LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-08-10, 9:27am
I have beady eyes

The positive side goes to the picture. The negative side goes to nothing. Positive=picture, negative=nothing. Easiest way to remember I could think of. Bubbles should be on positive side.

I'd worry way more about the chemicals than the electricity. The original article used a D cell battery - and it works well. Lantern battery gets the job done a little quicker - get the cheap ones, they last just as well as the bunny ones.

When you are done - color with alcohol inks (like for stamping) or put on a patina and then use prismacolor pencils - the soft ones. Way cool.
Old 2010-08-12, 6:40pm
Enjoying Life!

tried this with a skinny sharpie. when i took it out to see how the etching was going, the marker slid right off. tried it with fat sharpie and after 20 mins I took it out and stopped because the power source was getting hot. I want to order some of those papers that Terry was talking about. terry, do i need the laminater thingy too or just the pack of papers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ SRA #T62
Old 2010-08-13, 1:06am
Tomato Killer

LauraLou, when I've used ink as a resist, heat-setting the ink (with a blowdryer since I didn't have a heat gun) made a big difference in terms of staying power. Also have had the best luck with the red Staedtler Lumocolor pens that are recommended in the protocol Karen Christians wrote (http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...nsfer_etch.htm)
and with StazOn ink. This is with a chemical bath though, over several hours.
Old 2010-08-13, 5:02am
Enjoying Life!

Tami, the piece that etched did not bubble, when i took it out, the ink slid right off.

AdiaB, I did read somewhere about using StazOn ink. I'll have to try that next time. I need more salt though. I bought a cool stamp to try with the ink.... thought I had StazOn, but don't. guess another trip to michaels and the grocery store are in order!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ SRA #T62
Old 2010-08-13, 9:30am
Covered in glitter

"Learn how to etch base metals by electrically supercharging saltwater in this all-levels tutorial. This project appeared in the November 2008 issue of Art Jewelry."

This is a great article with lots of pics of the set up.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-08-13, 9:52am
Enjoying Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
"Learn how to etch base metals by electrically supercharging saltwater in this all-levels tutorial. This project appeared in the November 2008 issue of Art Jewelry."

This is a great article with lots of pics of the set up.
I have the magazine. It doesn't cover resist methods though.

~ SRA #T62
Old 2010-08-13, 11:27am
Enjoying Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thl View Post
Hmmmm, sharpie sliding off... Gosh, it seems to work for me. I just let it dry. Could there be oil or something on your metal?
No, I scrubbed it with dawn and a scotchbrite pad. it only happened with the thin sharpie, not the regular sharpie. I just figured it came off because it was a thinner layer of ink.

how many times do you guys re-use the salt water solution? After 2 times I couldn't see the copper pieces, the water was all coppery colored, not yellow like tracy's is in her pic.

~ SRA #T62
Old 2010-08-14, 12:19pm

I'm still fooling with this and don't have much to show for my efforts. It is a challenge. I've burned up two transformers so far, so my next try is going to be with the battery charger and resistor.

I have been puzzling out which side the bubbler goes on too and have had the best luck with it placed on the negative side which is the side that has the junk piece of copper. I've had my sharpie ink flake off and also slide off.

I'm curious about the sludgy gunky stuff that coats the piece you're trying to etch. You get a bunch of it on the unetched piece of copper but the piece being etched gets a coating of it too. On one of my attempts I wiped it off and it removed my resist and quit etching the metal. Should I wipe it off or leave it on there until I'm done?

How many times can you use the water? And what do you do with the waste water? I've been trying to find out and have read a couple MSDS sheets on Copper Salts and they all say to dispose of it according to federal, state and local standards. I'm guessing I need to find my local toxic waste dump. So far I haven't found a feasible method to neutralize the waste water. I have read you can dilute it water to a safe parts per million but its an insane amount of water needed something like the amount needed to fill a swimming pool.

Any thoughts or tips will be appreciated
Old 2010-08-15, 9:59am

Here is a link to purchase the article in the November 2008 Art Jewelry magazine. Its $3.95 to purchase the pdf file. I've just glanced thru the article and can see two areas where I will be making corrections to my process.

http://www.artjewelrymag.com/sitecor...er%202008.aspx
Old 2010-08-15, 10:51am
I have beady eyes

Your piece of copper without the design will get used up eventually. Just wipe off the sludge and keep going. The water can be reused many times. To dispose, let the water evaporate and throw out the copper and salt that remain. PNP blue paper works really well as a resist or paint pens. Thin Sharpies don't put down enough ink to be a resist. Keep the 2 plates directly across from each other and close in the salt water.
Old 2010-08-16, 5:51am

Thanks Tami & Christa for extra information. I'm going to put my revised set up together this week and will check back in to show my results........if I have any that is
Old 2010-09-30, 11:56pm

Default Help using a Rectifier for Etching

Would someone using a rectifier help me set up my rectifier for etching? I haven't used it in years and want to set it up correctly (i.e. I don't want to burn it up). Also, a photo or diagram would be quite helpful.

BTW, I purchased and used the PCB transfer toner paper and foil that Terry reommended. It made the most awesome, clear images that I have ever gotten. I have used PnP paper, markers, and Stayz-on ink in the past. Check out the images:

Old 2011-06-26, 4:44am
Carpe beadum

Time to revive this thread.......

I just found this link to make your own transfer paper. I'll be trying it tomorrow.

http://www.radagast.org/~dplatt/hamr...sfer_paper.pdf

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2011-06-26, 9:58am
Formerly FishBulb

I'm glad to see this thread is back! So much cool information here.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-10-13, 5:48pm
Slave to the Flame

Audrey, did you need the foil? How did it work for you? Let me know what you think. I am going to order the paper too.

I am using a 12v Car Battery Charger, it seems a tad agressive to me, it really goes at it, and in fact I am wondering if it is overkill. hehe, but it works...not real impressive what I have done, but it does work.

Thanks
Laura

Our Website!

Our Latest ITEMS

Supplies

Our BLOG