No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-23, 6:50am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Default Those who work soft and boro...

Do you find you are disappointed with the colors you get from the silver glasses in soft?

I am. I keep wondering why I buy it. But I do. Then I make a bead, go "Meh", then make some boro beads and go YEAH!

Maybe something is telling me to stop doing soft....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-08-23, 9:27am

I agree with you. Soft glass is more persnickity too! I have set my boro aside right now and have been playing with soft glass again! I missed some of the colors! That new pink boro in the sale rack just caught my eye though.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-08-23, 10:44am

I have been tempted to get out the soft glass but I haven't done it. In the end, I don't think I can get the many tones and beautiful outlines with the soft glass. But there are those bright colors that I do miss. I have to limit myself or I don't accomplish anything and since I am trying to make a few dollars with this I have to focus. Focus, Sandy!
Old 2009-08-23, 11:44am

The biggest reason I *don't* like boro (and I won't use it) is that the beads freakin' change color in different light. While I like that FOR MYSELF, I HATE, HATE, HATE it for selling jewelry. In this part of the country, & in the markets I deal in, that's a HUGE drawback. I get "oh, I bought this because I thought it would match my whatever, but when I got to the office, it didn't MATCH anymore!, can I have an exchange/refund/whatever"...and it drives me batty. So....I'd rather have the soft-glass sivler-glass colors, because they're what-you-see-is-what-they-stay. No matter what the lighting, blue stays blue & purple stays purple & brown, well, it's always gonna be a brown bead, not suddenly purple when they step out in the sunshine!
For a sculpture, well, I'm all over the pretties, but...I make earrings...shrug....and sell them to people who hunt deer & raise sheep & fix trucks & are buying something as a gift for their wife who likes "blue" or are buying something to match their "green dress", it needs to STAY the color they think it is .

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-08-23, 11:54am
Ad astra per aspera

I'm on the verge of blaming my torch for problems. Boro is very hard work for me, and I'm frequently disappointed by my results. I seem to either over or under-work it on a regular basis.

Silvered 104 glass has been hit or miss, too, but more and more hits have been coming my way lately. I guess I'm finding my groove, at last.

Sometimes I really want to blame my torch configuration. I was on the same torch Thurs & Fri at a studio, but on propane and an EX-15 concentrator instead of my house-pressure NG and my Onyx+. The Midrange at the other studio was much hotter, with a larger, more powerful flame that I get at home. I'm just not sure what to 'fix' to improve things. For soft glass, at home, my setup is dandy. Boro, though, is getting more and more frustrating.

If I were going to give up anything, boro would be it. But, wahhhhhhh, I still love the colors! OTOH, I adore the huge palette of colors for 104 just as much.

Old 2009-08-23, 12:07pm
product of the universe

I normally work boro but the precision silvers i've used all but one work really well for me.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-08-23, 12:22pm
PyronamixK

The fuel you use makes a difference. You can get more heat out of propane than NG (regardless of the pressure). With NG, you have to keep it in the flame longer to get the heat to soak in. The longer you heat it up, the more you beat it up.
Old 2009-08-23, 4:59pm
Bead Obsessed

It's the reason I started working boro. My son Chris kept telling me...."why do you struggle with that silvered glass trying to get good color..you should just work boro". So I did.

Old 2009-08-23, 6:22pm

I work with both and like/love both for different reasons. I think I'm more of a boro kid, but dang, I sure love the soft too. I haven't played with the silvered glass all that much, but loved what I was getting when I did. The transition between the two is hard for me though when I switch back and forth.

Old 2009-08-23, 7:20pm
Borovangelist

Hmmph..I don't know, I haven't played with soft in a long time. I'm on the concentrator this week instead of my tanks. Since I'm on the Cricket maybe I'll bust out the DH sitting lonely in the rack

I'm not even sure I have a soft program on my controller anymore LOL

|
|
Old 2009-08-23, 7:27pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

See, I can't get this on my silver glass (I get mud)

Old 2009-08-24, 7:21am
Pyromaniac

I don't think soft glass does that

In all seriousness, I had just started playing with reactive/striking/silvered soft glass when I got sidetracked by Boro. It seems to me that they're equally easy (and/or difficult) to get color from, but the effects you get are very different between the soft and hard glass. I still haven't found a raku-like effect in boro - and I kind of like it that they're different. More arrows in my quiver, so to speak.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-08-24, 4:45pm

I love boro...For me it is much easier to get effects than from soft glass.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !