Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-01-16, 3:18pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Setting up a studio in a garage

And first thing I need to figure out is what to put on the floor. I want to get rid of the ugly oil stained look of course. I am kind of baffled on what to purchase, thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-16, 9:31pm

How about some 12" ceramic or porcelain tile? Its pretty cheap at Lowes or Home Depot.

Or Canadian Tire?
Old 2012-01-16, 9:52pm
Lampworkaholic!

Power wash the floor then paint it maybe?

There are also sealants you can put on or have put on garage floors.

I don't have anything on my garage floor, it is just concrete, but we built the house just 4 years ago so it is fairly pristine.

Of course I took up lampworking after we built it. Otherwise I'd have planned an air conditioned heated studio

Next house. Sigh.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-01-17, 2:02am

I like the wash and paint idea myself. What ever you put down be sure it is flat with no grout indentations or texture as that is a pain to sweep and the glass gets stuck and when you walk barefoot ... I have tile on my balcony and the sweeping is annoying
Old 2012-01-17, 10:21am

If I did ceramic tiles I'd also put heat underneath of them. This is what I'm going to do in our bathroom when we remodel it.

Right now I work out of my garage, but we installed radiant heat under the floor when we built it. I will look for the link to show you what I'm talking about.

Old 2012-01-17, 10:31am
honorary bead lady

Stain it, epoxy/flakes, paint it, polish it or cover it with tile or floating floor.
Old 2012-01-19, 10:40am

Pressure wash, let dry really well and use an epoxy concrete paint. They come in a lot of colors and hold up well.

Dweezil
Old 2012-01-19, 4:42pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I do appreciate the replies. I have been reading but this has been put on hold until I get the homestead in order. Then I will work on the garage. So what will happen to epoxy concrete paint when hot glass hits it?

Old 2012-01-19, 5:15pm

Im with the wash and concrete paint. I have used concrete paint before and its nice because it also seals it. I have even put color in the paint but of course it depends on the type of paint you get.

LynieG
Old 2012-01-19, 6:27pm
Wonder-wench

I actually kind of like the "stained, industrial" look we've got going in our garage, one less thing to worry about. If hot glass hits it, no problem. Clean up, easy peasy with a shop vac or broom.

Old 2012-01-20, 9:40am

can I add (?) as a need before you decide what you want to do on the floor - paint, stain or tile to get some oil dry or kitty liter and put down on all of the oil spots to get those cleaned up 1st.

depending on how bad the spots are - you might want to start working on them now.
Old 2012-01-20, 10:22am
Jacqueline Parkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorisue View Post
can I add (?) as a need before you decide what you want to do on the floor - paint, stain or tile to get some oil dry or kitty liter and put down on all of the oil spots to get those cleaned up 1st.

depending on how bad the spots are - you might want to start working on them now.
Great tip, thank you!

Old 2012-01-20, 10:40am

I use concrete backer board - just laid it down on the floor. I have wood floors in my studio, so I just wanted something that would protect them. Easy to install: haul into space, drop into place.