Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-09, 12:15pm

Yeah, this.^^^ lol
I've been using new orange striker and old. New as in about 3 months ago and old as in 6 or 7 years ago. No difference. *shrug*
I find all the variables fascinating really but they sure can give you a headache huh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-09, 6:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
First of all...I love this glass. But I wonder if someone could do me a favor. Make some multi-dark beads and encase them with this glass. I have three that have cracked. One right down the middle, which may be my fault but another that craze cracked.

Now, I did use a tiny bit of silvered clear glass, which I've done before with other beads encased with other clear. I still have six plain multi-dark encase that haven't cracked. I'm watching them like a hawk.
Ok, I did this today. No cracks so far but I'll be watching them. I also did encased rubino and no cracks on them either. It's weird but I was hoping that I did get cracks to help pinpoint.....something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-09, 10:08pm
needs creative tagline

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I have not read through this whole thread but I have a question about the clear. Has anyone made a completely clear ball with this glass? I find that when any clear is used over a pattern or color, it's hard to tell exactly how clear it is. I would love to see a clear ball or small marble. That's when you really see if clear is truly clear. Wish I had some to try this with.

ok, made a clear marble of it tonight. Will post when I get home tomorrow night (might be late, in which case it will be sat morning before I post it). Any particular backgrounds you would like to see it in front of? I figured plain white and black to begin with but could try other things if you think they might show you something interesting.

laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2011-06-10, 12:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Someone do me a favor and try it with Juno, that glass doesn't get along with any other glass that I've found, even itself for the most part.
Jan, if you have some you want to swap out for a newer batch let me know. Recent batches of Juno and Clarity 4 have been very friendly.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-06-10, 6:13am
Live and Let Live

This is as close as I came to making a 'clear' bead with ZE-452. I applied some murrini to the outside of a big clear bead and here I've tried to photograph in between the murrini to show the clarity. Hard bead to get in focus!

Old 2011-06-10, 4:13pm

I encased this bead with the Zephyr, it's a double helix Kronos bead.
I was pretty happy with how bright the blue came out.
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-10, 4:36pm

Thank you so much Laura. I can't wait to see. Thanks for doing that

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha200 View Post
ok, made a clear marble of it tonight. Will post when I get home tomorrow night (might be late, in which case it will be sat morning before I post it). Any particular backgrounds you would like to see it in front of? I figured plain white and black to begin with but could try other things if you think they might show you something interesting.

laura

Old 2011-06-10, 5:10pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I love this glass! I think the only thing I would change is to make it a bit less stiff. Other than that it's the best clear I've ever worked with.
Old 2011-06-10, 6:00pm

Sislonski...what a beautiful bead!
"

Old 2011-06-11, 1:51pm
needs creative tagline

Reminder - I have batch 5.11.11-1.
You can see the problems I'm having with tiny bubbles forming.
I must say this was a bit tricky to form up cause its so soft!
No cut ends were used in this marble. No tools touched the glass other than my infinite rim graphite marble mold. Rods were wiped down with alcohol before starting to make sure they were clean.

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2011-06-11, 1:55pm
needs creative tagline

I have not had any compatibility problems with my batch. After reading some of the recent posts of people having problems, I made these 2 Thurs night. Neither has cracks yet, though I haven't had a chance to clean them. The round one is cim cranberry pink with zephyr encasing. The other is cim clockwork with clio encasement as described in Miriam's tutorial (not sure but i think the scrolls might be helios). I can't recall whether I used zephyr or eff super clear for the core on each, but the other clear layers are zephyr.

laura

Facebook -

Old 2011-06-11, 3:13pm

Hey Yamaha,

Looks like I had the same batch as you did. I know what you are talking about when you said it was sooooo soft!! I had trouble with the stuff slumping and gooing all over the place. I thought maybe it was because I don't really use Aether, and was not use to a really soft clear.

Update on my bead making. I stopped using Zephyr two day ago. I have torched twice and have not had one cracked bead since. Of course I am also staying away from the tuxedo too. Maybe I had trouble with cracking(IF the problem was in fact the Zephyr) because of the way I work my glass. Lots of layers, silver, repeated pressing.... Maybe I just need a clear that can be more abused?? So far the moretti clear and Reich clear are working great for me.

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2011-06-11, 3:19pm

Yamaha,

Forgot to add.... Make sure you check them good AFTER soaking in warm water and cleaning. That is when the cracks appeared on my 3 rubino oro beads.

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2011-06-11, 4:59pm

Jeannie
Were you using Tag Clarity at one time? Has anyone compared Clarity to Zephyr?
Thanks
Old 2011-06-11, 5:09pm

Hi Nohline

I was just starting to do some investigation into the TAG clear, but then the Zephyr came out and I jumped into trying that.

I am going to go back and try TAG again sometime. I wanted to let the dust settle after my bad cracking experience, and get back to making some beads for awhile that I knew what was going to happen.

Jeannie

Old 2011-06-11, 7:09pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I can't find my receipt right now but I'm pretty sure I had batch 5.11.11-2. I get bubbles, too. Not may but definately several and big enough to notice.

I love how soft it is and the clarity is excellent. I hope the bubble issue can be resolved although sometimes it adds some interest to the bead.

I have a bead in the kiln that is part rubino encased with zephyr 452 and ze452 encased by rubino. It's shape and ends got a little out of hand but it sure was a pretty colour going into the kiln.

I haven't had anything crack with it, but since I've been annealing on my new schedules I haven't had any cracks, not even lauscha transparents with effetre pastels nor alabasters.

keeping my fingers crossed.

actually that reminds me, I didn't try ze452 with lauscha.

angel blessings
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-06-16, 2:10pm
They see me rollin'...

Has everyone gotten an email for the $20 credit? I sent my survey in on the 6th, but haven't heard anything since then.

Thanks,
-Patti

-Patti
Old 2011-06-16, 2:22pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Reminder - I have batch 5.11.11-1.
You can see the problems I'm having with tiny bubbles forming.
I must say this was a bit tricky to form up cause its so soft!
No cut ends were used in this marble. No tools touched the glass other than my infinite rim graphite marble mold. Rods were wiped down with alcohol before starting to make sure they were clean.

I would say that I find the clarity of Zephyr to be comparable to what you show here. I have the same batch as you have.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Last edited by loribeads; 2011-06-16 at 5:16pm. Reason: clarifying which clarity to make it clear
Old 2011-06-16, 2:23pm
needs creative tagline

yes, I got my credit a few days ago.

Regarding clarity vs zephyr - I tried one test bead with gaia, but sadly gaia doesn't like me and it just came out plain green will try again with a different silver glass and see what happens.

laura

Facebook -

Old 2011-06-16, 2:37pm
Tacki

I had the batch that ended in 7.

This is the first time I've looked at this thread since I got it, I totally forgot about it until I saw it bumped up today.

I also had a long scratch in the first rod I used. It produced bubbles that were big enough to easily remove, so it wasn't that big of a deal. I would happily deal with that if this glass were to go on sale. It's not as melty as Aether, but it's softer than the other clear I use when I don't want fuming which is Reichenbach. The Reich is too stiff to use in some of my designs, so this glass fills that void perfectly. I should also say that the 2nd rod I used had no scratch and no bubbles.

I'm thrilled with it.

Both beads are Triton with Iris Gold frit. Left one is with Zephyr, right one is with Aether. I had a bit of a coring accident with the left bead and it shattered, but I wanted to show the difference. PLEASE don't think it was a compatibility issue, because it was 100% my fault when I cored it.

Both of these are Kalypso over OY, with IB swirled in and encased. The left is with Zephyr, the right is with Aether. When you swirl the IB in with Kalypso and encase, the glass where it meets gets really iridescent. When used with Aether, it has a teal-green tone to it. With Zephyr, it stays true to the glass without fuming.

Here's a close up of the one with Aether:

And a close up of the one with Zephyr:

Last edited by tracidawn78; 2011-06-16 at 2:40pm. Reason: Added 2 more pics
Old 2011-06-16, 2:42pm
needs creative tagline

holy carp! must go try this color combo: Triton with Iris Gold frit. I am in love with those blues!

Facebook -

Old 2011-06-16, 3:45pm
Color Outside The Lines!

Default Compatibility and gift cards

We sent the gift codes via email early last week. If you didn’t receive one and should have check your junk mail folder. If it’s not in junk mail then your survey was probably missing the order number and we didn’t know who to send it to. Send us an email if yours is missing and we’ll try to figure it out.

Some thoughts on the compatibility piece, even though the survey is closed we are still interested in your feedback on any issue. All of the ZE-452 that we sent out was within our parameters of +/-350 PSI. Jed and I have been considering selling this clear (if we decide to move forward with it) with its PSI strain reading. It might enable you to choose which works best for you or for a specific color. What do you think?

Here are the strain readings against Effetre clear for the three batch dates we sent out:
5.11.11 (all codes) PSI range was 85.6 to 238.3 PSI
5.14.11 (all codes) PSI range was 57.8 to 113.9 PSI
5.18.11 (all codes) PSI range was -89.7 to -145 PSI

If you want more information on compatibility try our article, One Manufacturer's Perspective on Compatibility.
Thanks
Jed and Julie
Old 2011-06-16, 4:44pm
Lover of all things color

I posted a few pages back my problems with ZE and Multi-dark, well since that time I made a multi dark bead and encased it with Effetre Super Clear and it cracked also. I'm starting to think that I do, in fact, have 96 and not 104 in the Multi-dark.

All of my beads have a base of effetre regular clear. Would the Multi-dark 96 over the top of that not crack? I haven't had a cracking problem yet with that combination. I rarely encase it so am not sure

I can't imagine why I would buy 96 on purpose but it happens. I'm just not sure at this point. I actually have another whole set that I just did where I encase a set of rounds done with multi dark and super clear and there are no cracks so far.

I'll try another multi dark encased with ZE and see what happens. AND will go back and look at the ones that cracked to see if they all had the clear silver frit that this one did, that might just be the problem too as it was 96 coe.

I love the ZE and don't want any confusion if something else is to blame. (sorry for the long post, kind of trying to think it through).

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2011-06-16, 5:04pm
Mad about Glass

I have had one incompatability event with Zephyr. TAG Lake Geneva plus JetAge Taji Opal frit enceased with Zephyr - irregular cracks developed around the bead after 2-3 days. I still love Zephyr and have had no problems over DH glass or Effetre. I have batch 5.14.11-4.
I didn't complete the survey because I misunderstood the instructions and was waiting for it to be emailed to me!!! Should read instructions more closely!!

[url]

Old 2011-06-16, 5:19pm
Lampworkaholic!

Jan, maybe your supplier sent you the 96 by mistake. I have both and you can't really tell them apart by looking at them. Just a thought.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-06-16, 5:55pm
Tacki

Quote:
holy carp! must go try this color combo: Triton with Iris Gold frit. I am in love with those blues!
Thanks I never would have thought to put Reichenbach frit on silver glass if it wasn't for Hayley. She had a bead that I just had to have and while I didn't want to use the exact frit she used, I played around with others to get similar results, and I rather like the way iris gold reacts with it. It still doesn't hold a candle to the one I have from her, though.
Old 2011-06-16, 7:09pm
Born Facing Left

I couldn't complete the survey until the 7th, so I guess I'm out of luck, huh? No sign of any gift code in my email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Helix Glassworks View Post
We sent the gift codes via email early last week. If you didn’t receive one and should have check your junk mail folder. If it’s not in junk mail then your survey was probably missing the order number and we didn’t know who to send it to. Send us an email if yours is missing and we’ll try to figure it out.

Some thoughts on the compatibility piece, even though the survey is closed we are still interested in your feedback on any issue. All of the ZE-452 that we sent out was within our parameters of +/-350 PSI. Jed and I have been considering selling this clear (if we decide to move forward with it) with its PSI strain reading. It might enable you to choose which works best for you or for a specific color. What do you think?

Here are the strain readings against Effetre clear for the three batch dates we sent out:
5.11.11 (all codes) PSI range was 85.6 to 238.3 PSI
5.14.11 (all codes) PSI range was 57.8 to 113.9 PSI
5.18.11 (all codes) PSI range was -89.7 to -145 PSI

If you want more information on compatibility try our article, One Manufacturer's Perspective on Compatibility.
Thanks
Jed and Julie

Old 2011-06-21, 2:43am
Dark Flower Bead Art

I'm extremely pleased with Zepher. As a comparison here it is in a simple application.

Kalypso, Triton and Gaia

And where I think Zepher really shines, with Triton...perfect MOP...

I've got loads more pics but I think this says it all. I so want more. went through almost a whole pound already just getting warmed up
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-06-21, 5:18am
Rose colored glasses…√

I've not experienced any cracking yet, with any silver glass, and I've not annealed a number of them, just to see.

I still can't encase CIM Peace with any clear thus far, Zephyr either , and have the bead survive until the batch annealing process.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-06-21, 6:34am

The rubino based bead encased with Zephyr did crack a couple days later. I was expecting that.
The Dark Multi ones still have no cracks about 2 weeks later.
I use CIM but really don't encase any of it, I can't keep track of which ones are picky and which ones aren't.