Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-05-03, 9:04am
Does my glass look 2 big?

Question Best bead release for hot and steamy weather?

I am in the process of starting up my lampwork station again...3rd time! Last time I torched was 3 years ago, life just got in the way. Anywhoo, needless to say, my supply of bead release is all dried up and guessing it's useless. I know there are many threads out there regarding bead release but they all seem rather old.

Is the any news on bead release? Can anyone recommend a good one for our hot and steamy weather soon to arrive here in San Antonio.

I am on a Scorpion if that makes any difference!

Will have more questions to come since I can't remember half of what I knew so well three years ago!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-05-03, 9:41am
Phill

I have revived dried out bead release by just adding distilled or RO filtered water just make sure it is not softened water because the salt will kill the mixture.

I don't ever remember anyone mentioning different bead release for high or low humidity or hotter or cooler temps.

Just make sure you remix it well once you get it rehydrated.
I leave my bottle of bead release standing on it cap when I leave it a lone for long periods of time. This keeps the cap seal wet and it prevents it from drying out for a very long time.

I would suggest not dipping too many mandrels too far ahead of time because humidity loves to get things growing on what ever sponge it can find but even then as long as you flame dry each mandrel well before adding your hot glass humidity should not be any problem.

ETA: AS to recommendations I would go with Foster Fire Smooth and Tuff. I think it's made in Houston.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-05-03 at 9:43am.
Old 2015-05-03, 10:10am

Thank you very much! I'll give my old bead release a try. Also thanks for the brand suggestion.

Old 2015-05-03, 10:13am

I use Fusion for just about everything. The only time it (partially) failed was when I had dipped a bunch of brand new mandrels and it rained for 5 days straight. I say partially, because when I took the time to heat up the whole bead released part of the mandrel, getting all the moisture out, they were fine.

Old 2015-05-03, 1:06pm

I use FosterFire, had no single case of beadrelease breaking before the soaking in water (my kindest regards to Robin Foster, she made my life easier ). Tried both air dry and flame dry - both ways work fine. Even took a not yet air dried mandrel and finished drying in the flame (well, on the very tip and I have HH) - no difference. I'm a foolish beginner with almost no heat control skills, but this stuff seems to be very forgiving.
Old 2015-05-03, 3:43pm

I'm in Austin and Fusion is what I use. I've tried others but always come back to Fusion. Try adding distilled water to reconstitute your old dried up release. I've added alittle let it set like all day, shake add more until you get it where ya like it . It works, I find after sitting thru the cold winter mine gets way thick, or completely dried out too.

So happy to see you are back can't wait to see your goodies!!
Old 2015-05-03, 4:15pm

Thank you for the tips and the warm welcome back! I hope I get to play very soon and post my beadies soon

Old 2015-05-03, 6:10pm

Good luck you'll do great again real soon. I took 1 1/2 yrs off and after finally settling in and focused it's been terrific! The 1st week I wanted to try EVERYTHING NOW, and use all the new tools and stuff lol. Just because I wasn't at the torch it didn't stop my buying

I'm excited for you!
Old 2015-05-03, 6:43pm
hyperT

Move? I'm in San Antonio too. The mosquitos here carry you off so the bigger ones cant take you away from them. I have had good luck with that sludge stuff short of making my own.

Have fun.
Old 2015-05-03, 9:40pm
Phill

OH and add a few wonky beads to the bottle to give you a little stirring action while you shake it back to life.
Old 2015-05-05, 5:37pm

Thank you all! Just ran into a problem with my original ventilation set up. Going to have to add an extra elbow....me no like! But I don't have a choice. I WANNA TORCH!!

No, I've been living in SA since 2000; just had to move three times...life, ya'know

Old 2015-05-05, 7:25pm

Omigosh. I have always added tap water and it is softened. Never had a problem! Been doing it for 7+ years that way. Seems to be working just fine so far. ???

and also ......

Last edited by cheeky monkey; 2015-05-05 at 7:27pm.
Old 2015-05-20, 4:25am

I decided to revive my three half full 3+ year-old Frantz, hard as rock, bead release. I poked it, pounded it, and shook it to death while still dry to break up the clumps and them added bottled water, mixed and mixed and mixed. Worked like a charm! Took some serious elbow grease though. Made a couple of test beads, just cooled in a blanket, and they came off the mandrel relatively easy (as usual). Thank you for suggesting I give my old release a go!