Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-27, 6:23pm

Default hot head

What is best height to work with a torch?

I am just starting out and I am having a hard time seeing the flame and the glass I am trying to work. Very uncomfortable and tiring.
Would appreciate your advice.

Thankyou
Old 2012-02-27, 6:32pm
Salt Box Beads

You need didy's if don't have them, and I use a black background to see better with.

Height and distance of torch is individual. I need armrests to keep my back from aching and I stand while torching.
Old 2012-02-27, 6:49pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

A dark background makes a HUGE difference! I do find sometimes I have to lift my didys to find the "sweet spot" in the flame - it depends on what glass I'm using, some colors I just have trouble seeing if it's melting or not.

I torch standing, but don't use armrests. I think position is going to be something you have to sort of figure out for yourself through practice. I clearly remember when I first started driving that it was EXHAUSTING to hold my hands up on the wheel, I think a lot of it is just getting the muscle memory to work with something new and awkward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-02-27, 6:53pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

What Pat said about the dark background works wonders for seeing the flame. For a while I could only torch at night, until I realized I could just block the windows in my studio and paint the wall across from my torch black.

I do sit at my torch, but recently changed my setup so now I don't have an armrest (no room now that I have a kiln). I need to fix that 'cause my shoulders are starting to kill me. My home-made armrest was awesome, but there just isn't any room now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
A dark background makes a HUGE difference! I do find sometimes I have to lift my didys to find the "sweet spot" in the flame - it depends on what glass I'm using, some colors I just have trouble seeing if it's melting or not.

I torch standing, but don't use armrests. I think position is going to be something you have to sort of figure out for yourself through practice. I clearly remember when I first started driving that it was EXHAUSTING to hold my hands up on the wheel, I think a lot of it is just getting the muscle memory to work with something new and awkward.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-02-27, 7:00pm
Loving learning

And the angle of the torch can make a difference too. The angle iron I have so that it holds my torch at an angle, but I'm going to get a couple of different ones so I can see how I like it more upright, etc.
I don't use my HH much, but I do use it sometimes, and it's nice when you don't have to injure yourself to use it.
Old 2012-02-27, 7:18pm

Default thank you all

I was afraid you were going to say individual. LOL I will keep at it.

YES on the darken room/windows. I was out in the shop after dark and it did help. I am using the glasses, but it is tougher to see with them. I forgot to put them on a couple of times.

I will try changing where the torch is located so I am facing away from the window. However, if this keeps up I am going to have to get the saw out and cut a hole in the table to get the torch bottle further in. I am still using the small bottles of gas. I also feel that I need to get a higher chair to sit on. I just think it would be better if I was higher up on the torch.

I did try standing, but can't do that for long either.

Will keep at it. Thank you.
Old 2012-02-27, 8:07pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You can get a hose for torch and "STILL" keep using the small gas canisters... With hose you can eliminate the bulk of canister in your lap (it now sits on floor) and you then can change angle of torch to anything that works for you...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=103
http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=104

IF you decide to go with hose just be sure it has the 1 inch "disposable" canister style fittings on each end...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2012-02-27, 8:10pm
Loving learning

Are you using the torch with the canister sitting on your table, or clamped on with the canister hanging down toward your lap?
I'm worrying that you're using it sitting on the table, which makes me very nervous since you could knock it over if that is the case.
Old 2012-02-28, 1:09am
Naysayer

It depends on your set up, not all tables chairs and bodies are the same

When I was on a HH I bent my bracket so the torch was lower, I know a lot torch with it straight up and that just seems odd to me, so again it's just a matter of preference.
Old 2012-02-28, 6:27am
flight risk

Somebody on here used an expandable dining room table. They pulled the sections apart where the leaf would go and then put the board with the attached torch crosswise across the gap. It gave them a space to slide in and have built-in "arm rests". I thought it was brilliant.

Old 2012-02-28, 9:42am
Salt Box Beads

I have a large skylight over my head, an ott light on the bench and a window that I can just raise my head up and see out of. Sometimes I will have the double doors wide open too. I like my light airy open bright studio. I like the ott light on my bench so I can see my colors truly when I look at them.

I don't wear didy's personally, I prefer to look through a shield for several reasons, first is I broke my nose several years ago and they hurt, second is because when I look away I can see everything in natural colors, and third because it helps block radient heat from my face and fourth because I can easily place my large quilters magnifyer over the shield and do close tight stringer work.

I have taken lampwork classes with no black background, really bright lighting and had no trouble at all seeing everything that I was doing in the flame and that was going on with the flame itself. I do wear didy's for the classes though.

I am trying to figure out why you are having a hard time seeing the flame and getting tired. You should not have to work in a dungeon type studio just to see what you are doing in the flame. I will try to help and figure this out for you.
Old 2012-02-28, 11:33am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
It depends on your set up, not all tables chairs and bodies are the same

When I was on a HH I bent my bracket so the torch was lower, I know a lot torch with it straight up and that just seems odd to me, so again it's just a matter of preference.
I always had it straight up I thought it was funny to see someone have it down a bit recently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinainmymind View Post
Somebody on here used an expandable dining room table. They pulled the sections apart where the leaf would go and then put the board with the attached torch crosswise across the gap. It gave them a space to slide in and have built-in "arm rests". I thought it was brilliant.
THIS IS SUCH A GREAT IDEA!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-02-28, 12:06pm
Gentleman of Leisure

There is no reason to struggle with canister on torch...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2012-02-28, 3:42pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Cherri, I had similar issues seeing the flame when I first started, but it was the didys that were the problem. I got used to it, but it was hard to have a spatial awareness in the flame, because I'd used the flare to tell me where the sweet spot in the flame, in that first week or so before my didys arrived. Wait for the glasses? Hell no!
I was amazed at the adjustment required after that, but I got there.
You should be able to just see the outer blue cone, a few inches beyond the initial cone from the mouth of the torch. Somewhere near the end of that second cone should be your sweet spot, depending on what glass you're using. It's the cleanest part of the flame (for me, anyway) for working colours or clear.

You'll have to play around with posture etc. If you're tiring easily, there clearly is something wrong with your current position.
As for the torch itself, it might help if you use a small bench vise to clamp your hose/torch to. My hose has its own handle, so it fits into the vise nicely, and I have cup hooks under the table (a repurposed dining table) to keep the hose away from my legs/feet.
I use a cushioned workshop stool on wheels, so I can move around to adjust my position if need be.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-03-12, 8:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Are you using the torch with the canister sitting on your table, or clamped on with the canister hanging down toward your lap?
I'm worrying that you're using it sitting on the table, which makes me very nervous since you could knock it over if that is the case.
LORD NO

That sucker is strapped down to the table. LOL
Old 2012-03-12, 8:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
There is no reason to struggle with canister on torch...

Dale
Thank you Dale will check this out.
Was just talking to DH tonight and told him that I am going to have to have bigger propane tanks. One I am very, very uncomfortable with the tank set up and I am really peeved because the tanks want to freeze up on me. At least that is what it seems like. Start out with a really nice flame and after a bit, starts getting weak. I catch myself working closer and closer to the torch head.

I will conquer this.
Cher
Old 2012-03-12, 8:08pm

I wanted to thank everyone for their replies.

I am moving it around and doing the best I can.

I will keep working at it

I made such a mess today. lol

Still having a bit of trouble seeing the spot, but getting there.

Thanks
Old 2012-03-13, 2:19am

I was worried about keeping my wrists straight, so I put on wrist braces, and kept adjusting my (unlit) torch until I could comfortably do what's needed while keeping my wrists straight. (I no longer wear the braces while torching, they were a learning tool).
I also made sure I got the longest L bracket I could find, so I could adjust my torch up and down on it.

And I got a piece of black cardboard (don't shriek just yet), tried it in different places, and discovered that I needed my table top to be black so I could see the flame, so I spray painted a patch on the concrete board table top. Looks real classy.
Old 2012-03-13, 4:53am
Glass-aholic

A tile from home depot or lowes (12x12 ish) is about $1, comes in black and other colors. It is easily moved around to where you need it to see. It also makes a pretty good marver

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: