Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-12-19, 4:22pm
Angie09

Default What did I do wrong with this bead??

I read in one of the LE posts to do a bead of Blue Caramel and put Red Elvis dots on top. Then reduce it for a silver metallic shine. Well, I got the metallic shine (VERY COOL) but only at the ends of the bead around the mandrel and no matter how much I reduced, it just won't all go. Here's what I ended up with .... What did I do wrong?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 2010-12-19, 5:28pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I've never gotten a 'metallic silver shine', almost like a mirror. That's what I've occasionally hoped for, but no cigar! However, what you got is exactly what I would have expected to get with blue caramel and red elvis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-19, 5:43pm
Angie09

The little bit I got was silver and shiny!! But just at the mandrel holes which has to mean something .... I'm just not smart enough to know what. Someone has to know ....
Old 2010-12-19, 7:38pm
Borovangelist

I'm curious too, but my best bit of observation is that the silvered bit was "reflective" of your flame when you laid down your foot print. So if you were doing something different then, do it the same later

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2010-12-19, 7:44pm
Pyromaniac

It looks reduced to me because of the creamy appearance but you can try using a reduction flame and then an oxidizing flame to the rod and see what happens.

I know for caramel they recommend using a neutral to oxidizing flame to work it and then bathe it in a reducing flame at the end to get the mirror effect.

You may have already seen this from NS:
#NS0081 Blue Caramel is a lush high intensity silvery striking color. If worked in a super oxidizing flame it will yield smoky blues and greens. If reduced it provides the user with an extremely silvery tan color. If encased, the color turns to be a brilliant metallic green. It is easy to work and is well suited for stringer applications and blown work. Try layering #NS0066 Sublime over the surface for a wonderful green effect!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2010-12-19 at 7:49pm.
Old 2010-12-19, 9:10pm
ManBearPig

If you want a metallic silver shine, make a black bead then fume it with silver. Much more consistent than trying to get shine from a finicky color...

Old 2010-12-19, 9:23pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
If you want a metallic silver shine, make a black bead then fume it with silver. Much more consistent than trying to get shine from a finicky color...
Would you apply the red after the fuming though? Otherwise your red's going to look weird, but in that case you also risk burning off the silver.

|
|
Old 2010-12-19, 9:29pm
ManBearPig

I'm not sure. I really dislike the metallic thing, so I strive to avoid it. But, if I were going to try to do it, I'd probably do the black, fume it, add the red with a reducing flame, melt it in, then hit the whole thing with a heavily reducing flame to bring the shine back to the silver. You do run the risk of the fume collecting on the red though, but that would happen using a heavily saturated color as well.

Old 2010-12-20, 6:09am
Angie09

Thanks everyone ... the fact that I got a little of the silver metallic at the ends made me hopeful there was a way to do this .... but .... guess I'll try the fuming. I appreciate all the input!!!
Old 2010-12-20, 6:34am
The Battle of Boro Boro

Angie, I've had a good bit of luck with GA's luster series doing a quick 2-3 second super heavy (almost fuel only) reduction at the very end...never tried it with Blue Moon though as I am addicted to more organic creamy look that you achieved in the bead.

btw - I love it!

Old 2010-12-20, 6:53am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyCreekGlass View Post
Angie, I've had a good bit of luck with GA's luster series doing a quick 2-3 second super heavy (almost fuel only) reduction at the very end
So something like Caramel Luster would turn metallic?
Old 2010-12-20, 9:08am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

We occasionally talk of different batches of color reacting differently, like the color of this batch is different than the color of our last batch, and this batch doesn't boil as much as my last batch of the same color... So, I wonder how evenly the silver is dispersed through the rod of glass. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Old 2010-12-20, 10:02am
Pyromaniac

Quick pic of what the blast of propane does after you have finished forming your piece in a neutral to oxidizing flame.
This is Blue Moon (hard to capture but it is a slightly ice blue metallic silver at the top:

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-12-20, 3:16pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
So something like Caramel Luster would turn metallic?
Sadly, no. Caramel Luster doesn't do much of anything these days. The old formula was great. The new one... not so much.

The more saturated a color is the more you can get the metallic effect. I would use Silver Strike 5. I thought they had a Silver Strike 8 or something now that was even more saturated.

Old 2010-12-20, 4:07pm
Angie09

OK Cosmo ... I'll try it with SS5 with Elvis dots and let you all know if it does anything exciting!!
Old 2010-12-20, 6:38pm

Quote:
Sadly, no. Caramel Luster doesn't do much of anything these days. The old formula was great. The new one... not so much.

The more saturated a color is the more you can get the metallic effect. I would use Silver Strike 5. I thought they had a Silver Strike 8 or something now that was even more saturated.
They had a glasstique color for a while called "silver sands" that was also really heavy on the silver.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-12-20, 6:48pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
They had a glasstique color for a while called "silver sands" that was also really heavy on the silver.
That was probably what I was thinking of.

Old 2010-12-20, 6:56pm

Quote:
That was probably what I was thinking of.
I still have some of it. If you swirl it with dark brown it looks like coffee with cream swirled in. If you hit it with a very brief reduction flame it looks like coffee with mercury swirled into.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-12-20, 8:00pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
I still have some of it. If you swirl it with dark brown it looks like coffee with cream swirled in. If you hit it with a very brief reduction flame it looks like coffee with mercury swirled into.
Ahhhhh....sounds cool!! Don't suppose Glasstiques are still sold any where? I know ABR has a few ... maybe I'll email Ross and see if they have this one!
Old 2010-12-20, 10:16pm

Default Blue Carmel

Were you looking for something more like the picture below?
That is blue carmel with silver iris. I worked the blue carmelin a neutral to ox flame and then decorated with the silver iris. I don't leave the bead in the flame to long or I lose the metalic and have something more like the bead you showed. I watch for the metalic "bloom" and finish quickly after that
Hope this helps.
Old 2010-12-21, 5:38am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddypaws View Post
Were you looking for something more like the picture below?
That is blue carmel with silver iris. I worked the blue carmelin a neutral to ox flame and then decorated with the silver iris. I don't leave the bead in the flame to long or I lose the metalic and have something more like the bead you showed. I watch for the metalic "bloom" and finish quickly after that
Hope this helps.
Yes, that's it! Do you cool it and then reduce? Or are you reducing at all??
Old 2010-12-21, 7:51am

Beautiful colors.
Old 2010-12-21, 4:23pm

Not reducing at all. Just watching for the metallic to show in the neutral to oxy flame. That is the most important part for me to get the colors that I see.
I have only been working with the torch for about a year - renting a torch at a studio - so I am not sure of the settings - usually set more for soft glass so if you are working with your own torch you will want to really watch for what I call the metallic "bloom" at get as much done as quickly after that as possible.
I have not tried Red Elvis in combination - so I am not sure whether there is some kind of reaction that is letting me get the colors that I get.
Thanks for the compliment. I am pretty new at all of this so I am sorry I can't help you more
Old 2010-12-21, 6:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Ahhhhh....sounds cool!! Don't suppose Glasstiques are still sold any where? I know ABR has a few ... maybe I'll email Ross and see if they have this one!
No, ABR didn't have the actual GA glasstique stuff. They just used the same name which is why GA renamed their stuff to Revolution 33 I believe. I don't have enough to share, but somebody may if you post a WTB message in the garage sale.

Old 2010-12-23, 3:13pm
Renee Weaver

I made this vessel with carmel and it went metallic very nicely. I made this many times and I learned not to work it a long time in the flame or it tended to go creamy rather than metallic. I don't know if this helps at all.

Old 2010-12-23, 5:15pm
Angie09

Thanks Paddypaws and Renee for the photos ... and yes, that's what I'm looking for! I must just be cooking mine too much. I'll try again and pay more attention.

Thanks for all the info everyone!!
Old 2010-12-23, 10:08pm
Newb boro fanatic

I've gotten NS Blue caramel to go metallic deliberately, with a light reducing flame I think, and not for very long in the flame ether. I also did the thing they said to try in the user manual and encased with sublime, and the mirrored finish turned a bright gold/yellow! Neat stuff