LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-10-15, 9:31am
Molten Glass Addict

I was chatting with DH trying to figure out what do use to hold my key and looked over to my woodworking table and there was a little aluminum brush I had bought to use for woodglue and flux sitting with the opened end staring me right in the face. I dunked my key in bead release and stuck it in the opened end of the brush, and voila!! It worked! I bought that brush at Menards right by the wood glue, it came in a pack of about 8 of different sizes. I used a small one. but once the bead release dried it held on perfectly. I'll post pics later, I'm at work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me in my younger days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2007-10-15, 10:47am
giggety-giggety

might have missed this, but we should be looking for copper and stainless right?......and all glass works? boro, CIM, 104, Gaffer, Bullseye? Can't wait to try! Thanks for the thread!

My etsy:

Old 2007-10-15, 12:26pm
Entropy increasing....

There are no stainless or copper keys. Keys are made of iron and steel.

Some keys are made of lead, those won't work they melt immediately. I have yet to see a copper antique key and they did not have stainless steel when they made keys like that.
Old 2007-10-15, 2:58pm

I have some steel keys, some iron keys and some what appears to be brass keys. ONE which appeared to be brass, and was sold as brass, completely melted/ashed in the flame, I am assuming it was painted or plated lead). The seller mailed me a new steel key to replace it (Nice of him), which worked great. I buy ohly keys advertised as steel, brass or iron, and I test each one as soon as I get it by holding it in the flame for a while.

If I buy them online I also let the seller know what I'll be doing with them!
Hugs
Lynnie

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-10-15, 4:16pm
Molten Glass Addict

Default My bead keys

Here are the three key beads I made. Key beads? Bead keys? oh gosh!!

This is my first one. The bead release came loose while I was twisting. But it turned out nice.

This brown reacted with the metals and became really dark. But it's awesome in person.

This one is made with light turquoise, it reacted with the metal too around the key, and the glass became black. It looks pretty cool.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2007-10-15, 6:58pm
Chrissy

I just bought 18 keys on ebay and can't wait to try them out.

Old 2007-10-19, 9:52pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
I just bought 18 keys on ebay and can't wait to try them out.
so that's who outbid me, huh?

LOL......

JK, can't wait to see what you do with them!

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2007-10-20, 10:13am
Jan and Quincy

Whew, I am SO glad I bought a sh*t load of keys at a good price before all the bidding wars started! I guess those days are over! The old rule "supply and demand!" LOL!

Lives with professional Hunny Berder.
Old 2007-10-20, 11:24am
Molten Glass Addict

I have a friend at work who has a ton of keys. She's going to bring them in for me to take a look at. I told her I'd see if anyone wants any. I'll see what she's asking for them and let you guys know when I get them.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2007-10-20, 11:42am

I can't wait Jamie! Thanks for sharing this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasstastic Treasures View Post
I have a friend at work who has a ton of keys. She's going to bring them in for me to take a look at. I told her I'd see if anyone wants any. I'll see what she's asking for them and let you guys know when I get them.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-10-20, 3:59pm

I need to get some keys! Any tips on where to look? I mean besides ebay.
Old 2007-10-20, 5:50pm
Molten Glass Addict

Antique shops. But they're going to cost more there. Estate sales might have some.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2007-10-20, 6:33pm
Spoiled

I bought a bunch at a flea market. They were a dollar or less.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2007-10-20, 6:35pm
Molten Glass Addict

Ooo, flea markets would be a perfect place!!!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2007-10-20, 6:43pm
Mama said

Quote:
I was chatting with DH trying to figure out what do use to hold my key and looked over to my woodworking table and there was a little aluminum brush I had bought to use for woodglue and flux sitting with the opened end staring me right in the face. I dunked my key in bead release and stuck it in the opened end of the brush, and voila!! It worked! I bought that brush at Menards right by the wood glue, it came in a pack of about 8 of different sizes. I used a small one. but once the bead release dried it held on perfectly. I'll post pics later, I'm at work.
I am going to try this! You guys are doing such a great job. I still have the key on my dresser and haven't tried it out yet. I'm determined to try tomorrow. Thanks for all the great ideas and great pictures!

~Michelle
Old 2007-10-20, 7:04pm

I hope I can find a good flea market in my area...
Old 2007-10-20, 7:11pm
Recovering Enabler

Will brass work?

Old 2007-10-22, 11:19pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

No. Tried it. Results were conculsive and I was lucky not to get hurt.
Old 2007-10-23, 12:01am

Please be sure to ALWAYS use bead release when making beads on keys!
I started making those about 2 and a half years ago. All that were made without bead release broke eventually; mostly about more than one year after making them and they were all kilnannealed!!!
I guess it is because the expansion of the metal is different from the expansion of glass when heated and cooled.
The inconveneient of the bead keys with bead release is that they don't stay in place and slide up and down the bead.
I tried to use some silicon joint to fix the beads on the key, but that is a real mess!

Old 2007-10-23, 12:53am
Entropy increasing....

I have been to a couple of antique stores that had boxes full of them.
Old 2007-10-23, 3:33am

What happened with the brass keys Robin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
No. Tried it. Results were conculsive and I was lucky not to get hurt.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-10-23, 5:56pm
glass nerd!

Stupid question again but what do you do with them when your done? Are they just decoration? I think the beautiful but I don't get the whole concept. Can somebody clue me in.

Old 2007-10-23, 5:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Stupid question again but what do you do with them when your done? Are they just decoration? I think the beautiful but I don't get the whole concept. Can somebody clue me in.
Maybe put it on a key ring? hehe, I would wear it on a necklace, or hang it from a bookmark, or a rear view mirror charm.
Old 2007-10-23, 6:49pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retta View Post
Maybe put it on a key ring? hehe, I would wear it on a necklace, or hang it from a bookmark, or a rear view mirror charm.
I just made a few of these (my bead buddy Susan is an ebay wizard and
shared some of her score with me). When I showed them to a friend of mine
she about had a cow. She wants to use them as fan pulls (you know, the thing
that dangles at the end of a fan cord?). She has some fancy shmancy lamps
that she bought that have chains too, and she wants me to design a bead to
match the sofa for these.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-10-23, 9:56pm
glass nerd!

Wow I like the way you guys think! Great ideas!

Old 2007-10-24, 1:14pm
Molten Glass Addict

fan pulls, what an awesome Idea!!!!!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2007-10-24, 1:19pm

Quote:
fan pulls, what an awesome Idea!!!!!
Ditto that, too bad none of my ceiling fans work.
Old 2007-10-24, 1:26pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Default What to do with them...

I used to make these several years ago and did several for one customer who wanted them for antique bureaus/desks in her home. We put tassels on the end and she stuck them in the locksets as a decorative accent...really cute!

Lea
Old 2007-10-24, 6:12pm
Mama said

Christmas tree ornaments.

~Michelle
Old 2007-10-24, 6:22pm

They would go nicely with one of these... http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7489074