Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-07-22, 8:22am
My lab pups - Mojo & Babe

Default In desparate need of stringer tutorial!

Anyone ever seen one that helped them? Can't quite get the hang of using stringers just yet but really like the look of them on beads. Suggestions?

Stringer-Challenged,

Patti
Old 2009-07-22, 8:31am
I fart diamonds

PPP. A tutorial can't teach stringer control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-22, 8:49am
Superkitty

This may be helpful. It does still take a lot of PPP, though.

http://smartflix.com/store/video/307...ringer-Control
Old 2009-07-22, 8:50am
Superkitty

Holy moly, when did it become $9.99 to rent from Smartflix?
Old 2009-07-22, 8:54am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Holy moly, when did it become $9.99 to rent from Smartflix?
I've only known of them for 3 years and it's been $9.99. (And I have that video. Lol. My stringer still sucks because I don't PPP!)

Old 2009-07-22, 9:22am

Rats - I was afraid of that answer!!! ;o) Was hoping for a magic trick that would make me a master of my stringer domain!
Old 2009-07-22, 10:04am
Your Royal Fritness

Patti the best advice I can give you is turn down the heat. You will be surprised how fast you can master it with the heat turned down

Old 2009-07-22, 10:16am

Corina's dvd is excellant ! Plus practice of course.

Old 2009-07-22, 10:30am
Did someone say SALE?

How about that "Corina Jones" Art of Stringer Control or some such name? I picked up some helpful techniques from that. It helps to actually see someone doing it, I think.
Old 2009-07-22, 10:37am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassyEyedGirl View Post
How about that "Corina Jones" Art of Stringer Control or some such name? I picked up some helpful techniques from that. It helps to actually see someone doing it, I think.
That's the one we're talking about.

Old 2009-07-22, 10:48am

Thanks Dawn, will certainly give that a try.
Old 2009-07-22, 11:05am
Did someone say SALE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
That's the one we're talking about.
Oh! Can you tell I did not click on the link? Sorry!
Old 2009-07-22, 11:56am
Formerly Sassygirl

Yep like Shawnette said it is PPP. I have Corinas dvd and I still suck at stringers. I am getting better because I force myself to practice every time but it comes natural to some and more difficult for others.

Old 2009-07-22, 1:40pm

Smile Stringers

Hi Deb-

You could try pulling some encased stringers- a solid pastel color encased in a transparent, it makes the stringer less "floppy", and you still get the look of a solid colored raised stringer. You can also practice with a transparent stringer, it helps with the control issue.

You do get better the more you do it, it is just getting a feel for the consistency of the glass- too stiff to make a nice spiral vs. too soupy to get a nice curve to the scrolls.

Hope this helps! Laura

Old 2009-07-22, 6:54pm

Someone suggested to me to pull stringer the same colour as your base bead and then start practicing stringer control.

You could start practicing with parallel lines all around the bead, melt them in; practice swirls, melt them in; practice cross-hatching, melt them in, etc., etc. I'm sure you've got heaps of ideas

It's a practice bead so there's no 'beautiful bead' requirement & you don't have to keep making more and more base beads to practice on.

Yes, you'll end up with a honking single colour bead

It does help and it's not tooooo boring.

Have fun!
Marianne.
Old 2009-07-29, 7:32am

That's a great idea Marianne. Thanks!

|
|

Old 2009-07-29, 1:36pm
Glassy Broad :-)

The best advice besides that dreaded PPP is not only turn down your heat, but work to the side of your flame. A stringer melts faster than fast, so you only want the radiant heat from the torch. Clear stringers over solid color base beads also work! Have fun!!! (this from a noob who is still working on stringer control, LOL!!!)
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2009-08-01, 8:05pm

I carry Corina's "Stringer Control" DVD. I like it. It's helped some but I still need lots of practice which I can't ever seem to do

Old 2009-08-03, 11:11am
Yup.

Different stingers and different applications and different torches and such require different flames and different locations inside and next to the flame. That's why practice seems to be the only practical way to learn stringer. Lots of practice on a specific technique over and over and over again... That's my stringer education theory. What I mean to say is that learning stringer is really simple, it just takes some time and attention.

~
~

Last edited by JCHerrellGlass; 2009-08-03 at 11:15am.
Old 2009-08-03, 11:16am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Corrina's DVD.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-08-05, 2:08pm

If you just want to practice stringer control and not waste any glass.... follow all the above and then pull a stringer from a rod... any rod and then use that stringer (once it cools) to practice on the rod that you just pulled the stringer from. Melt in, pull stringer and repeat.... This helped me to use the side of the flame and move the bead (rod) instead of the stringer. Keep the stringer in the just melty part of the flame.
And don't use white or ivory as they are way too soupy. Transparents usually are a bit stiffer.

Keep at it.... it does get easier!

Old 2009-08-05, 2:19pm

I'll definitely try this Leslie, thanks for the tip.

|
|

Old 2009-08-05, 5:45pm
Living Life Creatively

I can vouch for Corinna's DVD too! You might want to check out your local library and see if they have it? Mine did and that's where I first found it.
-
-
-
Old 2009-08-05, 6:13pm

You are very welcome. I hate to waste glass

Old 2009-08-06, 1:15pm
burnin' glass just becuz

yup corina's dvd is excellent. i watched it over and over again until i could do what she explained. still took three years for me to develop decent stringer tho...LOL

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-08-06, 1:35pm

Too late - I've already bought myself a copy! ;o)

|
|

Old 2009-08-08, 7:27pm

I never thought of ppp-ing by what Leslie said. "...pull stringers from a rod...decorate that same rod with stringer. Melt in and repeat."

I can pull great stringers!! (I'm 6'2 with long arms. on a good day I can almost pull my stringers to full arm's length)

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2009-08-09, 4:12am

Duane, glad you like my idea....and how are you doing at twisties???