Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2014-05-19, 6:14am

Default New home studio/shop, progress in Maryland

Redesigning my studio/glass room at home. This is part of the upstairs to our home. It is about 25' x 28'. Lots of work still ahead.

Step One: removed wall, which encompassed the old office. Now I will have one large opened room.

Step Two: Lots of prep, drywall repair, priming some painting...now today we are ready for the flooring to be installed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
Old 2014-05-19, 7:35am
Slogan Challenged...

Wow, look at those windows! That is going to be a great space for you, keep the pics coming. I just loving look at renovations, especially the glassy sort

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-05-19, 10:19am
JennyD

looks like an awesome space for a studio! can't wait to see how it turns out!

...I'd rather be beading!

Old 2014-05-19, 7:06pm

Yay! I love new spaces and what can be done with them.
Make sure to keep posting the progress

Old 2014-05-22, 11:35am

Floors are in, now some quick paint touch ups and design begin.

~
~
~
~
Old 2014-05-22, 1:35pm
Slogan Challenged...

That looks like a gallery. What a great space.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-05-22, 3:49pm

what a great space - I would love a space like that but for me - that floor would be my downfall - I'm too careless/accident prone

Are you torching up there?

If so, are you Ok with the possibility that your new floor resembles a bad adventure in woodburning in a couple of years or do you have a plan for the bench area to protect the floor?
Sorry - don't mean to rain on anyone's parade - it's a beautiful room which is probably why I went eek - SAVE the FLOOR!!! LOL

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2014-05-22 at 4:06pm.
Old 2014-05-22, 7:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaglass View Post
what a great space - I would love a space like that but for me - that floor would be my downfall - I'm too careless/accident prone

Are you torching up there?

If so, are you Ok with the possibility that your new floor resembles a bad adventure in woodburning in a couple of years or do you have a plan for the bench area to protect the floor?
Sorry - don't mean to rain on anyone's parade - it's a beautiful room which is probably why I went eek - SAVE the FLOOR!!! LOL
I agree. Beautiful floor, but it would be a shame to make burn marks in it. (unless that's the look you're going for) Be sure you have a fire extenguisher!!

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2014-05-23, 6:37am
Loving learning

Wow, I'd never want to come down to the rest of the house!
Old 2014-05-23, 7:39am

That's MY PLAN!!!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Wow, I'd never want to come down to the rest of the house!

~
~
~
~
Old 2014-05-31, 3:55am

Love, love, love the space!
Old 2014-05-31, 7:07am

Very nice, I cant wait to see it set up.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2014-05-31, 4:48pm

Smile No, Seriously

Julie,
Seriously, what are your plans for the floor protection? I am REAL new to all this, still waiting on my first lesson, and I am a planner...when the time comes I will have my room planned out to the nth degree and First thing I thought was no wood floor. But now I see you using a wood floor. Though I have been thinking stone tiles...see I just can't stop planning. Back to my question...what kind of protection if any are you planning for the floor? Thanks!
Old 2014-06-18, 4:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceewoman View Post
Julie,

Seriously, what are your plans for the floor protection? I am REAL new to all this, still waiting on my first lesson, and I am a planner...when the time comes I will have my room planned out to the nth degree and First thing I thought was no wood floor. But now I see you using a wood floor. Though I have been thinking stone tiles...see I just can't stop planning. Back to my question...what kind of protection if any are you planning for the floor? Thanks!

Hey there, yes I did decide wood. It's truly, in my opinion, very easy to clean. I don't have to worry about grout etc. I am looking for a rug or two, but I kind of like the fact that I can pull out my slim dyson and everything is picked up, including tiny bits of glass pieces, etc. My room is pretty large, 26x32...cost wise not sure what tile could have or would have saved me, the wood was about $4k; something we decided to have installed by someone other than ourselves.

I'll post some new progress pics soon, hopefully my torch ventilation will be installed by next week.

~
~
~
~
Old 2014-06-25, 12:57am
Phill

I would suggest sheet metal over cement tile backer board for the hot glass area.

I think shocky hot glass burn marks would be a shame on that lovely floor.

I picked up 3 foot by 13 foot sheet metal from my local heating and ventilation / air conditioning place for $18 a few years back.
The sheet metal cleans quickly and the tile backer keeps the heat away from the wood floor.
Old 2014-07-22, 4:27am

Lots of great things and suggestions being taken. I have lots of work to do. In the meantime, I had to move a house worth of things into here for temp storage, soon to be cleaned out. More importantly, my vent system is going in today and tomorrow over my BOOS block... After pics to follow. This is the calm before the storm. Back from The Gathering and back to work.

~
~
~
~
Old 2014-07-22, 9:37am
Slogan Challenged...

Wow, love the glass storage, and all the glass! Certainly an upside to being a supplier Lots of room, too. I bet it will feel good to get back to torching.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-08-16, 11:31am

Going to take your advice Phil! Working on things as we speak...this has been a slow process. But I have my ventilation hooked up and that is ready to go. Will post pics soon. Going to start bringing up and in my set up from the garage area hopefully today...

Meanwhile, back to Lowes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
I would suggest sheet metal over cement tile backer board for the hot glass area.

I think shocky hot glass burn marks would be a shame on that lovely floor.

I picked up 3 foot by 13 foot sheet metal from my local heating and ventilation / air conditioning place for $18 a few years back.
The sheet metal cleans quickly and the tile backer keeps the heat away from the wood floor.

~
~
~
~
Old 2014-08-26, 7:52am
Practicing perfect

Love your new space Julie! I am so envious.

Old 2014-08-31, 12:46pm

Default New home studio/shop, progress in Maryland

More progress today, quite a mess. Gas and o2 lines run as well as the 220 for the kiln. Can't wait to put things in all the right places.

~
~
~
~
Old 2014-09-03, 11:01am

I have studio envy! Lovely studio x
Old 2014-09-15, 2:43pm

I've been working on organizing, I think it's time to burn!

~
~
~
~
Old 2014-09-15, 7:35pm
Slogan Challenged...

Yeah! Looks great, get started already!!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-09-16, 2:08am

This looks fabulous Julie! My husband is finishing up a similar space for my new studio and I'm getting lots of inspiration from yours!
Old 2014-09-18, 6:42pm

My god! I don't think my space was organized when it was brand spankin' new. It surely isn't by now. Maybe if keep coming back and looking at this it will rub off on me.
Old 2014-10-10, 7:41am

I love the look of your studio and hope to plan a new build in the future for my own. What steps did you take to plan your ventilation system. This always confuses me. What about makeup air. Now that you have it down are you happy with your vent and is is quiet?
I will also have an upstairs studio, with a balcony to put my propane tank on. Where is yours? Maybe I missed it.
Thanks for nay input you can give.
Old 2014-10-15, 1:58pm

What a wonderful space, so clean and bright. Have fun torching!