Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-05-12, 12:54am

I can pull stringers no prob, I've tried twisties maybe 10 times and 2 came out ok but usually they get to hard to pull more after a few inches so they come out a bit thick and short. I'll try again and wait longer to start pulling. I was using a half used thickish rod as a punty
Old 2013-05-12, 5:36am
Your Royal Fritness

Hi Patsy,

You can use steel mandrels as punties as well and it might give you more control while pulling out your wigwag. These are a wonderful exercise in learning how to read the heat so don't give up. If you are only getting a thick short pull with your whole gather you need a deeper heat to start with. Don't give up, mastering a technique takes time and since you are new there will be a learning curve. These are all in soft glass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mustang Dawn; 2013-05-12 at 11:43am. Reason: Typo
Old 2013-05-12, 11:30am
Lava Maker

Thanks for the bump. Next time I hook up for soft glass, I will givethis a go.

Ann DeHoff
Old 2013-05-12, 6:09pm
Echo's Mother

Thank you for sharing. Some one tried to explain it to me and we got know where. Your instructions are very clear. Your wig-wags are perfect.
Old 2013-05-12, 6:18pm
Echo's Mother

Thank you for sharing.
Old 2017-03-17, 10:42pm
Naysayer

Bump. The 'wavey bead' thread reminded me of this.
Old 2018-01-31, 10:00am

My first try at a wigwag, and WOW is it bad. Lol! It's actually better than when I started, since I had started pulling, it was uneven, got too thin, popped off the punty, cracked in half, the big blob end then cracked and fell on the ground while ai scrambled after it with tweezers, dropped it multiple times, re-puntied it and heated it molten to heal all the cold stress it got. So, pretty good looking, considering!

The base for this is made differently than the tutorial in that I made a paddle of white, put mint on one side and lavender on the other, globed it up with clear and encased the sides with clear.

I kept getting thrown by seeing my twists come undone, but towards the end (the right side) I think I was starting to get the hang of it.
Attached Images

Old 2018-02-19, 10:56am
Your Royal Fritness

Looks like you have the concept down and it will look great on a bead. With your next one melt your gather down until smooth and then start your twists. This gives you a nice smooth wig wag and makes it a bit easier to make with even heat in the gather.

Old 2018-02-19, 12:19pm

Thanks for the tip!
Old 2018-11-08, 7:57pm

My twisties are still a work in progress, but this looks awesome and as mentioned, would be a great way to practice and still have an interesting end product even if things don't go perfectly. Thanks for sharing!
Old 2018-11-16, 8:12pm

What a great idea and tutorial. Can’t wait to try.