Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-05-04, 1:49pm
glass is sooo...me!

Default need to make a "gaggle of geese" ring

OK here's the deal... I am working props for "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum"

If you have ever seen the show you'll remember that the script calls for 3 rings (that are worn on the finger) they are all identical and are referred to as looking like "a gaggle of geese".

Since the theater is small it will be seen by the front row.

I was thinking about a half circle of glass ("C" shaped) with a hole in each end that I can put a wire around the back and adjust to fit the actor/actress's finger.

I'm not sure about a gaggle of geese however...has anyone ever done a flock of birds? any suggestions? The director threw this in my lap since he didn't have a clue what to do either.

Help!!

Karen
Starfield Glass (and props manager for local theater)
Old 2007-05-04, 4:50pm
Missing presumed fed

"How many geese in a gaggle?"

"Oh, no. I am a virgin." "Is that good?"

"Seven times round the seven hills of Rome."

"I smell like a sweating horse."

OK. I'll stop now.

I wouldn't do glass. Glass is iffy for rings anyway. It's breakable, and props tend to get knocked around. It's not a situation where you want to have something that has to be treated with care.

It's also going to be hard to get the kind of detail that you want with glass. You'd need to do recognizable birds small enough that it's believable that there would be several going the whole way around the ring. That's going to be tough.

I'd go with metal, and I'm thinking copper because it's cheap and it's soft. You could form it into a band, and I don't think you'd need to solder it. You could get away with it for a few performances without the join being soldered, I think. (People who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to metal are welcome to add their opinions here.)

You can stamp a bird design into the metal. There was a recent thread on sources for metal stamps, and I've pulled some links from there. You can take a look and see if any of them suit. I doubt any of these have geese per se, but there are some birds, and theatre's all about illusion, right?

http://www.harpermfg.com/hm_designs.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Pattern-Silver...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.lisanivenkelly.com/shop/

Here's the link to the Metal Stamps thread:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ghlight=stamps

Metal stamps do seem to be pricey, and are frequently sold in sets -- but maybe you could sweet talk the eBay seller into selling you a single bird? (It looks semi-gooselike. Well, from a distance. If you squint.)

If you don't have any experience with metal, say so, and people will be glad to give you enough tips to get you through. It's going to be basically cutting a strip or a rectangle (which normally you'd do with a jeweler's saw, but you could do with metal snips for this, probably), filing the cut edges so they're smooth (tedious but not difficult), stamping the image (which means positioning the stamp and giving it a solid blow with a hammer), then putting the strip of metal around a ring mandrel, which is a graduated cylinder of metal (usually marked with ring sizes so you know where to put the metal), and tapping your metal with a mallet until it forms into a nice circle. Maybe you even know somebody who makes jewelry who could let you borrow a tool or two -- or who might be dragooned into helping?

I just don't think this is a great project for glass -- sorry.

Last edited by Emily; 2007-05-04 at 5:01pm.
Old 2007-05-04, 6:52pm
"Twirl that Honey round".

Emily is right about glass being a hazard in more then one area. Wire cored Fimo would be easily worked though metal would be the right choice. Silver isn't out of the question,I could supply you the tools(ain't living in the same town great) We'll talk props,try to catch up with you tomorrow-got some glass samples for you to play with too. Anybody else got a brainstorm brewing on any variation no matter how wild?
Old 2007-05-06, 6:18am

I thought Fimo too. Maybe glued to a plain metal ring?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-07, 3:10pm
Floral Obsessed

Yeah, if it's a prop Fimo is probably the way to go. You can colour it to look metallic.I couldn't find anything when I searched for "goose ring" but "swan ring" gave some good results!

Just to give you some ideas. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-05-09, 9:59am

Wow! I love that second ring!

Ana
Old 2007-05-19, 4:46pm
Bead Chick

I know that there's nothing "glass" about this suggestion, but what about a ring with a ton of feathers on it? Something like a feather boa, but meant to be worn on your finger. Since it's a stage prop, I think it would get a lot of impact that way.

Cheers,
Karin