LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-08-11, 9:49am

Default What Would You Buy For Your First Bead Press?

I am interested in trying out bead presses. I have resisted buying any because I have been afraid that once I tried one, I would want them all!

What would you suggest as a good press to buy as a first one? I am finally ready to take the plunge (that is, my life jacket is on, and I'm ready to swim. Someone please bless my pocketbook!!!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
Old 2007-08-11, 9:55am
yukue fumei

I would say lentil or straight sided lentil/button. The shapes are nice to the touch and the presses are relatively easy to start with

nagi

Old 2007-08-11, 10:03am

I agree! That one is fairly easy to use and even the nugget press is pretty cool!
Irene

Old 2007-08-11, 10:10am

Congrats! My first press was a regular lentil. I bought the Zoozii lentil trio first. It's a good first press, but I've found I really like the straight-sided lentil better. I think it's a little easier to use, personally, and love the look of the straight-sided lentils. I like the versatility of having it with the med. nugget.

Good luck!

Paula
Old 2007-08-11, 10:42am
da General

I bought the Nugget Trio and the Spree Trio (straight sided lentil). Since my natural shape is a barrel, I use the nugget more.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-08-11, 11:15am

I bought cattwalks button and dual crunch for my first- I would choose the button again - I plan on getting the larger crunch though instead of the dual
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-08-11, 11:38am

How exciting!

I suggest the lentil trio or the straight-sided lentil trio as well. I adore the tab trio still, but I think the lentils are best in the beginning. Good luck!

Old 2007-08-11, 11:49am

I like the crunch because it's less fussy about how much glass you put in there, or the spiral texture plate. Lentils rock, too, but give yourself time to learn, don't get frustrated - it's worth it, really!

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2007-08-11, 11:51am

I like the tab trio for a little more versatility. You can get nice straight crisp edges or melt them a little more for a softer look that is still round.

It took me forever to get decent holes on my lentil press, so I'd opt for the straight sided lentil although I do love the crisp edge on the non-hole sides of the lentil.

I also like the pillow shape, but once again, the holes take some practice.
Old 2007-08-11, 12:17pm

my first was the lentil, my next will be the ruffler by cattwalk

Old 2007-08-11, 12:19pm

I LOVE my Catwalk CRUNCH!!!!
Now that I'm getting better at crunching the right shape--and getting them "even" ....and the top makes a great barrel marver too!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-08-11, 4:49pm

I vote for the crunch too! Very versatile press/marver. It was my first and I wouldn't give it up!

Old 2007-08-11, 5:13pm

Wow, thanks so much everyone. Your suggestions are really helping me to narrow the choices down.

I am thinking of trying the Foster Fire Smooth and Tuff for the bead release. Do you have favorite sizes of mandrels? Do big or small work best starting out?

I think I will check and see if I can get one of Lori Greenberg's books on how to use presses. I bet that she addresses a lot of these types of questions in her book.

Woohoo! I am so excited!

Blog:
Old 2007-08-11, 5:20pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

FF Smooth and Tuff is a great choice.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-08-11, 5:27pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

As far as mandrels go - most presses are made to be used with a 1/16" mandrel, but if you request it (at least with Zoozii & Mike's Brass for Glass - I don't have Catwalk presses so I can't speak for them), they will grind them out to fit up to a 3/32" mandrel (if the depth of the press allows for it). I usually use 5/64" (in between 1/16 & 3/32) and those seem to work well in the presses, but are harder to find.
Old 2007-08-11, 6:43pm
I'm meeeeelting

I just bought my first press - Zoozii straight-sided lentil trio. It's pretty easy to use, having practiced on Feldt's Glass's regular lentil trio. I used it for the first time yesterday.
Old 2007-08-11, 7:03pm
Griffin Park Originals

Lentil was my favorite out of my presses.

Old 2007-08-12, 6:21am

Any of the Zooziis straight sided lentils. I love those. I didnt like the lentil shape becaise I could never get my holes to be nice and match, but with the SSL there's no prob.
Old 2007-08-12, 7:21am

I the crunch, because it works with ANY size mandrel
(the others work best with the 1/16th size!!)
Fosterfire release is nice (haven't tried the smooth & tough yet--just the older version) but Nikki got me hooked on Fusion...I really like that one

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-08-12, 11:06am

The Crunch looks really easy to use. Is there a trick to getting the ends squared off as opposed to indented right where the mandrel was?

I have narrowed my choices down to the Crunch, the Spree trio, or Nugget trio. I may have to draw my final choice out of a hat, heehee. They all look great! I certainly have a great Christmas list now. Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. It has really helped!

Blog:
Old 2007-08-13, 5:40am

my first press was from Tradesbears... she makes great presses and they are reasonably priced... and she has several molds to chose from... It has been so easy to use.. I love it
Sheltie

National 8 w/oxygen concentrator
Old 2007-08-13, 5:55am
addicted to dichro

My first was and is the zoozis crystal trio. Most of the beads I make are encased and the crystals look awesome when they are an encased design because the design seems to change from every angle. The beads are also closer to round than some of the beads from other presses, so they hardly ever crack if you have that problem. Its also easy to add glass if you don't get them the right size at first, and with the trio, if you mess up and don't get enough glass or get too much you can always try to next size up or down. I'm not sure if its harder to use or easier to use than the other presses, because right now its my only one. I'm thinking about trying a Kalera shape press sometime too.

Old 2007-08-13, 10:39am
Glass-aholic

pillow! i love it.....
________
NEXIUM WITHDRAW

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 8:01pm.
Old 2007-08-14, 9:48am
BeadsonCypress

My first choice would be the Cattwalk lentil 1" or larger. I use the top and the base independently of each other and use the top as a rounding marver all the time!