Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-31, 3:21pm

Default Annealing question

Is it best to place a bead in the kiln while it's still red hot, or let it get back it's color first?
Old 2008-01-31, 3:34pm
Meg*

You need to let it cool a little. You don't want to put it into the kiln red hot or the shape will distort. Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Stuff 3/23
Old 2008-01-31, 3:52pm

Thanks so much
Old 2008-01-31, 4:41pm
Life is change. Love it

It should be glowing when you put it in the kiln. Especially if you are using Lauscha!

Old 2008-01-31, 4:43pm
Gay rights R human rights

or bullseye!

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-01-31, 4:46pm
Formerly known as LT

Glowing but not so hot it slumps. What I do for the larger ones is give it a good heating and look at it under the table. You can see much easier how hot it is and how evenlly it is heated. Give several reheats until you get a nice soft glow that is even in color all over, then pop it in the kiln. Try not to touch it on anything at that point or you will have a little kiln kiss on it. For most colors after about 20-30 min. you can set them on the floor to save room and get more beads in. Hope this helps.

Old 2008-01-31, 5:14pm

I found out recently that reds, at least, don't shift back from brown/black until under 250 degrees F.

I've just started putting 'em in the kiln hot regularly...we'll see how long that lasts when the outside temperature hits the 90s, LOL, so that's how I observed this.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!