Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2008-02-22, 6:10am

I am new to boro also and am loving this thread. I tried a couple of them this past weekend. Thanks so much for putting this together for us newbies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R-118
Old 2008-02-23, 7:34pm
New Grandma

Is there any on seahorses?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

One of the love of my life.

Old 2008-02-23, 8:13pm

tried to get one but was not successful. If there is anyone reading this who can do one for us we would love it.

Old 2008-02-23, 8:18pm

I'd like to see one on making buttons. yup boro buttons. that would be good. also saw something called "moving mud" that was well like a glass buckle made with a free formed disk with a large round hole and a straight piece that looked separate. some how makes a closure for things like leather bags, sweaters etc. be cool to see how to make them also. Pretty much I enjoy any tutorials that show up here.

Rob
Old 2008-02-23, 8:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'd like to see one on making buttons. yup boro buttons. that would be good. also saw something called "moving mud" that was well like a glass buckle made with a free formed disk with a large round hole and a straight piece that looked separate. some how makes a closure for things like leather bags, sweaters etc. be cool to see how to make them also. Pretty much I enjoy any tutorials that show up here.

Rob
here is a picture of the things I was talking about.

Rob.
Old 2008-02-23, 8:29pm

Rob that's interesting! Haven't seen those before.

Okay so if you guys have any ideas of who we can ask for tutorials Kare and I are more than happy to send out the requests. As of right now I think we're pretty much at the end of our list of willing teachers. Any ideas out there?

Old 2008-02-23, 8:48pm

ummm I don't know who to ask. Have you tried bribing them? feel free to promise that if they do a tutorial I'll nev er show up and inflict raspberries on them

Rob.

Ps. I think I could figure out how to make them if I could figure out how they work. but I can't do that until I make one to see how it works. vicious circle.

Last edited by Rob; 2008-02-23 at 8:49pm. Reason: to add a ps.
Old 2008-02-24, 5:23am
Serenity Now!

Hey Rob - those look quite similar to hair things. I'm sure if you go to your pharmacy, and look in the girlie section of hair stuff, you'll see them - they're usually made with ugly, cheap plastic. Although for hair they are somewhat curved, the concept is the same...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2008-02-24, 8:27am

rob, thanks for the ideas !
We will look for some tutorials on seahorses, buttons and togle closures.
The only seahorses I found so far is for soft.
The togle looks like a mashed circle. I'll try to play today and see what comes out.

Old 2008-02-24, 8:50am

A couple methods for buttons http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh....php?p=1577388

Old 2008-02-24, 2:18pm

I can work on something for this thread
I am a procrastinator though so remind me often

Old 2008-02-24, 8:43pm

Rob sorry didn't do any glass today, sitting typing with one hand with a wrist wrapped and iced
Didn't want you to think I was blowing you off. I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks, so not torch until later. Hopefully someone else gan give it a shot

Old 2008-02-24, 10:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare TX View Post
Rob sorry didn't do any glass today, sitting typing with one hand with a wrist wrapped and iced
Didn't want you to think I was blowing you off. I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks, so not torch until later. Hopefully someone else gan give it a shot
what did you do to your hand?

I didn't feel like or think I was being blown off. I figured out years ago that if people are doing me a favor that its always worth waiting for.
If anyone (first) nows how the closures work and (second) can explain that well I may be able to make them all by my self. I'm just lost on that. what I see is a disk and a stick and that just doesn't equal a buckle in my mind. I did go look at the hair things and they do look sort of like what I see in that picture. Can't see how they work either. I've never really paid any attention to hair thingies before.

Rob.
Old 2008-02-24, 10:45pm

The way that I've seen them work is the fabric comes up through the hole in the round part. The stick then sticks through that fabric twice (coming out the other side) and then rests on top of the circle part. I'm not sure how they'd be used as cufflinks or buckles though.

Old 2008-02-25, 9:24pm

hey kare tx, would you mind telling the color(s) you used on the bead in your signature? its absolutely beautiful.
Old 2008-02-25, 10:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo101 View Post
hey kare tx, would you mind telling the color(s) you used on the bead in your signature? its absolutely beautiful.
yep that sucker is gorgeous!!

Old 2008-02-26, 7:22am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

I thought it may be to your advantage to know I am hosting a boro bulk buy in the Bulk buy section of the garage sale. All the information as well as cost per lb is there. This is boro case pricing so you are getting a good deal.
No-buy-in-fee

Thanks!
Old 2008-02-26, 6:12pm

Rob thanks, I hate when I say I'm going do something and then don't.
I smacked my wrist pretty hard. A week later still black and blue and swollen. Good news not broken.

The color in my sig bead is Momka stormy weather with some clear. started out with a pre mix tip and wasn't happy and changed to a surface mixed tip to finish. Used a clear stringer for swirls the color change is heat. Note have changed signature the current picture is Momka Cherry Blossom-lots of heat and marvering.

Last edited by Kare TX; 2013-07-31 at 7:31pm.
Old 2008-02-26, 6:31pm

Rob, not sure if this will help. You could pull the fabric, or what ever, in front of or in back of the "stick."
Attached Images

Old 2008-02-26, 8:00pm

that does help me get an clearer image. doesn't look like they will work as a buckle. they look like they are basically on the idea of a fibula. well back to hunting for a way to make something out of glass that will work as a "buckle"

Rob.
Old 2008-02-26, 8:35pm

Default thanks

hey thanks kare,
i thought it was stormy weather but i wasnt sure. what parts of the colors did u get from premix? im curious cus i have a surface mix midrange but the minor on top is premix.
im sorry bout ur wrist but im glad its not broken
hey sometimes u can sorta comb a black and blue out with a spoon from the freezer. lol same principal behind getting rid of hickeys.

hey elegance can u link us up to the bulk buy? im kinda techno-tarded and i cant find it.
Old 2008-02-26, 8:43pm

hey rob u can make the buckle thing up top as a toggle closure, if that makes sense. i can try do a rough sketch if you tell me how to upload it to the thread. if u do it as a toggle it would work more like a button and less like a buckle. it would be almost exactly like what kare posted cept u wouldnt attach the middle line thingy to the circle- it would be a long button that comes out and thru sorta like some coats have. u wouldnt really have to do the circle if they had a button hole for it to go thru but if u wanted to have matching findings on both sides for ur project then yea u could make a matchin circle for the female end of the button. like this -> o (female side) / (long toggle thing.. u could do it as a long bead, or a long shape wit a lil loop in the middle for them to thread it) .. ok can someone tell me how to upload a picture i think itd be a lot easier to show u.. or u can also just make a normal button if u make a disk and then punty up to the bottom of it, and stab some button holes wit a tungsten pick.
Old 2008-02-26, 8:58pm

Jojo- got baby poop from the premix. was irritated because its a large bead and a lot of glass so I changed back to my normal tip and got really lucky.

To load, a couple of ways but...I click "go advanced" then page doen to the "manage attachments" and click there.
Click one of the browse buttons. After you select you pictures click the up load. When it tells you it is done uploading you can close that pop-up screen and go on with your post.

Old 2008-02-26, 9:08pm

If you attached the cross piece to the circle it could work as a buckle of sorts. or a to scale hook and eye?
Attached Images

Old 2008-02-27, 10:17am

I'm not sure how Dawn posted other tuts from over on the WC site, but, given the ones that I did are pretty image heavy...probably would be a lot of work to transfer. So here is a link to the pulling points and blown bead tutorials. They start mid way down the page. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...=445124&page=3

Old 2008-02-27, 11:50am
boro newbie

Thanks Heidi, your tut rocks. Great pictures!!
Old 2008-02-27, 12:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoles View Post
I'm not sure how Dawn posted other tuts from over on the WC site, but, given the ones that I did are pretty image heavy...probably would be a lot of work to transfer. So here is a link to the pulling points and blown bead tutorials. They start mid way down the page. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...=445124&page=3
Oh shoot Heidi! I totally spaced transferring it over. Will work on that this week.

Old 2008-02-27, 1:24pm
Mandrel Slayer

Heidi - You rock. I am so going to try that.

Thanks,
Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2008-02-28, 7:41am
put a bird on it

That is a great one, Heidi, thanks so much for doing it!
Old 2008-03-01, 5:57pm

thanks kare
actually ok bob what she posted makes a lot more sense than what i was gonna make a picture of
thanks again to everyone addin to this thread!