No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-11, 12:37pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Default Difference In Ivories

Happy Saturday (on this side of the world, anyway)!

Can you please tell me the working differences between the ivories, effetre dk ivory and lt ivory; vetrofond ivory, and any other 104 coe ivory type beings out there?

is one brand or type more reactionary than others?

is one more stable or does not react than others?

thanks

namaste
Rowyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-11, 1:34pm

Oh Rowyn, I'm very happy you ask this question.
I mixed up my dark effetre an vetrofond dark ivories.
One makes the wonderful silver fuming effects, the other one just turns grey without webbing.

I'd be happy to know witch is the nice one for the next order

Kathrin
Old 2011-06-11, 2:00pm
I'm a lilac!

Every batch is slightly different, so there's no hard and fast rule; generally speaking, though, the dark ivories are more reactive than the light ivories. Some batches of dark ivory web, and others don't.

Old 2011-06-11, 4:39pm
Triumphantly Knit!

thanks Kalera,

I'd love to hear which are people's favourites and why, effetre, cim, vetrofond?

BB

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 2011-06-11, 6:47pm

I think it depends on what you want to do with it! I love Effetre dark ivory for its webbing and reactive qualities. But sometimes I don't want to use it because of its webbing and reactive qualities.

I love love love Fossil, for it's streakiness and reactiveness.

Wait. I love all glass. They are all my favorite.
Old 2011-06-11, 7:19pm
Triumphantly Knit!

haa haa haa ha! me, too.

I don't know what I want to do with it. I'm still in the playing phase.

what is curdled ivory?

namaste

Old 2011-06-11, 7:28pm

Curdled ivory was a particular batch of Effetre dark ivory from a couple of years ago. A lot of people found it to be more reactive and easier to web than regular Effetre dark ivory. I go through pounds of Eff. DI as my style is organic. I find it more reactive than Vetrofond and with cycles of cooling and heating can get the curdled look quite nicely.
Old 2011-06-12, 1:38pm
Artistically Absorbed

There have even been some Ivory odds over the years...Pale Ivory, it looks almost white and Transluscent Ivory. My favorite although not called an Ivory is Sandstone, I like it with silver glass because it doesn't curdle.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2011-06-12, 6:33pm
Triumphantly Knit!

hmmm, thanks....I just used vetrofond ivory, dk and light and I LIKE it. Is crurdling different than webbing? what's the difference?

namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-06-12, 6:50pm

Curdling vs webbing: I think it mostly depends on where you work in the flame. I get a more organic 'curdle' if I let the Dark Ivory cool a bit and then reintroduce to the flame, but don't overheat. With a little flame play I can eliminate alot of the variations, if I want, but I like them! I don't think of curdling and webbing as being much different, just visually textured. Kind of aged...

Effetre DI is very soft, the lighter seems stiffer to work.

Effetre Dark ivory is really bad whenever I use reduction frits, it seems to burn and gets very ugly, but the Light Ivory from Vetro can take it, and is wonderful...if you can get it. I recently bought some from another artist via the mail, but what it actually was, was Extra Light Olive, which I don't know much about. It looks nearly white and yellows to a very dramatic shade when using and reducing Aurae.

Best advice: Because the ivories are so variable, be sure you mark them when they come in!! Hope this helps some!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2011-06-13, 1:16am

There is a very nice czech glass (Ornela) Ivory, which does not react with silver or turquoise like the others, getting no black lines. But it gets lines in itself, like the halos you get in coppergreen when putting RO on it. I love it as a base for frit or multicolor or any silverglass!

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2011-06-13, 6:51am
Triumphantly Knit!

Czech Ivory? Oh nooooo, now I need to get more glass

I like the way that sounds, thanks Verena. what a pretty bead. I'm guessing RO is rubino?

namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-06-13, 7:28am

Sorry Rowyn, yes RO is rubino oro.
Just be sure you get the ivory with the number 8352, there is a dark version also, which does react with copper and silver.

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2011-06-13, 7:31am
Triumphantly Knit!

ok, thanks....

namaste

Old 2011-06-13, 9:29am
Loving learning

Is alabaster ivory similar to the regular ivories? Maybe I'll just melt something, & see what happens.
Old 2011-06-13, 5:29pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Verena, I have one rod of 83522, is that the dark or the light? I don't know the czech #'s yet. I got it in a sampler, I don't even know where to go to buy czech glass, YET, lol.

thank you all, so much again.

Eileen, I don't know what alabaster ivory is....do you mean pastel ivory or the different alabaster whites? I'm still trying to figure those out, too. In fact I see another thread starting, lol

angel blessings
Rowyn

Old 2011-06-13, 5:38pm

I have only used the effetre ivory and as a newbie I can say it is one of the few colors I have not burned! lol
Old 2011-06-13, 5:41pm
Loving learning

It's just marked Alabaster Ivory, I haven't tried to use it yet. I did notice last week that I had a rod of white that seemed a bit less opague than the other ones, so maybe that was alabaster white, I don't know, they weren't marked.
Old 2011-06-13, 8:43pm

Rowyn, this is the light ivory.

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2011-06-14, 8:30am
Everybody Needs Beads!

Vetro Light ivory for me--and now I can't GET it anymore! Grrrr!!!

Beadygirlt. on

Old 2011-06-14, 3:52pm

The Effetre Alabaster ivory is different. It is a translucent and even color (whereas the regular line is striated somewhat). Anyone got a pic?

I'd post a pic but I'm in the middle of packing up all my glass and have finished with the effetre and vetrofond colors.