No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-19, 2:57pm
Beads Beads Glass

Default Green goldstone

ok I give .. whats up with green goldstone???? I just got some I thought it was for 104 glass, But it keeps Shocking and the beads I put it in (so far) have all broken. I have a chilly pepper kiln so there is no time for them to thermal shock.

I should have known something was going wrong when I had to double encase the stringers I pulled just to keep then from braking when I cut them.

I have another bead in the kiln now one I made before I saw the others were broken. I will get photos up as soon as its out.

So whats up any Ideas???? I put kind of a lot in the beads I made too much maybe??? I don't know???

any help would be great

Actions, even desperately stupid ones, have consequences

working on new blog
Old 2011-10-19, 3:02pm
Lampworkaholic!

I have found Green Aventurine (goldstone) to be questionably compatible with soft glass. Blue and Gold, no problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-10-19, 3:06pm
Unmedicated since '62

yeah, i binned mine too

try just encasing a chunk of normal goldstone in emerald transparent, you get a lovely effect

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-10-19, 3:10pm
Beads Beads Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
yeah, i binned mine too

try just encasing a chunk of normal goldstone in emerald transparent, you get a lovely effect
I will give it a try. I have used purple, clear and Ink blue. on the gold goldstone

I have 1/2 lb of the gold gold and 1lb of the green I was really hopeing to get to use it.

working on new blog
Old 2011-10-19, 3:13pm

Aventurines are notoriously fussy with fit. Hit and miss really.
Old 2011-10-19, 3:27pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by sra-p96 View Post
I will give it a try. I have used purple, clear and Ink blue. on the gold goldstone

I have 1/2 lb of the gold gold and 1lb of the green I was really hopeing to get to use it.
in rod or chunks?

i've got a big chunk of purple i havent tried yet and some really sparkly blue

Old 2011-10-19, 3:55pm
Beads Beads Glass

Quote:
in rod or chunks?

Chunk I did not know there was a purple sounds Sweet!!!

working on new blog
Old 2011-10-19, 4:40pm

Quote:
in rod or chunks?

'Purple?? You think it is the gold encased with purple? Pics?
Old 2011-10-19, 4:53pm
Lampworkaholic!

Purple?! Want!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-10-19, 6:39pm
Unmedicated since '62

back off, its mine all mine!!! bwaaahhahahahah!!

it got sent to me really early in a RAOGK from someone in the UK who was getting out of lampworking - you have to pull it to stringer before you can tell its purple, deep wine purple

ETA - the flash makes it look more vibrant - in my hand it looks almost black
Attached Images

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2011-10-19 at 6:50pm.
Old 2011-10-20, 1:57am
Beads Beads Glass

wow

working on new blog
Old 2011-10-20, 2:55am
Entropy increasing....

Ok. Get her. You hold her down while I tickle her until she gives it up.
Old 2011-10-20, 3:13am
Unmedicated since '62

its honesly not that spectacular - even i went wow when i saw the photo, its dark dirty purple - it does pull into nice stringer but i've never tried it on a bead

i've just kept it on the shelf as a curiosity

ETA - here you go, from wiki

Quote:
Non-copper goldstones

Goldstone also exists in other color variants based on other elements. Cobalt or manganese can be substituted for copper; the resulting crystals have a more silvery appearance and are suspended in a strongly colored matrix of the corresponding ionic color, resulting in blue goldstone or purple goldstone respectively

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2011-10-20 at 3:17am.
Old 2011-10-20, 9:41pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Ok. Get her. You hold her down while I tickle her until she gives it up.
LOL.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-10-21, 6:13am

Smile

Darn- I bought some of this too in the GS. Thought I'd pull it out inot stringers for beads- kind of the whole point. Guess I can try and hope for the best:0 Laura

Old 2011-10-21, 12:15pm
Beads Beads Glass

here are the beads I made the two on the top on the ends the ones with more glodstone have broken the ones I made second with less of the green have not ...yet anyway

working on new blog
Old 2011-10-22, 2:25am

has worked ok for me

Old 2011-10-22, 2:29am
Beads Beads Glass

pretty!!!! I love this green I am going to have to keep working with it

working on new blog
Old 2011-10-22, 8:24am

The goldstone is usually the COE of the glass that it's mixed with upon making it. I think that most batches are either Reichenbach-96, Kugler-96 or Gaffer-96. You can find the 104 COE goldstones, but the most common ones are going to be 96COE, I'm afraid, especially in green as not many manufacturers make that mouthwatering color in chunks. Bullseye makes it as well, but there again you have 90 COE. If you pull a green, best to assume it's a Kugler and 96COE...

Gorgeous, though!!!!!

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-10-22, 12:41pm
><>

But the question is where do we get some o' that purple.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-10-22, 2:21pm
Beads Beads Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
But the question is where do we get some o' that purple.
I second that anybody????

working on new blog
Old 2011-10-23, 2:29am
Unmedicated since '62

I'm glad I'm on the other side of the planet

Old 2011-10-23, 4:47am

Quote:
back off, its mine all mine!!! bwaaahhahahahah!!

it got sent to me really early in a RAOGK from someone in the UK who was getting out of lampworking - you have to pull it to stringer before you can tell its purple, deep wine purple

ETA - the flash makes it look more vibrant - in my hand it looks almost black
It may be a big chunk of the blue goldstone... I don't know how they make it but when you pull a regular black out it turns purple as well. It may be part of how it's mixed, and then when you pull it into a stringer instead of using it as frit or rods you see more of a purple cast.

But I'm just guessing here

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-10-23, 7:14am

I have encased some of the gold color goldstone in the moretti gold pink with good results, maybe you can encase some blue in a deep purple transparent to get a more purple tone of stringer...

Laurie

Old 2011-10-23, 7:18am

picture of the pink -

Laurie
Attached Images

Old 2011-10-23, 7:42am

I have adventurine green ribbon & am having incombatable issues. I wrapped it on a base of CIM OZ (transparent green), encased in Eff Super Clear & withing 24 hours after annealing the clear just shattered. Next I tried a base of Eff super Clear, a wrap of Green adventurine, encased in clear - same result. Also tried Clear base, encased in CIM Sangre with a single wrap of green ribbon that I did not encase but left it raised on the bead. That was 2 days ago and so far no cracking. The green doesn't seem to loose it's glitter in the flame as much as the goldstone. I'd love to be able to use it for Christmas designs but don't want to make beads that crack!!!
Old 2011-10-23, 7:56am
Peerless Thread Killer

I've never had green aventurine crack in a bead. I encase a piece in clear, and pull it (it's a lumpy stringer). I have to heat it carefully because it's shocky. However, once I get it on a bead it's fine. I have also super-heated it to spread it and it gives a very cool effect-like crystals have formed on the surface. I have done a compatibility test on the aventurine with Effetre glass and it's very close, and I don't use much.

Old 2011-10-23, 7:57am
In the line of fire

I bought chunks of it many years ago. It was called Meteorite back then. I remember it being very stiff and hard to pull long stringers, maybe due to the fact that the copper particles are pretty large. These beads (made perhaps 5 years ago) had some sparkle, but not as much as in the chunk where they are more dense.

There wasn't a compatibility issue, but then again I didn't encase the bead. I also had no breakage with an encased stringer. That may be the problem - try using it on an unencased bead and see what happens.

Old 2011-10-23, 7:16pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFritGirl View Post
It may be a big chunk of the blue goldstone... I don't know how they make it but when you pull a regular black out it turns purple as well. It may be part of how it's mixed, and then when you pull it into a stringer instead of using it as frit or rods you see more of a purple cast.

But I'm just guessing here
na, i've got blue too - its a different colour, or maybe just a different batch - the blue is blue, the purple is like wine

Old 2011-10-25, 4:10pm

Wow! Too cool!

Leslie
Frit Happens...