Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-01-05, 1:19pm
Burning Fingers!

Default Canadian "Chapter"?

The lampwork group I belong to is considering donating to Beads of Courage, however we would like to know if there is a Canadian chapter - preferably a west coast one. Anybody know? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Old 2011-01-05, 3:10pm
burnin' glass just becuz

not nationally that i'm aware but if you contact your local kid's hospital they may have a local/regional coordinator who you can speak with...

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2011-01-05, 4:57pm
Burning Fingers!

Thanks - I have sent an inquiry to the Vancouver Children's Hospital - hopefully they will reply soon.

/
/
/

Old 2011-01-06, 7:08am

At the present time we don't have any Beads of Courage member hospitals in Canada. I'm hoping to see this change this year but don't know for sure that it will.

Robert
Old 2011-01-06, 3:07pm
Burning Fingers!

Thanks Robert.

/
/
/

Old 2011-01-06, 5:06pm

Grace Edwards and I were speaking of this recently. I am fairly certain all the Ontario hospitals are involved with another program. I would so love to be able to work to convince these hospitals of the benefits of switching to BOC and stop using factory made beads.

I have attempted to speak with someone at BOC about other opportunities I can access for spreading the word as well but haven't heard anything back ?!? That was shortly after july's gathering and I don't recall who I spoke with.

In any event, I remain interested if I could be pointed in the right direction.
Old 2011-01-06, 6:01pm

There is another program running in Canada. I'm unsure of the current status of discussions between them and BoC. I'd certainly like to see it work out to the betterment of all.

Robert
Old 2011-01-06, 6:17pm
Burning Fingers!

I'll let you know if I hear anything from the Vancouver children's hospital.

/
/
/

Old 2011-01-06, 11:42pm
Obsessed Blogger

I've passed the link to this thread on to Colin Smith, BOC Program Director. I know that we have been working to get some Canadian sites up and running but don't know the status.

Regarding the "other" bead program(s), they do not use artist glass beads as medicine like BOC does. They are not research based like BOC. The difference between BOC and these other programs is the research, intentionality and the true use of art as medicine to help children.

In BOC programs, people might not realize that beads are NOT rewards for doing a good job...they are strong symbols that HONOR strength and COURAGE and promote further psychosocial healing.

Anyway...all that being said...please, if you ever are asked or have the opportunity to donate to these other programs, please consider the fact that Beads of Courage USES artist beads in an special way. They don't just give them out like giving a kid a sticker. Beads of Courage HONORS the artists that make them and also works hard to promote not only bead art, but our dedicated glass artists that donate.

Maybe Colin will come her and explain "continuity of care" as well, which relates to why we believe that BOC should be the standard of care for this type of program and why we should support it.

Ok...I'm stepping down from my soapbox.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

::
Old 2011-01-19, 1:51am

Smile BOC Canada

Hi
I inquired about a Canadian BOC on this forum a couple of months ago. I live on the west coast in Vancouver. Currently Childerens and Mount St. Josephs do not have a program but would be interested. I was going to contact them in the new year which is here. If anyone would like to contact me in the lower mainland and see what we need to do to make this happen. Please pm me.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Penny
Old 2011-01-19, 7:55am
Obsessed Blogger

Hi Penny.

Victoria Plouffe is currently taking inquiries about Canadian sites. She is a board member who recently moved back to Vancouver, I believe. You can contact her at
...I'm not sure she reads LE.

Or, email me and I will pass your info on to her. Thanks!!

Old 2011-01-19, 9:59am
Burning Fingers!

Quote:
Hi
I inquired about a Canadian BOC on this forum a couple of months ago. I live on the west coast in Vancouver. Currently Childerens and Mount St. Josephs do not have a program but would be interested. I was going to contact them in the new year which is here. If anyone would like to contact me in the lower mainland and see what we need to do to make this happen. Please pm me.

Penny
Hi Penny,
I sent an email to the Vancouver Children's Hospital a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't heard back from them - and I presume they aren't going to respond. A simple "no" would have sufficed.

If you find out anything I would really appreciate it if you could let me know. Then I can give our group some info. Thanks.

/
/
/

Old 2011-02-28, 11:07pm
Hat or Cake?

I googled, "Ontario, Canada, children, courage, beads" and found a reference to 'Sick Kids' or, more properly, The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, on a site for Platelet Disorder Support Association. There appears to be some kind of program in Toronto and something in Montreal, but it's not quite the same:

"My son has two or three ropes of beads, they do them at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto Ontario too. They did indeed start them for cancer patients but have extended it to most floors including hemo, and cardiology. I went through the list that you get as best I could and had to make up for 7 years of not having them, they said just put down as best you can remember, so I did, but Im sure there are waaaaaaaaaay more red beads missing for bloodwork! Its an awsome idea, gives the kids even a tiny thing to look forward to when they are admitted, they have boxes on every floor at the nursing station and most children down there adorn their IV poles with them, some have many, many strands. There are very large and special beads for major surgeries etc...its awsome, my son loves them. I think every hospital should do it."

They are focused on hematology and seem to have a different kind of 'hierarchy' of beads and their significance:

These posts were from about four months ago.
Beth

ETA: It doesn't say if they are mass-produced beads or not, but there is a reference to some beads 'being specially made so you can't buy them anywhere..."

Last edited by LoriGreenberg; 2011-03-09 at 4:38pm.
Old 2011-03-09, 4:38pm
Obsessed Blogger

Hi Beth.

I edited out the color guide that you posted as it is not a Beads of Courage color guide and we do not publish ours.

Beads of Courage is in talks with sites in Canada and is in the process of establishing what we need in order to do business in the country.

We will keep you posted! Until then, we can still use all of the beads you can donate!

Old 2011-03-09, 6:39pm
Formerly FishBulb

I do know the children's hospitals do usually have some sort of bead stringing program. If you're wanting to donate locally then you can call the hospital to ask if the program will take handmade beads.

I know the one here only saves the handmade ones for really special occasions, like if a child graduates from school for example.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-01-30, 8:52pm

We are excited to share with you the announcement of the incorporation of Beads of Courage CANADA. We have incorporated in Canada to allow for program growth, program support and sponsorship. This ensures the best support and services can be provided to clinicians and families who desire the support of Beads of Courage.

On behalf of the Beads of Courage Canada Board of Directors, it is an honor to share with you our growth and we are encouraged to one day provide this support to you at your local hospital.

Act of Courage beads will be graciously accepted. Please mail all donations to:

Beads of Courage Canada
3119-35th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta
T3E 0Z8
Old 2012-02-01, 11:28pm

That's great!
Old 2012-02-20, 9:02am
Mom to 20 paws

I am thrilled to see a Canadian chapter ! What kind of beads are you looking for ?

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2012-02-20, 10:14am

All of our Beads of Courage groups are in need of Act of Courage beads. If you go to our web site and check the artist page there is description of what we need and a link to a donation form that should accompany any beads that you send in. There is also a more detailed description of the Act of Courage beads in one of the Stickies at the top of the BoC Forum page.
Thanks very much!
Robert
Old 2012-02-27, 9:22pm

I am so excited to see the Saskatchewan Hospitals taking part! If you ever need a contact here, please let me know! Now to see what I can do to get our local beadmakers involved!

Shauna Mitru
Old 2012-02-29, 6:49am

Thanks Shauna, the kids need all of the bead makers we can get!

Robert
Old 2012-03-12, 4:34pm

So excited! Sent an email to Victoria to help me set up our first event in Regina! I have arranged for the City of Regina to sponsor us at their Neil Balkwill Civic Arts Centre where I teach. I have the beadmakers! Now to arrange a date!

Shauna
Old 2012-03-13, 4:14pm

That is awesome, I work in a hospital in BC and want to contribute too !
The project looks fabulous and supports the kids and families, if I can help in any way for the canadian side, please let me know !

Penny