Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2011-03-03, 9:57pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Default Nortel - Canada sales ?

Does anyone besides me, have difficulties ordering or getting merchandise information from Nortel in Canada? I made a few purchases from them, so they have ALL my financial information but I have sent Jean (2) emails about certain products with no responses. Is there someone else I should be contacting in regards to product information? Anyone?.......? thanks as always Sandy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2011-03-03, 10:10pm

I'm having trouble too. Ive been calling every few days and keep getting told my info will be coming later that day. My order isn't small either, it's all the equipment to set up two complete studios plus glass. I'm getting very frustrated.
Old 2011-03-03, 11:13pm
Hat or Cake?

Sandy, I know that dart13 says they have been calling, but try phoning Jean or Amy. There is a large bead show next week in Toronto so they may be up to their ears in prep for that.

Usually, they are quick to answer the phone. I don't know if Lorri is there, but I think Amy is, if Jean's not available.

Good luck.
Beth
Old 2011-03-04, 12:00am

Ya know what Jean..... About a year ago, a friend and I tried to place a fairly large order of glass and it took a couple "months" to finally get it, after ALOT of confusion and miss-steps on Nortel's part, BUT...... I would like to give them another chance and unfortunately, I sent both my emails to Jean and the first one was over a week ago.

When I first contacted Nortel, to start a business relationship, I had great service, but after my initial purchase, it seemed as if who ever was taking care of the US orders, was either never there or too busy or just forgot........but, once again, I've trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, so....... Is there someone else I should contact besides Jean at this point? Thanks again for the advise Sandy

Sandy

Old 2011-03-04, 4:38pm

Yep, I am very sorry to say that slow and/or no service is "the norm" for Nortel. After NUMEROUS large orders and REALLY LENGTHY delays (6 weeks, 5 weeks, 3 weeks) and NUMEROUS conversations with Jean and then Amy came on board ... I finally gave up. I cannot afford to run a business with crappy service like they were providing. When I started with them YEARS ago Jean was on her own running this end of things so I understood that she was extremely busy and tried to be patient ... but even when Amy came on board ... the crappy / no service continued in the same way. I tried to talk to them about this issue and got nowhere fast.

I really don't like to flame a business (or person for that matter)... but there are LOTS of business' out there that would truly be happy to serve you in a professional manner and APPRECIATE your business. They purchase their goods from Frantz

IMHO ... check out the numerous other sellers on LE and give your business to someone here who deserves it.

Cheryl

Old 2011-03-04, 5:36pm

I wish we had more choices in Canada. I'd love to order my stuff from the US but the shipping for heavy items like the kilns and concentrators I need is not cost effective.

I would just really like to get this order going and be done with it. Based on the comments I'm seeing I'm not optimistic.
Old 2011-03-04, 9:45pm

There's gotta be a better way, especially for the Canadian artists. Has anyone tried to contact the general manager and explained to him/her how orders are being handled and is that REALLY how they want their customers treated? I can't imagine any company being ok with a reputation for having poor or NO customer service...

I was ordering some products from Nortel, due to a discount I was able to get with the vendors in states, so that is the reason why I remained as a customer but if getting some resolution regarding orders isn't possible, no discount in the world is worth the headache. Any suggestions? I quess I can always give them a call on Monday..!

Sandy

Old 2011-03-04, 10:09pm

I hate to be a pessimist but I've been dealing mainly by phone and my situation isn't any different. I have been trying to get pricing/shipping info and get my order placed for almost six weeks. The only reason I'm being persistent is for the discounts I've been offered.

But I agree a discount isn't worth anything if we can't place an order.
Old 2011-03-04, 10:13pm

Oh and you should call if you haven't yet. I discovered early in this process that email wasn't the way to go...not that phoning gets better results but at least you will know that they're getting the info.

There doesn't seem to be any value to leaving a message because they don't appear to return calls. Good luck! Please let me know how you do.
Old 2011-03-05, 10:50am
Artistry In Glass

If you are looking for some options as far as a Canadian supplier goes, why not give us a try.

Old 2011-03-05, 12:05pm

I have ordered from AIG and am thrilled with the product and service.
Old 2011-03-05, 9:20pm
Formerly FishBulb

I was going to suggest Artistry In Glass.

Also, keep in mind any expiry dates there may be on your Nortel transactions; if you paid through PayPal (dunno if they take PP or not...) then you've only got 45 days to cancel the transaction and get your money back. Credit cards give you a bit more time but still, check with them to make sure. Open a dispute if you don't hear anything soon.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-03-06, 7:55pm
what a blast!

Hi there
Amy is no longer at Nortel, she left in the Fall of 2010. You could call and ask for Paul he is there and supports Jean. I believe Lori only works part-time.
Good Luck.
Carol

Old 2011-03-08, 6:30am

Quote:
Hi there
Amy is no longer at Nortel, she left in the Fall of 2010. You could call and ask for Paul he is there and supports Jean. I believe Lori only works part-time.
Good Luck.
Carol
I guess my experience with Nortel is different. I have both visited Nortel and picked up orders, when visiting Toronto, as well as ordered over the phone.

What I truly like about Nortel is that they many times have the glass colors that no one else has ... as it frustrates me to see a Vetro, Effetre or CiM color that is available in the USA and not in Canada...

I balance my purchases 70-30 between Nortel & Artistry in Glass, when they have what I need, for the basic colors... but when I want odds etc, Nortel is where I find them. Nortel's prices are competitive and the discount that I get makes it even better.

I know that , based on my last conversation with Jean, just a couple of weeks ago, their US suppliers have short shipped many of their orders... so they are not getting all the glass colors that they are expecting... and that is frustrating for both them and the customers.. Added with the transportation costs of shipping it to Canada and then out to customers and the US v CAD dollar, this is a difficult time for all our Canadian suppliers... that is why I support them.

If I am in the minority, well I consider myself blessed, as I have always been pleased with their customer service, but again... I phone direct... I don't email my orders...

E-Bay:

Old 2011-03-08, 7:12am
geekitude on two wheels

The Glass Shoppe Studio
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in Ottawa is another Canadian option
Old 2011-03-08, 7:40pm

I have nothing good to say about Nortel. And yes after many non shipped orders, frustrations, miss placed e-mails, I gave up dealing with them. I even went as far as complaining to Peter the owner, via e-mail, he was kind enough to give me a call, said he would look after my problem order, and guess what, that was a year ago and to this day still have not received my product. So I guess the non-customer service does start at the top, and rolls down hill from there. I would advise anyone, if you want to keep your sanity, do not deal with them.

Peter or Jean if you read this, which I hope you do, you could have a gold mine there if only you would treat the customer as the customer and ship the product on a timely basis. Why don't you Get one or two good customer service people, (please don't train them yourselves), have a few rules in place, ie. answer e-mails, answer phones, price orders within a day, better yet, get pricing on your almost non existing web site, and have orders shipped within 48 hours, etc., Oh Sorry, then it would actually be a business that even I would deal with.

Valerie Stretch

Old 2011-03-08, 8:23pm

I'm in Calgary and have always gotten super service from AIG. Tried dealing with Nortel long ago and gave up.
Old 2011-03-08, 8:32pm

Brutal. I will wait until the end of the week and then move on. I got an email yesterday saying I'd get all my info today but that didn't happen.

Has anyone had any luck negotiating prices anywhere?
Old 2011-03-10, 10:11am

Nortel has always given me wonderful customer service, and responded to my emails immediately. I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues - there must be a good explanation as Jean has always been amazing with me.
Old 2011-03-10, 5:51pm

I too can vouch for Artistry in Glass GREAT service!

Cheryl

Old 2011-03-11, 7:55pm
what a blast!

Jean was one of the first people I met when I got interested in beadmaking. I met her at a show and she walked me around and introduced me to several Canadian bead artists. As such, I almost exclusively order all my stuff from Nortel. But being in Toronto if I need something I just drive over and pick it up. Jean has always treated me really well. I also find colours at Nortel that I can't find anywhere else.

I have also ordered from AIG and had excellent service from them as well.

Grace Edwards from The Glass Shoppe in Ottawa also is great to work with.

All in all we have some great choices for lampwork supplies in Ontario.

Carol

Quote:
I guess my experience with Nortel is different. I have both visited Nortel and picked up orders, when visiting Toronto, as well as ordered over the phone.

What I truly like about Nortel is that they many times have the glass colors that no one else has ... as it frustrates me to see a Vetro, Effetre or CiM color that is available in the USA and not in Canada...

I balance my purchases 70-30 between Nortel & Artistry in Glass, when they have what I need, for the basic colors... but when I want odds etc, Nortel is where I find them. Nortel's prices are competitive and the discount that I get makes it even better.

I know that , based on my last conversation with Jean, just a couple of weeks ago, their US suppliers have short shipped many of their orders... so they are not getting all the glass colors that they are expecting... and that is frustrating for both them and the customers.. Added with the transportation costs of shipping it to Canada and then out to customers and the US v CAD dollar, this is a difficult time for all our Canadian suppliers... that is why I support them.

If I am in the minority, well I consider myself blessed, as I have always been pleased with their customer service, but again... I phone direct... I don't email my orders...

Old 2011-03-12, 6:04am

Carol, I see from your tag line that you LOVE CiM Glass...
Me too!!
Kathy from CiM is a great gal to work with and it was Nortel that introduced me to CiM glass!

Just as an added note about Nortel... When I travel to Toronto for business and set aside to meet with Peter or Jean from Nortel(usually on a Sunday), Peter has always met me at the local RT train stop, picked me up and when my glass shopping is completed, popped me back to the train station. For those of you living in large cities, this is a big plus for someone visiting without a car.
It has allowed me to visit Nortel without renting a car, carrying 15 pounds of glass for blocks to a bus stop, or paying for a taxi cab in a big city without knowing the route..
Don't think there are too many companies that provide that sort of service!

D.

Quote:
Jean was one of the first people I met when I got interested in beadmaking. I met her at a show and she walked me around and introduced me to several Canadian bead artists. As such, I almost exclusively order all my stuff from Nortel. But being in Toronto if I need something I just drive over and pick it up. Jean has always treated me really well. I also find colours at Nortel that I can't find anywhere else.

I have also ordered from AIG and had excellent service from them as well.

Grace Edwards from The Glass Shoppe in Ottawa also is great to work with.

All in all we have some great choices for lampwork supplies in Ontario.

Carol

E-Bay:

Old 2011-03-12, 6:06am
state-eternal change

When I lived in Canada, I never emailed any orders in to Nortel - always called, and got what I ordered usually next day. They would even put my order in with a neighbour artist's order and vice versa, to save us both on shipping.. Artistry in Glass is awesome, and Grace in Ottawa is superb too.

Old 2011-03-12, 7:11am

I have done business with both Nortel and Artistry In Glass and was very satisfied with all the transactions. I have had excellent service from both companies.

Nancy
Old 2011-03-12, 6:24pm

Wow ladies.... I'm so very jealous let you have received great service from Nortel. I sooooo wish I could order products from them again or even get some information about there products as I did with my first order with them. I assure you, I didn't start this thread to bash Nortel, I just couldn't figure out WHY the customer service went so bad. I thought perhaps Jean was having personal issues or maybe they had closed-up shop or maybe I was trying to contact the wrong person for my torch order, I just didn't know, since I wasn't receiving any response from them. If anyone has any suggestions on how us US customers could get orders expedited, I'm sure WE ALL would greatly appreciate it.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel does have some pretty awesome colors that US stores don't have and that is one of the reasons why I started ordering from them, besides the great discount Jean placed on my account........

Sandy

Old 2011-03-12, 7:27pm

AIG has a lot of the same colors and they often have sales. If you are on facebook, find their page and 'like' it and you will be informed of what they have going on.

I am moving on and will be placing my order elsewhere. I did finally get a quote from Nortel but it wasn't complete and I just don't have the energy to continue back and forth for another two months with them.
Old 2011-03-12, 7:31pm
Artistry In Glass

Default A Little Note On Discounts

Hi All;

Was reading here, and saw the mentions about discounts. In a lot of cases, discounts really mean nothing.
As an example, if someone is selling glass at $12.00/lb. and gives you a 30% discount, the price is now $8.40/lb. Sounds great at first, but if you do a comparison to our glass which starts at $7.80/lb. with no discount, is it really a bargain?
Discounts are only great depending on what the base price is to start with - sometimes they mean nothing.

Sorry - a little off topic but could be worthwhile.

John

Old 2011-03-12, 7:38pm

I agree John! Things aren't always as good as they seem. Customer service means a whole lot to me and I have been absolutely thrilled with the response/customer service I've received from AIG.
Old 2011-03-13, 5:11pm
what a blast!

Today I went to the Canadian Bead Oasis Show. Jean welcomed me with open arms to her booth. I even got to volunteer at the booth and spread the joy to others who visit the booth. I had so much fun!

Often when I get my order from Jean, there is a little surprise sample of something fun to try and play with.

Jean has often gone above and beyond by bringing in items for my husband to give to me a birthday and christmas gifts. One year it was a table-top photo studio. Another year a pair of Carlo Donna shears.

I feel very blessed at having such a great relationship with Jean and Nortel!

Carol

Quote:
Carol, I see from your tag line that you LOVE CiM Glass...
Me too!!
Kathy from CiM is a great gal to work with and it was Nortel that introduced me to CiM glass!

Just as an added note about Nortel... When I travel to Toronto for business and set aside to meet with Peter or Jean from Nortel(usually on a Sunday), Peter has always met me at the local RT train stop, picked me up and when my glass shopping is completed, popped me back to the train station. For those of you living in large cities, this is a big plus for someone visiting without a car.
It has allowed me to visit Nortel without renting a car, carrying 15 pounds of glass for blocks to a bus stop, or paying for a taxi cab in a big city without knowing the route..
Don't think there are too many companies that provide that sort of service!

D.

Old 2011-03-14, 10:59am

Man, I'd never come into a thread, bashing a fellow vendor, to prey on the lost business.

Vendors should earn their business the right way. Promote your own good service in a separate thread.