Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2016-12-29, 7:26am

Default Should I buy this? Please Help

Ok so bare with me here, brand new to lamp working and am planning to set up my garage glass working studio this coming year, It will be a long process but I am looking for supplies here and there and came across this set up. Basically a couple welding oxy/acetylene torches, hoses, regulators and such. I don't plan to use the hoses as I plan to purchase them brand new. I notice some people using acetylene regulators for propane. My question is basically, for $20 do these regulators or anything pictured do me any good or have any use in my shop?

My long term plan is a Lynx Torch with Bottled Oxygen and Propane, although I may go with natural gas as I have a line not too far away and a buddy in the gas business.

Very confused as to why some oxygen regulators I see are $30 and some over $100, Can someone point me towards an answer? I do nothing but reading about this upcoming hobby, and its all starting to blur! I need to take a break lol, but I came across this and wanted to ask someone who may know before I waste a couple dollars. Thank you!
Attached Images

Old 2016-12-29, 8:39am

Hi JM, and welcome to The Addiction!

I would pass on these items myself. Safety is a prime concern in lampworking, and part of being safe is using the proper tools for the job. There is lots of good info in the Safety threads here on LE. I know you are itching to melt that glass, but take a little time to make the right setup.

Hopefully some others will chime in...

Good luck,
Helene
Old 2016-12-29, 8:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofsheba52 View Post
Hi JM, and welcome to The Addiction!

I would pass on these items myself. Safety is a prime concern in lampworking, and part of being safe is using the proper tools for the job. There is lots of good info in the Safety threads here on LE. I know you are itching to melt that glass, but take a little time to make the right setup.

Hopefully some others will chime in...

Good luck,
Helene
Thanks for the Reply, I am not looking at using these torches really at all, Really just concerned with if I can use the regulators mostly! It will be a little bit before any glass is getting melted, just planning for a setup over the next year. I plan to take time to do it right, just wondering if these regulators would be worth the entire purchase. Thanks again.
Old 2016-12-29, 9:48am

Hi, I can help a little with your regulator questions.
Some people use acetylene regulators because the scale is relevant for the sorts of pressures you would use with these torches. Propane regulators I've seen go to much higher pressures than the 5-10 psig you would use.
I think the difference in price you might be seeing for some regulators is the difference between a single stage and a two stage regulator. Someone else will need to reply about which to use, as I have an oxycon instead. A studio I often work in has two stage regulators, but they run all the time and for more applications. It might depend if this is a hobby or a job, too.
Good luck and welcome to the addiction I do agree with Helene, and if you can afford it, I would go for newer regulators. Seals fail, diaphragms fail, and I guess I would wonder about the history of these tools.
Old 2016-12-29, 9:53am

Thank you, Thats pretty much my concern too, just figured someone with more knowledge than me, which is mostly everyone on this subject, would know if the purchase was worth it. Thank Y'all...now off to figure out the regulator differences!!
Old 2016-12-29, 5:55pm
Phill

You might want to pass on these.

Propane causes the rubber in acetylene hoses to melt and get gummy and pretty much disintegrate and that fouls up the inside of your torch before the hoses fail outright.

Regulators have rubber like diaphragms inside them and these get brittle with age and can also have the same disintegration issues.

As for the difference in $$$ it really is still the classic case of getting what you pay for.

Good high quality regulators will serve you for a few decades, the less expensive ones for a few years.

Make sure the hoses you get are rated "type T" so they can handle the propane chemistry.

That said, I used a new welders torch setup for my first three dozen times melting glass on propane and oxygen tanks.

I now use an oxy con and house hold natural gas and keep my welders kit in the garage for metal working.

If you can get that whole rig for $20 I would say go for it but I would not plan on using it for melting glass more than a dozen times.

It's an inexpensive stop gap while you hunt for better but don't use it often or for very long.

If you don't really have a need for owning a welder your $20 might be better spent elsewhere.

ETA: Do look for a regulator that has the word propane or propylene and avoid ones that say "for Acetylene only"

Last edited by Speedslug; 2016-12-29 at 5:58pm.
Old 2016-12-29, 7:09pm

I bought this 2 and a half years ago and its great. it has everything you need to hook a torch to tanks including check valves and flashback arrestors. T grade hose and regulators.

$148 for everything new is a far safer way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Devardi-Glass...=Devardi+Glass
Old 2018-08-03, 1:59am

Thanks for this info,guys!