Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-05-07, 9:40am

Default Propane Regulator

I have a friend you recently hooked a Cricket Torch and she went to her local propane shop to get the hoses and propane regulator. When she went there they hooked her up with a (a quote from her email)" I got a Low Flow gas regulator - with the tank knob - the regulator knob and the torch knob - the gas flow should be just fine...It is Char-Broil brand - Hose and Regulator Type They are convinced that she does not need an expensive regulator or T grade hoses. I have never heard of this or can find anything on it. Can someone please help clear this up, i am concerned!!!
Old 2010-05-07, 12:25pm
Gentleman of Leisure

No you don't need a expensive regulator.... IF you can work with same pressure as residential natural gas, you can get a fixed pressure regulator for about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a welding style regulator... Actually any fixed or adjustable regulator that supplies propane at 10 psi or less is probably ok.... Fixed pressure regulators also come in 1 psi and 2 psi and 5 psi....

http://www.protanksupply.com/integra...regulators.asp

IN fact I ran fixed pressure regulator (one pictured below) on a borrowed National 8M with SM 7 tip for a while, until I returned it (torch that is)...

As for "T" grade welding hose, "T" grade only refers to welding hose.... Propane companies usually deal in hoses that are not graded as "T" but will generally have embossed or printed on them some thing similar to "Approved For LPG Services Up To 350 psi".... The "key" phrase here is "LPG".....

Also this has come up before in past on this forum..... You need to use different key words in your searches....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-05-07 at 1:14pm.