No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-03-20, 8:47pm
Oooooh Baby!

Default encasing minerals

I read somewhere that the mineral Kyanite can be encased with boro. Are there any other mineral that can be encased. Is there a ratio that has to be kept in mind while encasing a mineral (example: 5% Kyanite 95% Glass)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-03-20, 9:00pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I know that you can encase opals, and molvite (sp) too.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-03-20, 9:32pm
I speak Murrini!

Hey Karen and Nancy:

I think you were speaking of "Moldavite" - here's the Wikipedia "opener" on this fascinating, and "out of this world" (literally!) mineral:

"Moldavite is an olive-green or dull greenish vitreous substance formed by a meteorite impact. It is one kind of tektite."

Here's a picture of what it looks like in the rough:

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-03-20, 10:17pm

Very interesting.

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-03-20, 11:51pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
I know that you can encase opals, and molvite (sp) too.
I don't think hot glass works with natural opals, but I know that Gilson opals which are man-made can be encased with boro. Natural opals are difficult to work with even in jewelry because of the temperatures used for soldering silver and gold. I think they would shatter. I have some rough opal scrap but I don't wanna test it to find out. Can Gilson opals be encased in soft glass or are they only compatible with boro?

Kelly

Old 2008-03-21, 5:52am
Oooooh Baby!

Thanks for your input everyone. I work at a rock and mineral place (Gilman's at Lost River Caverns) and going to start experimenting. I have a good start with the Kyanite, Moldavite, and Gibson Opals. I'll keep you all posted as to what works and doesn't work. I have some really cool ideas if it works.

Old 2008-03-21, 7:01am

Gilson Opal is synthetic and is compatible with boro, not with soft glass. Natural opal is a hydrated silicate and is not compatible with any sort of glass encasement.

Robert
Old 2008-03-21, 9:49am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

That's how you spell it (Moldavite)! Heh...hay, at least I knew
what it was - even though I can't spell for sh%$#t.
I get 1/2 a point! .

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Hey Karen and Nancy:

I think you were speaking of "Moldavite" - here's the Wikipedia "opener" on this fascinating, and "out of this world" (literally!) mineral:

"Moldavite is an olive-green or dull greenish vitreous substance formed by a meteorite impact. It is one kind of tektite."

Here's a picture of what it looks like in the rough:

DeAnne in CA

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-03-21, 12:11pm
geekitude on two wheels

Be careful if you experiment, many minerals will shatter explosively if heated too much due to inclusions, stress fractures and tiny bits of water trapped in the stone.
Old 2008-03-21, 2:43pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
That's how you spell it (Moldavite)! Heh...hay, at least I knew
what it was - even though I can't spell for sh%$#t.
I get 1/2 a point! .
You're too funny, Karen! You get more than 1/2 point (hows 3/4 point sound?) Giggle!!!!

Honestly, after cheating and copying my way through High School, and graduating not knowing for sure whether the word "egg" had two "g's" or two "e's", I started from square one, and retaught myself to spell. I was lucky enough to be offered an internship in a law office (which eventually turned into my 13 yr. legal career) - courtesy of my High School Business teacher, who somehow saw through the despondent and depressed teen I was, and had faith. I knew if I didn't get it "going on" in the spelling department, I was going to loose one of the great opportunities of my life! Now, it's just turned into something of a "savant" circumstance - considering I'm left handed in a right-handed world (aka "Born in the State of Confusion!"), and please don't ask me what 2+2 equals!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-03-21, 2:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
Gilson Opal is synthetic and is compatible with boro, not with soft glass. Natural opal is a hydrated silicate and is not compatible with any sort of glass encasement.

Robert
I have seen natural opal crack in direct sunlight! It can be *very* sensitive to temperature, due to the inclusions that make the opalescence.