LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-10-02, 8:43am

Default Can you use 96 dichroic inside 104?

I was given a whole bundle of very pretty bullseye and other varieties of 96 dichroic sheets and scrap. I mostly use 104 rods. But I have some 96 clear rods.

What I would like to do, is use the dichroic with my 104, but worry it will all crack. I know people use 96 frit all the time...

Can you use 96 dichroic inside 104 beads, pendants, marbles and designs?

Thanks.
Old 2015-10-02, 8:57am
Marble Lover

Based on this recent thread:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281987

and what I've read here and other places, you probably won't get away with mixing 96 with 104 unless the 96 is on the outside and is used very sparingly.

If the 96 dichro ends up being unusable to you, I may be interested in buying it. Let me know what you have and what price. I make pendants and earrings and give them away and I'm running low on 96 Dichro.

-BEP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-10-02, 9:00am
Dichro Addict

I used some 104 stringer on top of a 96 bead and every one cracked. 96 frit on a 104 bead, however, does not crack. You could try it. 104 over 90 dichro (the dichro was mislabed) nearly exploded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-10-02, 9:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi Dane View Post
I was given a whole bundle of very pretty bullseye and other varieties of 96 dichroic sheets and scrap. I mostly use 104 rods. But I have some 96 clear rods.

What I would like to do, is use the dichroic with my 104, but worry it will all crack. I know people use 96 frit all the time...

Can you use 96 dichroic inside 104 beads, pendants, marbles and designs?

Thanks.
No. The tiny bit of 92-96 frit that people use with 104, 96 and 90 is furnace glass and has lead and other metals to help make it stretchy in round form. Like a bead. Once you press that bead incompatibility may occur where it would not on a rounder form. (a generalization, yes, but it does happen) Using any other type of frit, like System96 with 104 Italian rods is a no-no.
96 dichro is made on clear, black (or sometimes color) sheet glass (generally Uroboros- who makes System96). Dichro is just a thin metallic coating.

There is good news though...many places sell System96 by the rod so you can use the dichro all you want.

Old 2015-10-02, 10:23am
Dazed and Confused

If you're willing to do it, there's no reason why you can't use the 90 scrap to make beads with. You can pull stringers with the 90 and for thicker 'rods' you can use the sheet glass cut into thin strips, and it will work fine. In fact, thin strips of clear are really good for encasing. You can also punty up smaller pieces on to existing clear rods to make use of them. I have a couple of boro rods that I use exclusively as punties for scrap glass - boro being good as it melts at a higher temp, and therefore doesn't mix with the softer glass as well.

Just make sure that you only use the 90 with the 90, or you'll get incompatibility. But there's no reason not to make/torch whatever you want with the 90 glass. I have dozens of beads made with leftover scrap from fusing pieces.

ETA - I'm assuming by "Bullseye" you mean 90coe? If not, the advice above still holds, as long as you make your beads out of the same type of glass.

Last edited by speedingpullet; 2015-10-02 at 10:25am.
Old 2015-10-02, 12:50pm
I fart diamonds

No. You can use the 96 dichro with the 96 rods you have, but not with 104 or 90.