Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-02-21, 10:42am
Martyrs don't bitch.

Default Something funky with my Pirahna (sounds like a bad song)

When I light my pirahna, it shoots a biggish yellow flame out of one spot. I've figured out that I can sort of run the propane up and down and eventually it will go away, but it takes maybe 45 seconds.

Sometimes when I go to light it, it's like the oxygen won't ignite. I light the propane and turn on the oxy (regular 3-5 oxy con) it hisses a lot and the flame jumps a few inches away from the face of the torch and goes out if I'm not careful.

Does the torch need to be cleaned? I have never cleaned it and have no idea how to go about it.

Teague

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-02-21, 11:24am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague
[snip]Sometimes when I go to light it, it's like the oxygen won't ignite. I light the propane and turn on the oxy (regular 3-5 oxy con) it hisses a lot and the flame jumps a few inches away from the face of the torch and goes out if I'm not careful.
[snip]
It sounds more like a concentrator problem than a torch problem. Does it make any popping or sputtering noises? If it makes noises, it could be a torch problem.

About the flame in one spot when you light the torch thing... It could be something in one of the ports.

Did your torch come with a cleaning kit of any kind (wires/brush)? You can clean your ports by turning your oxygen on and running a small cleaning wire down into the ports, working it up and down, gently. Then, you can take a small stainless steel brush and gently sweep off the face of the torch. Do not use a brush made with brass bristles, as brass is too soft and the bristles can break off into your jets.

Of course, this is all my opinion.
Old 2006-02-21, 11:29am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I find it's helpful to make sure my O2 hose is actually filled with O2 before lighting the torch. Kind of like the opposite of bleeding the line. lol

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2006-02-21, 12:00pm

Hi,

I don't know if this will help or not, but I just got my Pirahna last week and spent the weekend trying to get to know it. My Porpane regulator kept slipping and I didn't realize it was creeping up and I was trying to compensate by turning up the oxygen. I would get these fingers of flame and a whistling sound.

I just got off of the phone from Generations Glass and they said that will happen when you are sending too much oxygen pressure through the torch. I'm hoping my regulator will start behaving now that it's above zero. It get's very finicky when it's cold.

Have a great day!
Amy
Old 2006-02-21, 1:32pm

Hi,
I have the same thing on occasion, and finally figured out that it was happening while the oxycon was warming up and not putting out enough oxygen. Now I either open the oxy valve and run the oxycon for about 5-10 minutes, then close the valve and light the torch (I also work on a Pirahna), or light the torch, keep the propane really low, turn on the oxycon and open the valve and keep that really low until the yellow disappears and I get my lovely little candles. I do try and clean my torch every day, but that does not seem to affect things.
Old 2006-02-21, 1:47pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Well I bought the torch from someone else, so it didn't come with little cleaning wires. Do you think I could get them if I contacted Bethlehem? You all might be on to something with the oxy con though, but it seems like the oxygen is blowing out the flame when I turn it on. Is it because it's not quite pure enough or pressurized to light?

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-02-21, 1:48pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Oh and it does make sputtering popping noises too.

TEague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-02-21, 2:08pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague
Oh and it does make sputtering popping noises too.

TEague
Sounds like pre-mixing, in my opinion.

The thing about those internal leaks is that they can start out very small and just be annoying. But then, they can get bigger and cause trouble. When oxygen and gas mixes inside your torch, it ignites and pops. The popping is an internal explosion. This is not good for a surface mix torch.

The size of the leak determines how often it will happen.

I would send it in to be checked out if it were my torch, just for the peace of mind.

About the cleaning wires, it never hurts to ask.

And again, the above statements are just my opinion.
Old 2006-02-22, 4:34pm

If the seive beds in the o2 gen are going or you have a valve thats sticking it can cause the gen to put out nitrogen instead of oxygen. My large industriel gen had a valve stick once or twice when it was super cold in my shop and it worked like a nitrogen genarator rather then a o2 genarator. but when the holding tank was filled with N2 instead of O2 it blows your flame right out as soom as you try to turn on the o2 knob.
Listen to the o2 gen and make sure its cycling right and making the right sounds. (hopfully you know the rythm it makes normaly)

The poping think sounds like some sort of premixing or leaky valve letting some gases trickel past with out havint enought volocity to all blow out the ports on the face. it will act like that if you leave the knobs a tiny tiny bit open on some torches. esp if they have a large body. and a large area inside for the gas to pool up. if its happing a lot something is wrong even if its only something minor like dirt in a valve stem. if its only once in a great while its just a fluke probly.
Old 2006-02-24, 12:47am
Martyrs don't bitch.

I've never heard that about the N2 vs O2 before, interesting thanks! I have figured out that it helps if I wait for it to cycle a few times before lighting it. Before I was lighting it pretty much right after the alarm stopped.

Thanks!

Teague

Oh and I have e-mailed them about sending it in too.

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2006-02-25, 6:47am

My oxy con came with instructions to let it run for 20 min with the torch valve open before lighting the flame. I think it has to do with getting the oxygen reservoir purged of air and filled with oxygen.
Old 2006-02-25, 12:56pm

oxygen reservoir purged of air and filled with oxygen. yes if its just doing it when you first turn the gen on and it comes up the the normal flame within a short time that is all thats going on. Luckly they have a pretty small tank to purge useally about 2-3 litters plus what ever air is in your hose. So it should purge its self in about 1 min. or so if you'r torchs o2 valve is open.

If thats all it is doing every thing is ok and within the norm for a small medical o2 gen. esp if it only does it when you first turn it on.