LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-31, 10:11am

Talking dirty glass

I just got 18 LBS of dirty 104 glass rods for LE ( happy score) but I don't know what to use to clean them? Windex, or something stronger? Big thanks for this newbie
maria
Old 2013-03-31, 10:13am
Loving learning

If it isn't DH, you would probably be fastest to pickle it in bunches. (Do NOT do Zephyr)
I use PH down from the pool supplies aisle of HD or wherever has pool supplies.

More information in this thread:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...t=pickle+glass
Old 2013-03-31, 10:24am

I would wipe it down first before useing the pickle.

salt/white vinagar should work, and may be on sale, a lot of stores have excess after building stock for Easter.

i

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-31, 10:41am

I put mine in the dish washer

Old 2013-03-31, 10:43am
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I put mine in the dish washer
I have seen where people do that. Do you stand it up in the silverware basket, or put it horizontal on the racks? If I had a bunch I might be tempted to try it, but don't want to run a cycle for a 1/2 pound of glass. Or do you just stick it in with your dirty dishes?

Oh, & I also would worry about keeping it so I know what it is if it isn't a "yes, that is my 006" type color.
Old 2013-03-31, 12:46pm

If it is just dusty, wash it in your sink, dishwashing liquid, warm water, rinse, dry.
Old 2013-03-31, 2:09pm
Ezzy

or wipe it down with alcohol and a paper towel
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2013-03-31, 3:13pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I have seen where people do that. Do you stand it up in the silverware basket, or put it horizontal on the racks? If I had a bunch I might be tempted to try it, but don't want to run a cycle for a 1/2 pound of glass. Or do you just stick it in with your dirty dishes?

Oh, & I also would worry about keeping it so I know what it is if it isn't a "yes, that is my 006" type color.
I just lay mine down on the top shelf.

Old 2013-03-31, 3:17pm
randomly active member

I keep a roll of paper towels and a squirt bottle of alcohol next to my workbench and wipe as I go.
.:.

Old 2013-03-31, 5:24pm
one day at a time

Soak in Dawn and warm water, wipe each rod back and forth with a wash cloth or plastic scrubbie and rinse. Then to get them really clean and get rid of residue from the stuck-on disintegrated gooey rubber bands, clean with nail polish remover. Takes that crap right off. But don't get the oily moisturizing polish remover, just the cheap no extra junk added stuff. Acetone based, preferably.

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-04-01 at 12:03am.
Old 2013-03-31, 11:38pm

I keep alcohol wipes next to my glass and clean as I go. You can put the wipe back in the container and use several times.

Old 2013-03-31, 11:58pm
Steph

Quote:
If it isn't DH, you would probably be fastest to pickle it in bunches. (Do NOT do Zephyr)
I use PH down from the pool supplies aisle of HD or wherever has pool supplies.

More information in this thread:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...t=pickle+glass
Am wondering why not Zephyr? Not that there is any need to, as it comes so lovely and protected!

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2013-04-01, 4:45pm
Grateful Member

I put larger amounts (1/2 or more) in the dishwasher...top shelf ... with other things if they're there.

I keep 70% rubbing alcohol on my work table in the kind of containers nail techs use for polish remover. You push down on the top and it releases a little liquied into the top area which is slightly concave. I use this to do a pre-torch clean-up or even while I'm in progress if I feel I've gotten some dirt or oil from my hands on the rod.

I know some people use white vinegar in lieu of alcohol. I've not heard of using straight acetone. I would think it might leave a bit of a film. But I think I'll try it since it's such a potent cleaner.
Old 2013-04-01, 7:22pm

Maria, where did you buy it that it was so dirty?

Barbara
Old 2013-04-01, 7:26pm

clean and go sounds like a winner thanks
Old 2013-04-01, 7:34pm

Soap and water. Or the dishwasher.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2013-04-01, 8:15pm
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Dee View Post
Am wondering why not Zephyr? Not that there is any need to, as it comes so lovely and protected!
It is said to be etched by the pickle:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=pickle+zephyr
Old 2013-04-02, 1:03am
Lizard rescue squad

For a large quantity of glass, I'll throw in another vote for the dishwasher. Easy and effective. For just a few rods, both alcohol and acetone work great. However, both are very flammable, which is an obvious drawback around a torch. Vinegar seems to work well without risking any fires.

Barb, to answer your question about straight acetone, it doesn't leave any residue. Back in the days when I worked as a glassblower in a research lab we always used acetone as a final rinse when cleaning glass, for exactly that reason. And we had virtually any chemicals we wanted at our disposal. (Have I ever mentioned how much I hated working with HF every day?)

Brad

Old 2013-04-02, 2:33am
Steph

Quote:
It is said to be etched by the pickle:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=pickle+zephyr
Thanks Eileen, that made interesting reading!!

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2013-04-02, 8:52pm
Grateful Member

Brad,
Thanks for the info on Acetone. Maybe I'll swap out the alcohol in my push-top dispenser and just do Acetone....except, as you say, pretty flammable and more so than alcohol, I think. I'll have to ponder this a bit more.

That vinegar is sounding pretty good. But I'll for sure keep the Acetone handy in the arms-reach cabinet where it now resides. (My studio space is so small, everything's within in an arm's reach!) Cozy!

Thanks!
Barb
Old 2013-04-04, 4:13pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Acetone is HIGHLY volatile, the flash point is -17C.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone

I would recomend not using acetone near ANY ignition source.

Nail polish remover has an oil in it to reduce the volatility of the acetone solvent.
Old 2013-04-04, 5:32pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post

Nail polish remover has an oil in it to reduce the volatility of the acetone solvent.
It's also really bad in the environment and I have not found it to be any better than much simpler methods. I use denatured alcohol for my clear/transparent glass rods if I am going to be doing something really special but I find soap & water to be just fine, windex works ok as does white vinegar.
Old 2013-04-21, 10:00pm
Lizard rescue squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbRose View Post
Brad,
Thanks for the info on Acetone. Maybe I'll swap out the alcohol in my push-top dispenser and just do Acetone....except, as you say, pretty flammable and more so than alcohol, I think. I'll have to ponder this a bit more.

That vinegar is sounding pretty good. But I'll for sure keep the Acetone handy in the arms-reach cabinet where it now resides. (My studio space is so small, everything's within in an arm's reach!) Cozy!

Thanks!
Barb
I'm a little late getting back to this thread.

Barb, what I said about acetone wasn't meant to be a recommendation for using it (although it kind of looks that way after re-reading it), it was simply an answer to your question about whether or not acetone leaves a residue on glass.

My personal preference for cleaning dirty glass in my studio is 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Check the label for the alcohol percentage. The cheap stuff is usually around 70% alcohol. The rest is just water.

Brad

Last edited by glassmaker; 2013-04-21 at 10:02pm.
Old 2013-04-22, 8:09am

If using vinegar to wipe glass, be prepared for the smell of pickles. Smell doesn't last but it isn't for everyone.
Joan
Old 2013-04-22, 9:57am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post

Ummm...let me clarify! I do not clean my glass anywhere near my studio. I do this outside on my carport, because I don't want to breathe it either. Always! I am meticulous about setting up my work table before I start torching. Everything is already cleaned and ready to go. The acetone/nail polish remover is absolutely the best way to get the gooey rubber band residue off all the way, without a lot of effort.

When I mentioned the nail polish remover, I just assumed that people would not use it anywhere near their torch! lol

Edited to say: after the nail polish remover wipe down which is only for the dirtiest rods and getting off rubber band gunk, I wash with warm soapy water and Dawn.

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-04-22 at 10:04am.
Old 2013-04-22, 1:47pm
Lizard rescue squad

In the end I think the best answer is to use the least hazardous solvent that works. For a lot of common dirt that is just dishwashing liquid and water. For something a little tougher, alcohol. As Lisi said, rubber band residue usually requires acetone or the like. MEK may be required if you have some really nasty crap on your glass, but then, you shouldn't get stuff that bad on your glass to start with. (MEK will completely dissolve ABS plastic, which is the stuff motorcycle fairings are made from.)

No matter what you choose to use, do it in a safe manner. This seems pretty obvious but is worth mentioning since I once personally watched as an instructor at one of the largest teaching studios in the USA dipped the hot end of a boro rod into an open bottle of alcohol he had sitting on the bench next to him to clean it as he demo'ed. NOT exactly the best safety example to set for students. Later in the class that same open bottle of alcohol got knocked over and spilled on the workbench while people were working. Fortunately, nothing ignited...

Be safe, not stupid.

Brad

Old 2013-04-22, 1:53pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
If it is just dusty, wash it in your sink, dishwashing liquid, warm water, rinse, dry.
Yep, and I use a towel instead of paper towels because they leave behind particulates.

Old 2013-04-22, 7:10pm

I always wipe a rod off on my t-shirt before using.

Old 2013-04-22, 7:18pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhoust View Post
I always wipe a rod off on my t-shirt before using.
Me too!

Old 2013-04-22, 7:40pm
Against the Grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtarara View Post
I keep alcohol wipes next to my glass and clean as I go. You can put the wipe back in the container and use several times.
This is the easiest way. I'm lazy.