Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2005-12-12, 7:27pm

Default Art Glass Invitational / AGI 2006

Hi everybody. The Art Glass Invitational / AGI, which is sponsored by Glass Alchemy, LTD. will take place from August 21st through August 26th, 2006, and we want to update you on what is in store for you so far.

Demonstrations, lectures, and slide presentations will be conducted in The Lewis C. Wilson Building, and will include the following people:

-Emilio Santini- Several demonstrations over the course of 2 days. (Subject matter to be announced at a later date)

-Shane Fero- Flame working demonstrations, and several scholarly presentations over the course of 2 days.

-Henry Grimmett and (?)- A NEW presentation on working with color, including hands-on demonstrations and a question and answer period.

-Lewis C. Wilson; Flame working demonstrations- Lewis will demonstrate some of his trademark pieces, in addition to entertaining us with stories as only he can tell them!

-Bill Rasmussen; Flame working demonstrations- During Bill’s demonstration, we will hear stories of how he started and “how things used to be”. It will be a very special occasion to watch and listen to a true pioneer in the industry who has been working with glass for over 60 years.

-Barry Lafler; Scientific and novelty / specialty glass working demonstrations. Barry (a.k.a. “Bear”) will surprise us with some of his unique creations and tricks he has learned over the past 35 years.

-Steve Selchow; Flame working demonstrations- Steve is a true master of sculpture, and will be taking requests from the crowd as to what they would like to see.

-Deborah Carlson; Deborah will conduct a lecture about how to find the artist within yourself, and will be followed by a group activity in which volunteers will participate in several collaboration pieces.

-Tink; Our good friend Tink (a.k.a. Tinkenator, Tinkster, Tinkmeister, Tinkenstein) will be demonstrating some of her unique creations with us. (Subject matter to be announced at a later date)

-Dr. Ed; Our resident physician and fellow glass worker will discuss the hazards involved in our line of work and first aid during his slide presentation, followed by a question and answer period.

-Luke Gardner; Shot glasses. Luke will demonstrate his method of pulling lengths of finely detailed cane and using them for implosions. He will then demonstrate how to use the implosions to create functional shot glasses.

-Tom Doner (Mr. Wonka); Finding new markets- Tom will cover some of the material from his 2005 presentation, in addition to new products and marketing ideas he has discovered that nobody else is currently pursuing.

-In addition to the presentations, a major focus of AGI is learning from each other and networking with your peers. “We are all teachers, and we are all students” has always been our philosophy.

*NOTE- More presentations and more detailed descriptions will be added as we get closer to the event*

A special event will take place this year, in which Lewis Wilson will dedicate the completed “Lampworker’s Lounge” to his hero, and it will be called “The Bill Rasmussen Lounge”. Lewis and his wife Kathy will be here along with Bill and his wife Laura for the dedication. Bill holds a special place in the world of lampworking… He was the first glass worker at Disneyland, and also the first glass worker to create solid borosilicate sculptures. Before that, all boro sculptures were made of spun glass.

Bill has been called a “National Treasure” by his peers, and it will be an honor to dedicate a permanent place to him and his family who also work with glass. He has influenced the careers of people such as Lewis Wilson, Robert Mickelsen, and Milon Townsend, in addition to countless others.

The Bill Rasmussen Lounge will also feature “The Wall”, which is a project Lewis Wilson and Tom Doner are working on. This wall will feature photographs, biographies, and articles from glass workers that have been working with glass for 30 or more years.

To apply for AGI, please send an e-mail to info@glass123.com, with some information about yourself and why you would like to attend. Feel free to send a LINK to some photographs of your work if you want.

*NOTE- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A GLASS MASTER TO ATTEND AGI.
This event is for glass workers of all skill levels and areas of expertise, and every year we have a percentage of people who have little to no experience working with glass.

The cost for this event is $500.00 for the entire week, and it includes propane, oxygen, and 40+ work stations for guests to use to practice what they have learned and to work with others. The guest list is limited to 100 people, and the work shops will be open from 10:00 AM – 2:00 AM every day.

There is free camping available, and a motel which is approximately 10 minutes away from our facility. We provide a cooking area (grills, oven / stove, microwave ovens, etc.) to prepare your own food. There are also several places that will deliver, and a limited menu will include food prepared by our staff.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to call or e-mail us at:

The Glass Blowing Center
114 Leonard Road
Hilliards, Pennsylvania 16040
info@glass123.com
(724) 791-2100

We are located approximately 1-1/2 hours north of Pittsburgh International Airport, and a map can be found on our web page: http://www.glass123.com .

Thanks for listening, and we hope to see you at AGI 2006

Sincerely,
Tom and Elaine Doner (a.k.a. “Mr & Mrs. Wonka”), and Luke Gardner

Here is an article that appeared in THE FLOW MAGAZINE:
http://www.csonline.net/glass/looie.pdf

Here is an article that appeared in GLASSLINE MAGAZINE:
http://www.csonline.net/glass/agi_glassline.doc

*SPECIAL NOTE- In the past, we have accepted deposits to reserve your space. Due to numerous problems we have encountered year after year, full payment is required to obtain a ticket, and we will be accepting payments as of January 1st, 2006. Between prior reservations and new applicants, we estimate that AGI is currently 50% full, and tickets are available on a first come / first served basis.
Old 2005-12-13, 8:15pm
Wild at Heart!

Sounds like an amazing time. I would absolutely LOVE to come someday, but first I must get better (yes, I read the statement about skill ) and DH must get a job so we have the extra CASH!!!

I bet I watched Bill at Disneyland......
Kristi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

??
Old 2005-12-14, 5:20pm
boro color bender

I am so stoked! If you come, you'll meet some of the finest people ever! I wouldn't miss it for the world! Camping and glass for a whole week! Remember, what happens at AGI stays at AGI!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-12-14, 6:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
I am so stoked! If you come, you'll meet some of the finest people ever!
yes... because Red won't be here next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Remember, what happens at AGI stays at AGI!
Brent- does that mean I can't talk about........ Nevermind
Old 2005-12-15, 12:58pm
boro color bender

I wonder who the crazy will be this year. Isn't it a tradition?

I'm mainly talking about next year. I didn't do anything too embarrasing last year. I may get nakid and dip into the bath tub in the woods this time. Clean that thing up though... it had spiders and leaves in it!

Is the talking deer head still working ok? That thing was hilarious!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-12-15, 2:34pm

Default Agi

The talking deer head is working fine, and he's even funnier when Pete tells his stories through it with the Gilbert Godfreid voice- OH MY GOD! SO BIGLES GETS DRUNK AT THIS PARTY, AND....

As far as crazies are concerned, I learned a lesson: This year the invitation package will come with a statement such as: If you're disruptive or disorderly, you will be asked to leave, blah blah blah (I'll figure out the rest later).

On second thought, we can just feed them to Dwaine

Old 2005-12-17, 9:30am
Fire Borne

I have been thinking about this! Brent told me what an awesome time he had. And I loved seeing pics of what you all did. Well, not everything you did!

I love the attitude!

pat
Old 2005-12-18, 4:07pm
just another boro kid

i went for the first time this year, and i had a blast.. so much that i just talked to tom and will be lecturing/ demoing about electroforming, reading facet diagrams, faceting, and hopefully using photoshop for print and web...i think henry and i will also be doing some kind of color lecture/demo..
seriously it was a blast and there were a lot of good people there. im going to have to add it to the yearly calendar..hopefully it wont rain next year and thank you tom and elaine!!! already excited for next year..
andrew
Old 2005-12-19, 4:26am
boro color bender

Dwaine will eat anything... he likes his crazies deep fried, so we'll have to bust out the turkey fryer again. Is Kevin coming??? He can inject the crazy with flavor sauce and make it awesome.

Andrew Le Brownstain is coming again!!! That's the best news I've heard all week. (Just don't sneak into my tent and try to cuddle again dude. It was a little weird between us after that. ) Are you bringing a facetron??? Cold working minds want to know. I'm so excited I almost can't stand it. This is like an adult glass blowers Christmas. Remember when you'd get excited about Christmas way early as a kid... well, it's like that for me again now.

You guys are the best for putting this event together!!!

Old 2005-12-19, 8:01am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew brown
...and hopefully using photoshop for print and web
Well, I can't be of much help on the glass side, but if you need help with that stuff, let me know. That's what I have been doing for a living for the past 15 years. I taught a couple classes on it at the local community college a few years back.

Old 2006-01-07, 7:00pm

Default Agi Update

Hi Everyone.

Here's a new thing we're adding to the show:

Barry Lafler will be making a manifold for us so we can do plasma sculptures!!!! The system will be on a rolling cart so we can wheel it around between work stations, and Barry will be on hand to show people how to use it. HOW FRIGGIN COOL IS THAT?!!!

For more information on Plasma sculptures, check out the latest edition of The Flow Magazine

Old 2006-02-16, 12:18pm

I just signed up!! Happy Birthday to me!

Old 2006-04-10, 6:52pm

Well Buyer Beware!!
I just cancelled as I can only get one week off from work this summer and not the 2 that I thought I could get and guess what?? There's a $100 fee if you cancel that they don't particularly kill themselves to tell you about. It's not in this post anywhere (as of right now) nor was it on the website!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-04-10, 7:34pm

Default ....

Paula, As I told you in my e-mail, we make no secrets about refunds. Your receipt has your name and address, how much you paid, and by what method (check, credit card, paypal, etc.).

The only other thing on the receipt (after the closing) is the refund policy. It also states that you have 14 days to receive a full refund. After that, $100.00is non refundable.

We pay our AGI expenses and sign contracts up to 6 months prior to the event to ensure everything is taken care of way in advance, which is why we structured the refund policy the way we did. Please do not accuse me of being unethical.

I'm sorry if you chose to overlook that part of the invoice... it has been our policy for the past 3 years.

Old 2006-04-10, 7:45pm

Refund policies should be stated up front and clearly. Not after the person has paid! Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-04-10, 7:57pm
boro color bender

Tom is one of the nicest people I've ever met. AGI is an event of passion, not profit. They put work into it ALL year long to make it happen. I would consider any part not refunded a donation to a very worthy cause. If there were no safe guards against cancelations on an event this large, it would be in jeopardy. I am so sorry you can't come Paula... but please, be careful what events and people you cast doubt on. Tom's heart is in this event for the right reasons. He has every right to protect himself financially. Sometimes we don't pay attention to refund policy until we want a refund. They have never kept the policy secret. It's an event worthy of all our support. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Old 2006-04-10, 8:03pm

Hi Smiley!!
I'm not questioning how nice he is!
But show me where the refund policy is stated on the website or the ads here?
To tell me that this policy has been in effect for 3 years doesn't mean anything! I've never gone so how would I know??
If it got past me so easily it wil easily get past others.
People have a right to know before they send in their money.
Had I seen it I would have waited.
And does everyone scrutinize their receipt? I don't think so. And this is the first time you will encounter it after signing up.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-04-10, 8:12pm
boro color bender

I understand you being upset Paula. I'm just questioning your spiteful smear campaign. You could have pointed it out nicer if you were just trying to be "helpful"... remember the 24 hour rule. This makes you look bad, not AGI.

Old 2006-04-10, 8:16pm

Everthing I've posted is truthful. And it's more to help other people from making the same mistake that I did.
I know you are all buddies Smiley so of course you don't like my post..
At least I'm not afraid to post the truth.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-04-10, 8:28pm
boro color bender

Tom and I met at AGI last year and I'm proud to call him a friend... and I'm also willing to attend AGI every year they will have me... it's that good. I won't miss it. All of those feelings aside, your post was mean spirited and I think the 24 hour rule would have served you well... but hey, I post some questionable stuff. No biggie. I don't think AGI looks bad here. You had time to cancel without a fee. That was printed right on your receipt. Sorry you didn't look at it. If you missed it there, I wonder where else you may have skipped over it. Like I said, we normally ignore refund policy, until we want a refund.

Old 2006-04-10, 8:30pm

Smiley Good for you...
You are repeating yourself. But I am glad you have a friend!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-04-10, 10:07pm

I usually wouldn't post, but...... I just went to your website, and I had to look around a little bit to find you cancellation policy too! If someone was really excited about a class and just clicked "buy now"-it goes straight to paypal. No information on refunds, etc. I had to click on terms and conditions to find that information.....

Since we are all being helpful here, it might be a good idea to have refund policy where the customer has to agree to it before purchasing.

Or is that the buyer's responsibility to be informed on refund policy?
Old 2006-04-10, 10:20pm

Well that's where it IS on most studio websites--under Terms and Conditions!
And that page gets a lot of hits so people are reading it!
Should I have put it under directions?
It's also in huge bold letters on the beginner class website! And in the Paypal Message if you buy via Paypal which most people do!
It's no where on the AGI website at all...And since I paid with Paypal I never got the receipt that everyone is talking about...
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-04-11, 8:53am

Default ...

The refund policy is not listed on the web site.... I guess the reason is because this is the first time anybody has ever complained about it, so it was never an issue (until last night).

If anybody would like to continue to beat me up over this, feel free to take your shots.

Brent- Thank you so much for your support... I truly appreciate it.

Old 2006-04-11, 9:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD
Well that's where it IS on most studio websites--under Terms and Conditions!
And that page gets a lot of hits so people are reading it!
Should I have put it under directions?
It's also in huge bold letters on the beginner class website! And in the Paypal Message if you buy via Paypal which most people do!
It's no where on the AGI website at all...And since I paid with Paypal I never got the receipt that everyone is talking about...
Paula

I did go to through the steps to pay and got taken to the paypal page. There is no refund information on my paypal slip "before" you commit?? Does the refund information only appear on the paypal slip "after" I have paid???
Old 2006-04-11, 10:05am

It's supposed to come up before you pay. It did when I tested it! Maybe there is a paypal glitch. I'll check tonight.
But at least the refund policy is on the website right at the Workshops page which is where it should be...
And tonight I will be adding it to even more places..btw, running classes with just 5 or 6 people is much different than running a very big get together. If one person cancels in a 5 person class it really does make a difference!
And I have given full refunds under certain circumstances. (Or let the person jump into another class if possible).
Here is an example of the ISGB's fees for refunds.(Page 18 of the Gathering Booklet). And this is for a bigger but similar event where they have rented a hotel, hired people, etc, and it takes place a month before the AIG does:
Feb 15 to June 15 $25.00, June 15-June 30 $50.00, After June 30 No refunds.
Now that is reasonable...

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-04-11, 10:25am
Administrator

ok, I think that is enough about the refund policy on everyone's part. Back to info on the actual event.

Old 2006-04-12, 3:40pm

Default Thank You...

Corri, thank you very much for your post... I really appreciate it

Here is the latest update for AGI-

- Marcel Braun and Devron Musgrave have recently signed on to demonstrate their talents for this year's event. I'm not sure what Marcel will be doing, but knowing him, I'm sure it will be BIG.

- Devron will be demonstrating her dichroic bracelets and rings, and whatever else she would like to share with the crowd.

- I will do a presentation on using your talents to find new markets, and it will also include a segment about selling your work on eBay, primarily focused on glass art.

If anybody has any questions you can contact myself or my wife Elaine at info@glass123.com, or (724) 791-2100.

Thanks to everyone for your support and your positive e-mails

Sincerely,
Tom Doner

Old 2006-04-12, 4:10pm

I'm very much looking forward to this event. It will be a real thinking out of my glass box time. That is so good is so many ways!

Old 2006-04-13, 12:00pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarakay
I'm very much looking forward to this event. It will be a real thinking out of my glass box time. That is so good is so many ways!
I can't wait to meet you.

Tom, it sounds like an amazing line up as usual. I talked to RAM and he said he may be coming... get on the phone with him. The guy had so much fun last year (losing at poker), he wants to come back (and try to win back some pride). He says he's been practicing.