Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-25, 6:38pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Default 3 Week Old Lortone Tumbler is not working

I was in the last Lortone bulk buy. I've used my tumbler very little. About 3 times no longer than 2 hours at a time. Three days ago, I thought I would tumble some beads for a couple of days. I checked it this evening and it is not tumbling. Not sure how long it has not been working. Could be after it cools down a bit that it may work again, but I don't think they're suppose to do work like that are they? Also wanted to ask others if the lid that fits on the tumbler is a little sharp. I was kind of disappointed in its construction.

Patsy

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-10-25, 7:33pm

Maybe a belt?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barbara
Old 2013-10-25, 7:41pm
Slogan Challenged...

A faulty belt can be a frequent problem for Lortone tumblers, check out the reviews on Amazon. They had some fixes there too.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-10-25, 8:15pm

Hi Patsy,

I will check with Lortone on Monday when they open. I have only had one person contact them directly with an issue, so I may put you in touch with Teresa there. She is really sweet. The units are under warranty.

Are you looking to just return it? I can talk to Teresa on Monday, and then put you in touch with her. We will get it straight for ya!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-10-25, 8:42pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

How long is the warranty for?

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2013-10-25, 8:53pm

Hi Patsy, it's a one year warranty. If you go to Lortone.com there is more info on the warranty there. I can get additional answers for us on Monday directly from Lortone.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-10-25, 10:41pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Hopefully I just got a lemon. I've always heard good things about this tumbler.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2013-10-26, 7:00am

Did you blow a circuit?
Does the spindle turn when its plugged in with out the drum?
Does it sound like the motor is running?

If you have not tripped the breaker or blown a fuse its most likely the belt had a small flaw and broke.
It's an easy fix and they will likely mail you replacement parts.
Changeling the belt is straight forward and only takes a few minutes with a screwdriver.

Old 2013-10-28, 3:28pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Spindles are not turning. Motor is on. No blown fuse or circuit.

Ebay:
Old 2013-10-28, 4:06pm

My tumbler does the same. I thought I had it too full because the rods turn but the barrel doesn't turn. Looking for a solution to this problem also.
Old 2013-10-28, 4:19pm

Give it a little nudge and see if it starts turning
Old 2013-10-28, 5:21pm
Etched Metal Rocks...

also make sure the screw on top is on far enough...sometimes it wont "sit" in the well properly if it isn't really tightened down.

Old 2013-10-28, 5:44pm

The belt maybe broken or out of tension.
Some times the lid will not seat properly and end up sort of egg shaped and not turn.

If the drive spindle is not turning refer to the manual and see if the belt is loose or broken.

If the barrel is stalled make sure the lid is seated and your barrel rolls in a straight line.
Some times you can give it a nudge to get things going or the drive spindle stops turning try adjusting the tension per owners manual instructions.

Belts can be replaced fairly easily, loratone sells them for just a few bucks.

Old 2013-10-28, 6:13pm

They should not have to replace any parts on brand new tumblers. But do check the lid, and give the barrel a prod. I have had mine for 12 years. A few times I thought it was dead, but a nudge resolved it.
Old 2013-10-28, 9:36pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I didn't get an owners manual with this in the bulk buy. The lid was on fine. It spun when I first put it on. The spindles aren't turning. I did slap the side of it a little to see if the mktor would unfreeze.

Ebay:
Old 2013-10-29, 4:25am

The manuals can be found hear.
http://www.lortone.com/documents.html

Loratone has a 1 year warranty that's fairly good.

Old 2013-10-29, 6:08am

Hi Patsy,

As per my PM, please give Teresa an e-mail at Lortone, she is wonderful and very responsive. Her e-mail is tfillman@lortone.com. She can handle your issue, try to trouble shoot it and work with your warranty. She is the Direct contact there for equipment problems and warranty issues, as I already spoke with her.

Keep us posted!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-10-30, 12:06am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Thanks Julie. Teresa is sending a new belt and manual. I haven't had the chance to take the casing off today because I've been too busy. I will tomorrow. Hope that is the problem.

Ebay:
Old 2013-10-30, 9:53am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Just to let everyone know, it was the belt. I took off the casing today and it had slipped off the gears. I wanted to tighten it more to prevent slippage, but it was already adjusted to the maximum tightness. It does seem a little noisier now, but maybe the belt never was on correctly.

Ebay:
Old 2013-10-30, 5:06pm

Good to hear its working. The quality of the machines and customer service is why loratone are popular.