No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-11, 8:13am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Zoozii Nugget Press

I am playing with a new press I received from someone on here a few weeks ago in the garage and I must say I am loving it. It is one of the easier presses to use imo.

But, I did have an issue with getting the glass into the corners. Yesterday I discovered if I get the bead just a little hotter and then quickly press , it seemed to work better.

For those of you who use this shape of press, do you think the corners are okay in this bead? I am not sure if they are crisp enough, thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-11, 8:34am
Addicted to Melting Glass

I go for the crisp corners, most of the time, but yours look lovely.

Old 2010-01-11, 8:39am

I think they look great. Sometimes with presses I go for the exact shape of the press and sometimes I use it more as a shaping tool. Those are beautiful!
Old 2010-01-11, 8:49am
I like to melt things

I think they look great. With my nugget press, what I usually do is press it once for the shape, then add little dabs of Clear (or whatever colour is appropriate) in each corner, get the bead hot again and re-press it one last time to get the crisper shape.

-
-
Old 2010-01-11, 9:17am
Jacqueline Parkes

I want to do this as well but when you have detailed designs on the bead and add drops of glass in the corners it distorts the flowers. I tried this yesterday and it did not work..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
I think they look great. With my nugget press, what I usually do is press it once for the shape, then add little dabs of Clear (or whatever colour is appropriate) in each corner, get the bead hot again and re-press it one last time to get the crisper shape.

Old 2010-01-11, 11:17am
Puddy Cat Lover

Hi,
Your beads are very pretty. I think that if you have consistent corners on all your beads, it looks fine, like you meant to do it that way. But, I would only go for sharp corners with a bead that's made with frit or just one color because, adding glass to a bead with a design, such as flowers or scrolls, will just distort the design (like gems said). You may want to make the base bead one color or frit decorated, and then have raised floral designs or scrolls on the surface. That always works nicely. Just mho.

J.

Old 2010-01-11, 11:37am
Jacqueline Parkes

I like your ideas , thank you. I think rounded corners are nicer with florals so I am now happy with doing it this way. I just needed some input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Savina View Post
Hi,
Your beads are very pretty. I think that if you have consistent corners on all your beads, it looks fine, like you meant to do it that way. But, I would only go for sharp corners with a bead that's made with frit or just one color because, adding glass to a bead with a design, such as flowers or scrolls, will just distort the design (like gems said). You may want to make the base bead one color or frit decorated, and then have raised floral designs or scrolls on the surface. That always works nicely. Just mho.

J.

Old 2010-01-11, 2:30pm

Hi, I use the nugget press most of the time. Your beads are really lovely and the shape is very soothing especially for florals. If you do want to make a sharper edge, try adding more glass to the middle of the bead, not the ends. The extra glass will move toward all four corners.
Old 2010-01-11, 2:38pm
Life is change. Love it

If you make your bead more in a cylinder shape rather than a football you will get crisper corners. I like the look of yours though

Old 2010-01-11, 2:41pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I am actually making it in a barrel shape. Is that what you mean when you say cylinder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
If you make your bead more in a cylinder shape rather than a football you will get crisper corners. I like the look of yours though

Old 2010-01-11, 2:42pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Thank you, I will try that next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgglass View Post
Hi, I use the nugget press most of the time. Your beads are really lovely and the shape is very soothing especially for florals. If you do want to make a sharper edge, try adding more glass to the middle of the bead, not the ends. The extra glass will move toward all four corners.

Old 2010-01-11, 3:07pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I am actually making it in a barrel shape. Is that what you mean when you say cylinder?
Yes, I find that I often don't get crisp corners on the first press, so I reheat getly and re-press. Do this too often though and the design will distort.