LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-05-11, 6:43am
one day at a time

Default Tutorial: Yes, you can save your rusty-holed beads!

I was surprised to find out some years ago that many beadmakers thought their beads with the rust stains in and around the holes were fit for the garbage can. I just remembered this by looking at other threads today, so I want to make people aware that they can save those beads! So here goes:

Okay, we all know that mandrels are stainless steel, right? But they DO rust! After a while the use of them breaks down the steel to a point where rust can form on them, but don't throw them away unless they are bent, of course! You can still use them until they are total trash.

Sometimes we forget and leave our beads soaking on the mandrels too long and they get rusty stains in and around the holes. Cleaning with a bead hole brush or Dremel with diamond coated bit gets rid of the rust inside the holes, but not always the rust surrounding these holes. Sometimes there is rust on the surface of a bead that was laying on another mandrel in the soak. Don't we hate that when it happens?

What you can do to get rid of the rust is very simple:

1) Toilet bowl cleaner: it's safe to use on glass for soaking off the rust, and will also get rid of unwanted reduction, so if this isn't what you want, then don't use this! Turquoises and copper green get scum on them that's greyish brown, and it will get rid of that, easy! I use the Snobol brand, but others of the blue liquid kind work well I'm sure.

2) The solution: 2 parts toilet bowl cleaner to 1 part water. I store it in an empty instant coffee jar that has a plastic lid. I make up a jar that has about 6oz. Enough to soak a LOT of beads in it. I change it out every six months or so. Of course, it's reusable many times over that period.

3) Let beads soak 30 minutes or so, and up to 1 hour for stubborn stains or scummy residue. A few times during the soak, pick up the jar, make sure the lid is on tight, and swirl the beads around a bit. If you forget, it won't destroy your beads. I left mine in overnight one time, and there was no marring of the surface at all.

4) To drain them off, I use a plastic colander to pour the jar of liquid and the beads into, and below that in the sink is a glass bowl to catch the liquid. I pour the liquid back into my coffee jar. Use gloves and eye protection! Of course, all the colanders and bowls you use must be designated for this purpose only.

5) Rinse them over and over with clear water while in the colander. Then add some dish soap and swirl around to get the soap sudsy on them. Rinse again several times.

6) Any beads that still have rust around the holes, you can "erase" it. Yep, erase it! I use a pencil eraser to rub off any remaining rust. Or you can use damp baking soda "paste" on the end of a Q-tip to rub out rust that goes deeper in the hole and you can't get to it with the eraser. If you have to, you can gently pick at the rust with a small file if it's in the hole. The soak in the cleaner loosens it up pretty well.

So, if you didn't know this before, now you do and you can say goodbye to rusty bead holes! (and stop throwing those beads away...you did that didn't you??)

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-05-11 at 6:56am.
Old 2010-05-11, 4:05pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Thanks Lisi for these tips! I've had the rust problem from time to time, and now I know how to take care of it!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-11, 6:54pm
Bead Imp

Thanks Lisi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-05-20, 1:35pm
Looking for Spock's Brain

I use fine sandpaper to clean mandrels (mandrels must be wet, but not in water) which get rust on them. Takes it right off and the mandrel is shiny new again.

Bent mandrels, however, if 12", can be cut to 9" with a dremel, depending on where the bend is. Too far down and they're only good for garden stakes.

Joyce

Old 2010-05-20, 6:06pm

My husband swears there is always a use, even for the bent ones so we have lots of rods laying around. 'Course this is a man that makes his own Shamisens! If we ran out of Duct tape, I bet he could figure out how to make his own!!!!!

Thanks for the tip though, the coca-cola trick only goes so far!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com