Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-08-09, 7:16am

Default using a brass scull press

Hi everyone I am using a scull that has been carved into brass and it sits on the end of a rod. I heat up a gather of clear the push it into the center of the gather. Keeping it warm I heat up another gather of color super hot and fill up the cavity left behind. I am getting good results but I would like better. Any tips.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-08-09, 7:32am

fill the eye sockets with a stringer before you feel the rest of the cavity.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-08-09, 8:08am

Oh, ok I will try.

Old 2011-08-09, 8:09am

I fume with silver before filling with more clear.
Old 2011-08-09, 8:25am

I did try one with silver yesterday and it did turn out nice. The one I fumed I squished too flat so it doesn't look great. The whole fuming thing is new to me so I will play more with it today.

Old 2011-08-09, 9:00am
is

I've found very little use for any presses or molds with boro glass... They all look like crap.
Old 2011-08-09, 10:29am

Here are some that I did yesterday. Heading out to do some more today. I know what you mean LePaton but I am hoping it is just a learning curve for me. The last one is fumed and the others are not does anyone know where the shiny stuff comes from on the other ones, is it the reaction to the brass on the press.
Attached Images

Old 2011-08-09, 10:52am
Borovangelist

love the blueish one!

|
|
Old 2011-08-09, 11:25am
Pyromaniac

shiny stuff looks like trapped air.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-08-09, 12:39pm
Pyromaniac

Some suggestions for more detailed results: Get the glass really hot, make your imprint, being careful not to smear the impression. When filling, I've used several different methods, each with varying success.

1: Use 6-8 MM rod and using a small hot gather to smoosh in over one of the eyes, repeat with the other eye, being careful not to leave any undercut areas. Then fill in the top and bottom with somewhat larger gathers.

2: Get a fairly LARGE gather of glass on a 12 mm rod REALLY hot and smoosh it around in the impression, and then fill as needed.

Clear works best for filling, so generally I've fumed these rather than fill with color glass. The clear gets almost runny-hot, which is what you want.

Making these guys is fun. Here is a thread with some skulls I made with a skull ring. There are also some more suggestions and some pictures of what the skull ring impressions look like: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=136358

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-08-10, 7:53am

Thanks for the tips Chris. I made a few more yesterday and love the idea I came up with. It's a scull at the bottom of a shot glass. My hollow form skills need some work but you get the idea. Bottoms up!
Attached Images

Old 2011-08-10, 8:27am
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb tarry View Post
Thanks for the tips Chris. I made a few more yesterday and love the idea I came up with. It's a scull at the bottom of a shot glass. My hollow form skills need some work but you get the idea. Bottoms up!
Deb, if you make them half the height, you can sell them as "Oil Dishes" for around $60-$100 each.
Old 2011-08-10, 8:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePatron View Post
Deb, if you make them half the height, you can sell them as "Oil Dishes" for around $60-$100 each.
What is an oil dish? Is it like a candle or something?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-08-10, 10:07am

Oil as in Hash oil. Ganja. Weed.
Old 2011-08-10, 8:27pm
is

Yup, it's just a dish that would hold a quarter coin inside of it in size really. Holds 5g of oil-ish per dish.
Old 2011-08-10, 8:54pm

I asked my son about them and he gave me the scoop. I have sold all that I made but I didn't get 60.00 dollars for them. I may have to look into that market if I can that amount for them.

Old 2011-08-10, 11:07pm

to get that amount for them, usually use reversals, sparkly colors, cool mib attachment etc, along with the skull mold or anything to catch attention, and they will do very well
Old 2011-08-11, 6:34am

Ah yes sparkly colors. Do they get heated up with a lighter to transfer the oil?

Old 2011-08-11, 7:50am

Answers to all you seek......

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/index.php
Old 2011-08-11, 8:53am
OOoh it glows when it's

I use powder to fill my skull punches
Old 2011-08-11, 1:15pm
is

Quote:
Ah yes sparkly colors. Do they get heated up with a lighter to transfer the oil?
Generally the oil is made through butane extraction. (Oil can be from any medicinal plant, rosemary, sage, etc.... it doesnt "have" to be ganja). Once most of the butane evaporates in a pyrex dish the oil is left behind. You'd generally use two razor blades to scrape it into a pile and then let it oooooze into the dish.

The local shop that buys my oil domes and dishes pay me $45 per dish and $60 per oil dome setup. Retail is generally double that. Smoke shops buy them fast, not many glass blowers make them, every newbie starts making spoons.

Others are right, to get the big dollar for the dishes they do have to look cool. None I've seen use skull presses or images, its about making yours look wicked and unique, not about always putting in a reversal or sparkles. Have fun!!
Old 2011-08-11, 9:45pm

I think I am getting better results won't no for sure until the morning. I tried filling up the cavity with small frit powder and all I had was 'american beauty' didn't like that. But I tried fuming with a bit of silver then filling up the cavity with light blue a/p I think that one turned out well. Ill post pics tomorrow.
LePatron do you have any pictures of what you do. I would like to see them. Are you on facebook or do you have a web site. deb t

Old 2011-08-12, 9:11am

More sculls. The first two are the same pendant but different views.
Attached Images

Old 2011-08-12, 9:37am
Borovangelist

wow, I love the pendant!!

|
|
Old 2011-08-12, 11:56am
is

Quote:
I think I am getting better results won't no for sure until the morning. I tried filling up the cavity with small frit powder and all I had was 'american beauty' didn't like that. But I tried fuming with a bit of silver then filling up the cavity with light blue a/p I think that one turned out well. Ill post pics tomorrow.
LePatron do you have any pictures of what you do. I would like to see them. Are you on facebook or do you have a web site. deb t
http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/wakeglass/ That's me. Dig around in there a little you'll see the oil dishes.

I do have facebook but dont really know how to use it, I find it weird to update when I'm eating Toast or want to take the fish out for a walk.
Old 2011-08-12, 6:16pm

Default Skull press

Wow Deb,

Those are wonderful!!! Good job!!!!

Suzanne
Old 2011-08-12, 6:49pm

Thanks Suzanne
LePatron you are funny.
I can just picture you walking down the road............

Old 2011-08-12, 7:06pm

oh and thanks for the link LePatron.

Old 2011-08-12, 7:07pm
is

Quote:
oh and thanks for the link LePatron.
I walk with swagger!

Anytime, glad to help.
Old 2011-08-12, 7:10pm

I bet you do.