LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-15, 12:25pm

Default Resist Gel or finger nail polish?

I have some beads I want to etch the base bead and leave the raised design unetched. I have done this before with the resist gel but it took a long time and magnifying glasses to paint the gel with a toothpick over the raised stringer. Very tedious if I remember correctly.
I have heard of people using finger nail polish but I haven't tried it. It seems like the polish would go on a lot easier than the gel and be easier to see. I just don't know about removing it... do you use finger nail polish remover or just scrape it off?
I would just try this on a test bead but am limited on time with this. My daughter needs the beads finished and made into jewelry by thursday evening for her school Holiday Social.
Thanks for any information,
Darlene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-15, 12:28pm
ManBearPig

I use Bob Dively Liquid Mask. It was originally created for the hobby industry, painting radio control cars and planes. Any hobby shop should have it.

Just paint it on and let it dry. When you are done, soak it in alcohol and it will remove the liquid mask.

•
•
•
Old 2008-12-15, 12:41pm

Thanks so much, I'll give Hobbytown a call to see if they have it.
Darlene

Old 2008-12-15, 12:46pm
I need more boro stuff

I'm using 'paint&peel' paint from craft shop. I leave it dry then peel it after etching.

Old 2008-12-15, 1:00pm
Entropy increasing....

I just use acrylic paint. The shiny kind you can buy at the craft store for around $1 a bottle. Paint it on, etch the bead and it wipes right off when you are rinsing the bead.

I use the gold color.
Old 2008-12-15, 1:03pm

Thanks everyone. Hobbytown didn't carry the Bob Dively Liquid Mask.
I did a search on Michaels website for paint & peel but no luck there either.
I guess I'll stop by Michaels and buy the arylic paint after work today. It has to be better than trying that gooey resist gel.
Thank you all again!!
Darlene

Old 2008-12-15, 1:03pm
ManBearPig

If you want to mail order it, I know Tower Hobbies has it. www.towerhobbies.com

•
•
•
Old 2008-12-15, 1:42pm

I use the fabric paint you can buy at most craft stores. It comes in many different colors (helps when you're working with dark or light beads) in small bottles. The bottle is a squeeze bottle with a built-in applicator that's small enough to do pretty precise lines. I don't remember the price, but it's pretty inexpensive. Good luck!

Mimi
Old 2008-12-15, 2:28pm
Crispy Critter

I use nail polish and remove it with nail polish remover. Easy and cheap!

Old 2008-12-15, 2:39pm
Mary Lockwood

I use nail polish and after etching the bead just wash it under warm running water. The nail polish peels right off.

Old 2008-12-15, 3:08pm
Dildo Kween!

I used a sharpie marker.

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2008-12-15, 3:40pm

I think I'm going to try all the methods listed here on some trash beads first then use the method easiest for the raised stringer on the beads I don't want to miss up.

Cosmo...thanks for the link, I'll probably order some and give that a try also. Do you know if it would be safe to use the masking liquid in a electroforming solution to say cover any metallic areas of the bead that you didn't want to possibly etch from the solution?

thanks everyone

Old 2008-12-16, 12:27am
offically down under

OOOhhhh I like the idea of a sharpie since I am so liquid challenged. Plus,,, sharpies come in pointy tips now.

Old 2008-12-16, 12:38am

sharpies work great as a resist for etching glass....I use it all the time.
Old 2008-12-16, 9:18am

I wanted to know this as well! tHANKS everyone!!

Amy