No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-24, 9:04am
Disconnected

Default My double DUH!!! of the week end

First, I was excited to find a cheap graphite mini Stump shaper at the Gathering... I should have remembered NEVER to buy cheap in any case, which is usually a good rule for myself (if I can't afford it, then I don't need it!).
So, of course, the tool has an aluminum handle. Do you think I would have considered that carefully? Ouch. Can't use it for more than 2 minutes and takes ages to cool down.

Second, I have a "Color Library", which is basically a box of spacers made with each and every color in my stock. They all have tags with name and reference #. When I need inspiration for color combos, I dump the whole box on the table and let the beads get together as they please.
Except, with all this new glass from the Gathering, the paper tags are obtrusive and not working anymore. So I decide I'm going to write directly on the beads, with a sharpie.
After I wrote millions of tiny characters on dozens of beads AND removed the tags, as I handle them back into the box, I notice the #s are partially erased. HA HA HA. Proceed to start over with white paint pen.

I will certainly keep you posted about my other brilliant tricks and genious ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-24, 9:19am
Disconnected

Yes Kim, I will do that!
Did I tell you how cool it was to meet you at the Gathering (and slouch with you guys in that sofa at the bar)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-24, 10:52am
Master Procrastinator

Sounds like something I would do.

For the beads, I notice that a lot of people put a dot of white out & then write the price of the bead directly on that. You might try the same for what you're doing. Actually, I'm pretty impressed that you've gone to the bother of making spacers with all your color rods. Sounds like a good plan!

Old 2008-08-24, 8:57pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

Thank you for sharing that tip with the spacers, I am going to do just that! I forever sit and look at my rods and try to figure out combinations, I love your idea! Not only does it help with the color combos but its a good way to help with reordering too.

Jenny

Old 2008-08-25, 7:45am
Disconnected

You're welcome Jenny. It takes a little patience but it's worth it! The white paint pen seems to be working; i rubbed hard on some of the beads i did yesterday and the numbers are sticking!

Old 2008-08-25, 7:50am
Borovangelist

A little rubbing alcohol will take sharpie off of glass

|
|
Old 2008-08-25, 7:57am

For the handle of your stump shaper, there is a rubbery stuff you can use to coat the handle of tools - comes in colors and available at your local hardware store. Works great so far.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-08-25, 8:07am
Smooches!

Or get some rubber tubing/hose from the hardware store & slide it over the handle.

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-08-26, 10:08am
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
For the handle of your stump shaper, there is a rubbery stuff you can use to coat the handle of tools - comes in colors and available at your local hardware store. Works great so far.
Hi Pam,
Does it keep solid even if it gets warm from the head of the shaper?

Old 2008-08-26, 10:23am
geekitude on two wheels

For handles I haven't liked, I use leather glued on with high temp silicone gasket sealer; nice and grippy and doesn't heat up.
Old 2008-08-26, 10:29am
Karen James

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelsbyJenny View Post
Thank you for sharing that tip with the spacers, I am going to do just that! I forever sit and look at my rods and try to figure out combinations, I love your idea! Not only does it help with the color combos but its a good way to help with reordering too.
I had the same thought when I read this. Thank you!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG