marbles or pen bodies.

I had originally planned to offer the ribbed cane by the rod on my site, but after how long it took for me to get it, I decided to hang onto it. I teach glass pens, and use the ribbed cane in class and also give some to each student to take home, so it's imperative that I don't run out.

Also Available in

Old 2007-04-24, 8:03am

Tink. You teach glass pens?!? Is that in Toledo? I've always wanted to see one made. I keep thinking I'd like to do one.
Old 2007-04-24, 8:07am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Yep. It's a lot of fun In fact, we teach it as a beginner class because it's all about heat control and gravity: Perfect pre-beadmaking warmup. Because of our heavy travel schedule this year, we're on hiatus from the Museum until next year.

It's also one small part of our Tips and Tricks class. Maybe I need to talk to Sharon about classes at Inspired Fire...

Edited to Add: I did a Glass Pen Valentine Challenge on Wet Canvas a couple of years ago. It is really a great thread! Check it out:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...ght=glass+pens

Also Available in

Last edited by Tink; 2007-04-24 at 8:12am.
Old 2007-04-24, 8:32am

Bummer on the museum. I was just talking with a Fort Wayne gal and wondering how we could schedule classes there.

Between the drive and the cost of lodging I don't usually go to Inspired Fire. But for this I might. I've always been fascinated by pens.
Old 2007-04-24, 2:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
I had originally planned to offer the ribbed cane by the rod on my site, but after how long it took for me to get it, I decided to hang onto it. I teach glass pens, and use the ribbed cane in class and also give some to each student to take home, so it's imperative that I don't run out.
I can fully understand holding on to it, and can definately second how hard it is to get. <sigh>

A.

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
Old 2007-04-24, 4:00pm

Can someone tell me what "ribbed cane" is? It seems like something you would just make. Is there an image of ribbed cane some where?
Old 2007-04-24, 7:23pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

NightCat, it's can that has "ribs" in it, lengthwise. You can certainly make it yourself by using an optic mold, but for me that never turns out as crisp and nice as the pre-made stuff.

I've been encouraging PaulaD (Tin City) to carry it. You can't go wrong dealing with Paula, so this would be a Very Good Thing...

Also Available in

Old 2007-04-25, 9:31am

Thank-You Tink. BTW, I love your work!
~R
Old 2007-05-01, 11:46am

Tink Thank You for the kind words. I will have some in my next Lauscha order.
I'm waiting for them to produce their black (sometime this month) which was out of stock the first time and then it will ship. My guess is that it will be a few more months before it's here.
Students are Dustin's class last weekend were able to buy Lauscha for the first time in CT and they are loving it!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !